Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
J_fit03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Oil type.

What is the best type of oil to use on my 2012 SS? A friend of mine told me about Rotella T6 and to do research on it to see if I could use it in my car. He said on his car it took it well and better response. Of course he has a Subie. But what about on a Camaro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J_fit03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS. Crystal Red
Amsoil

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You can use whatever you want....as long as you change it regularly. But I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying that...so I digress. If you are a warranty kind of person, use what the owners manual says and make sure someone legit does it so you have documentation. If you don't care about warranty, then refer to sentence #1. Most of your big name synthetics will work fine........and again, refer to sentence #1.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You can use whatever you want....as long as you change it regularly. But I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying that...so I digress. If you are a warranty kind of person, use what the owners manual says and make sure someone legit does it so you have documentation. If you don't care about warranty, then refer to sentence #1. Most of your big name synthetics will work fine........and again, refer to sentence #1.
I agree 100% but will give you a link to the list of GM approved Dexos 1 oils as well.
http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands
Old 08-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
A week does not go by without some asking this questions. Guess people do not know how to use the SEARCH on a forum.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
The Forum search sucks thats why. Google with Camaro5 in the search field is 1000x better.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A week does not go by without some asking this questions. Guess people do not know how to use the SEARCH on a forum.
Or how to use their Owner's Manual.

I use a 5w-30 Synthetic Blend, as recommended in the manual. My brand of choice is Pennzoil - has been for decades.

"Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is recommended."
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i use Mobile 1 or Amsoil
Old 08-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_fit03 View Post
What is the best type of oil to use on my 2012 SS? A friend of mine told me about Rotella T6 and to do research on it to see if I could use it in my car. He said on his car it took it well and better response. Of course he has a Subie. But what about on a Camaro?

Nothing wrong with T6. Have at it.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
ytown87

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 M6
THINK WITH YOUR DIP STICK JIMMY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Old 08-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
ytown87

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3 M6
ha
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #13
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Driven LS30

Designed for high performance LS series engines, LS30 reduces oil consumption by limiting oil vaporization and foaming. It utilizes advanced mPAO synthetic base oils to reduce valve train noise and to provide high temperature and high shear protection for GM LS based engines with and without variable valve timing. LS30 delivers industry leading shear stability and HTHS bearing oil film thickness. Ideal for LS-based crate engines and supercharged LS performance engines as well as any performance engine that calls for a 5W-30 viscosity. Viscosity typical of 5W-30.
Product Features:

• High Temp High Shear Protection
  • Friction Reducing Additives
  • Meets Demands Of VVT System
  • Reduced Consumption Via PCV
Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I run driven and its the only oil I will trust after reading about so many what are supposed to be great oils......... BTW oil standards are changing in 2017 along with CAFE standards going up0 so they will be making two main formulations, one real thin for turbos and small engine cars that you do not want to use.......... like 0w15 etc

here is a good article by a study done for amsoil: driven is not on the list as it is specialty oil made for racers and such and far exceeds all the dexos standards, and I used br30 to break in my cam... which is most likely the most radical of ls3 cams I have read installed on here, and I compared specs and have thousands of great motoring miles now.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

For over the counter stuff I would have most likely gone with a penzoil platinum thanks to this article or the amsoil...but changed it more regularly than they recommend. The ls30 oil is the best I found from research, and the driven website is great for tech articles and testimonials. Many on here have trashed me because I drive with driven... oh well so does nascar, major shows on t.v. breaking in cams, many varied professional racing teams winning more major championships than any other......... Good luck, and happy motoring.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, 500rwhp 460 torque mustang dyno,dual mode ,sunroof ,heritage grill clear bra, TSP cam, Stainless power headers HFC, CAI induction, Vmax PTD,Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, catch can, separate clutch reservoir, under dash/body lights/scanner LED, DRL lights/halos rewire, Dash kit, Custom striping and Sparks badges and Engine badge, Corvette Stainless engine cover, mild to wild, coming soon Eaton true trac and 3.91's
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Amsoil
Same here.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #16
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
The Forum search sucks thats why. Google with Camaro5 in the search field is 1000x better.
Does anyone else have the issue searching while using their smart phone,,, my Samsung Note 3 super duper phone will let me search,, no issues while using my laptop though
http://www.youtube.com/user/AMSOILinc?ob=0
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #17
Andy-AMSOIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
I run driven and its the only oil I will trust after reading about so many what are supposed to be great oils......... BTW oil standards are changing in 2017 along with CAFE standards going up0 so they will be making two main formulations, one real thin for turbos and small engine cars that you do not want to use.......... like 0w15 etc

here is a good article by a study done for amsoil: driven is not on the list as it is specialty oil made for racers and such and far exceeds all the dexos standards, and I used br30 to break in my cam... which is most likely the most radical of ls3 cams I have read installed on here, and I compared specs and have thousands of great motoring miles now.

For over the counter stuff I would have most likely gone with a penzoil platinum thanks to this article or the amsoil...but changed it more regularly than they recommend. The ls30 oil is the best I found from research, and the driven website is great for tech articles and testimonials. Many on here have trashed me because I drive with driven... oh well so does nascar, major shows on t.v. breaking in cams, many varied professional racing teams winning more major championships than any other......... Good luck, and happy motoring.
Right oil requirements are getting tighter and tighter, 0W16 will be coming out not sure about the 0W15 though,, as oils get thinner the demand for better and better base stocks increase, and not all oil manufacturers design their formulations with performance in mind only a selected few will. Which is why ASMOIL selects carefully their base stock and additives.

One thing I like what I am seeing at AMSOIL is the fact that they are designing oils to serve the performance cars, in fact Camaros are a focal point and a targeted market to design oils, for example we may not pay much attention to mustangs, Toyotas ect... but Camaros since there is such a high number of users in this community.
Also the fact that AMSOIL makes sure they do not compromise high quality oil performance additives. example is the ZDDP additive which is well known to give the best anti wear properties, while companies like MOBIL and others jumped to the EPA regulations to lower the content in ZDDP we ASMOIL decided to keep oil performance oils with the adequate additives... this keeps customer happy and their engines well protected
Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2010 Silverado CC
Same with my note 3. The search window pops up but when I go to click on it to type, the window disappears. It'll work if I use the advance search though.
760bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

I'll go see Lake tomorrow and see what he has to say about the changes coming for 2017.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
My galaxy 4 does the same when trying to click on the search button.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #21
Andy-AMSOIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760bowtie View Post
Same with my note 3. The search window pops up but when I go to click on it to type, the window disappears. It'll work if I use the advance search though.
Thanks. Weird that the admins here could not tell me what the issue is nor what the fix is, maybe this was new to them which would be odd to me
Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #22
klaatu barada nikto

Drives: 2009 Corvette
Mobil 1 only for me.
klaatu barada nikto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
I've used Mobil 1 for years in all my cars but bought a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum because of the Shell gas fuel rewards so been using that in the new Camaro. Both are excellent oils IMO.
Window Tint
SS Fender Emblems
Doug Thorley Muffler Delete
Blue Footwell, Glovebox, Center Console Led Lights
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #24
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Amsoil

Signature series 5w30
Vengeance stage I cam (442rwhp/412rwtq) / CAI intake w/ADM race scoop / Dynatech LT's / ATI udp / JRE tuned / Eaton Posi LPE-JRE 3.91's / L99 Corsa / Whiteline Sways & Bushings / UMI Trailing Arms & Toe Rods / ZL1 wheels / NT05 275/315
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #25
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2014 BRM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_fit03 View Post

I only use Mobil 1 but ive also read great reviews about that Joe Gibbs (Driven Oil) and if I wasnt hooked on Mobil 1 I would go with Driven as well.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote