Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]
 
vroomapunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 6,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Why would you retro it when you've already paid for the upgrades?

I mean, all it has that you would really want is the bang for the buck but you've already spent it so..lol Kinda moot at this point.

I'd say the Brakes, Wheels, and Gears would be about the most you'd want out of it.

Or just go trade "down" to one and make out better.

Good luck!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Brakes are the same, just red right?

Unless ur talking about lines or something
__________________
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
 
Ivan @ Southwest Speed's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 12,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Brakes are the same, just red right?

Unless ur talking about lines or something
The lines make the real difference so yes, just swapping the lines would be better.

And yes, you are correct as well. But the red has to make them better right? LOL.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Mutant Racer

 
Mutant Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Why would you retro it when you've already paid for the upgrades?

I mean, all it has that you would really want is the bang for the buck but you've already spent it so..lol Kinda moot at this point.

I'd say the Brakes, Wheels, and Gears would be about the most you'd want out of it.

Or just go trade "down" to one and make out better.

Good luck!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Well that what I need you guys for. I've owned heavily modded cars in the past but I bought them modded. This is my first time getting my hands dirty and doing things part by part.

I have some spec sheets and supposedly the new one for the 1LE track pack.

The ZL1 wheels I'm getting a deal on. The 3.91 gears I need. The truss rod is just well I might as well. I never believed they ever actually did much for a car, just looks.

Currently I'm looking at....

Stainless Racing Brake lines from Apex.

DBA 4000 front and rear rotors from Maryland Speed.

Pfadt lowering springs or I might just go with coil overs (I'm twisted on that one).

I have BMR Sways but want a bigger bar on the rear. Maybe ZL1? Or Pfadt?

I can't make heads or tails over sub-frame connectors. Perhaps you guys can give the 411 on that.

I need axles.

Engine Mounts and subframe bushings.



Let me scan these papers so you guys can see them.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
VADER SS L99


 
VADER SS L99's Avatar
 
Drives: Z71, 2001 Trans Am, 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,908
I think the sub frame connectors on this car are not that big of a deal. Suspension mods that you should do would be trailing arms, cradle bushings, diff bushings. Coil overs are going to be alot better than just springs but you pay for it. I'm not real keen on the handling side of things for this car but sway bars might help and I think the 1LE has better sways than a SS if I'm not mistaken. The 3.91 gears are going to need a tune so might as well get a good CAI and Long tube headers to go with that tune. For the money I like aftermarket wheels like the TSW Nurburgrigs's or Forgestar wheels over true ZL1/1LE wheels.
__________________
BLK/BLK 1SS/RS Ordered 11-01-2009 Took delivery 12-22-2009. Heads/cam/converter/bolt ons. SOLD Feb 2015 to fund 6th gen LT1 SS with 8L90E.
VADER SS L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Abrahams11SS
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Black-n-Orange
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 713
I have ZL1 wheels, BMR 1 inch drop springs and sway bars and it made a huge difference in my car's ability to move around. I'm assuming it's pretty similar to the 1LE now. But I'm also thinking of the gears but only due to the fact that I went with at TSP 231/236 cam with CAI, headers and catback... It's a whole new animal now but I'm only thinking of the gears to help with driving around town.. Bucking and surging at low rpms..
Abrahams11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
NinoSS

 
Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,551
Aside from the rear sway bar geometry and trans ratio my car is essentially a 1LE, but more power (see sig). I have carefully selected my mods to create a car that does everything very well. There are faster setups or better handling setups, but like the 1LE it is a great DD.
__________________
SOLD Vengeance stage I cam (442rwhp/412rwtq) / CAI intake w/ADM race scoop / Dynatech LT's / ATI udp / JRE tuned / Eaton Posi LPE-JRE 3.91's / L99 Corsa / Whiteline Sways & Bushings / UMI Trailing Arms & Toe Rods / ZL1 wheels / NT05 275/315
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Avenging Orange

 
Avenging Orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clermont, IN
Posts: 1,696
Would I make my SS a 1LE? No, its an SS. But simply modding it to make it better, yes.
__________________
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather,Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Haltech CAI , non synthetic fluids, Mike Norris tuned 419/413
Avenging Orange: 38 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Mutant Racer

 
Mutant Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Would I make my SS a 1LE? No, its an SS. But simply modding it to make it better, yes.
Yeah there are plenty of 1LE parts to pick and choose from, some of which I can get a nice deal on. Doing the whole 1LE setup would not be cost effective on a 2SS already on the street.

Some of the vendors around here need to have their heads pulled out of their asses. When a prospective customer is about to spend solid money on mods and Ivan the Special chimes in like he owns Camaro5 then this place becomes a joke. Talk about a stupid move.

I'll spend some time at the track talking to real drivers.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Avenging Orange

 
Avenging Orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clermont, IN
Posts: 1,696
There are so many quality aftermarket parts out there that are better than e GM stuff. I will say, the 1LE ring/pinion is dirt cheap compared to others. As for brakes and suspension, I'd go aftermarket.
__________________
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather,Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Haltech CAI , non synthetic fluids, Mike Norris tuned 419/413
Avenging Orange: 38 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013
 
sycraft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray Z51-Ho-Vette
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Your friendly neighborhood Mutant Racer has some money coming my way and if you were me would you 1LE your 2SS for the track?

Yes?

No?

Hellafreakinyeah!

No way dummy the 1LE is a joke!


Your thoughts?
My LS is sporting full 1LE suspension and LSR upgrades.... Handles Amazingly
__________________

2015 Corvette Stingray Z51, 7 Speed, Competition Seats, Red Calipers, Carbon Flash Badges and Trim, Adrenaline Red Interior, Custom Stripes, Tint, Lowered on stock bolts, Z06 Grill, Z06 Splitter, Borla Exhaust (soon)
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
JDP Sales

 
JDP Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
Well that what I need you guys for. I've owned heavily modded cars in the past but I bought them modded. This is my first time getting my hands dirty and doing things part by part.

I have some spec sheets and supposedly the new one for the 1LE track pack.

The ZL1 wheels I'm getting a deal on. The 3.91 gears I need. The truss rod is just well I might as well. I never believed they ever actually did much for a car, just looks.

Currently I'm looking at....

Stainless Racing Brake lines from Apex.

DBA 4000 front and rear rotors from Maryland Speed.

Pfadt lowering springs or I might just go with coil overs (I'm twisted on that one).

I have BMR Sways but want a bigger bar on the rear. Maybe ZL1? Or Pfadt?

I can't make heads or tails over sub-frame connectors. Perhaps you guys can give the 411 on that.

I need axles.

Engine Mounts and subframe bushings.



Let me scan these papers so you guys can see them.
I can work out a great package deal for many of these items if you are interested. Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
epstein
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transplanted from NYC..(ret. NYPD).Now in CT
Posts: 904
Send a message via AIM to epstein
1400 Hp axles..... Brake lines..... assorted suspension goodies..... and your already better than a 1LE...... so ya didnt get kool "factory " wheels.......
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Go talk to Tyler or Jordan at JDP. They sell all sorts of vendors parts and actually road race and Auto-X their own 5th Gen so they can give you some real world advice on what has worked for them.

To me I would do a combo of something like this:
Cradle and rear end bushings (you can probably get away with inserts)
Toe rods and Tie rods (either BMR, Spohn, or Pfadt)
Coilovers
Pedders ZL1 or Pfadt sways with a conversion to FE4 control arms
Gears
Short throw shifter
Stainless brake lines and DOT 4 fluid
Maybe some aftermarket brake pads but so far for me OEM pads/rotors have worked
Clutch fluid separator
Some better wheels
A good alignment

All that will get you in the right direction. Just my opinion though.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
JDP Sales

 
JDP Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Go talk to Tyler or Jordan at JDP. They sell all sorts of vendors parts and actually road race and Auto-X their own 5th Gen so they can give you some real world advice on what has worked for them.

To me I would do a combo of something like this:
Cradle and rear end bushings (you can probably get away with inserts)
Toe rods and Tie rods (either BMR, Spohn, or Pfadt)
Coilovers
Pedders ZL1 or Pfadt sways with a conversion to FE4 control arms
Gears
Short throw shifter
Stainless brake lines and DOT 4 fluid
Maybe some aftermarket brake pads but so far for me OEM pads/rotors have worked
Clutch fluid separator
Some better wheels
A good alignment

All that will get you in the right direction. Just my opinion though.
All great suggestions. Thanks for the support!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.