Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
acammer
Back in the game

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Shimming a Thermostat

Hey guys - anybody here ever shim a thermostat in a 5th gen? If you search around LS1tech you can find some threads about shimming thermostats - guys would add a shim in between the thermostat housing and the pin that pushes the stat open to get them to open a little sooner. Alternatively, some guys were cutting a few coils off the bottom of the spring to reduce the opening pressure, again, getting them to run a few degrees cooler. Interested to hear if anybody has tried something like that with a 5th gen, and their results.

Since I swapped to 4.10s my 75mph cruising temps have dropped from 175*F to 171*F. 175*F was at the very bottom of the envelop for what I considered acceptable for coolant temp, 171*F seems a bit too cool for me. I'm thinking about trying to mod a stock thermostat. Or, I may even attempt to modify my 160*F stat to have a little more spring pressure. Ideally, I'd like my cruising coolant temp to sit right at 180*F. A Lingenfelter 174*F stat would probably get me close, and run 185-190. If nothing else, I may have to settle for that.
2011 Camaro 2SS SGM - American Racing Headers/X-pipe and cats, cutouts behind the axle, Cold Air Inductions CAI, New Era Ported TB, 169* T-stat, Ideal Garage clutch master cylinder and remote reservoir, 4.10 gears. 412rwhp. 12.74@113mph.
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote