Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Snitzy

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS Coupe
CAI cold air intake / Loudmouth exhaust question.

I just spoke to my dealership and they said they have no problem with me adding anything to my car as long as I don't mess with the tuner. I called them just to verify what I could do to my car without voiding my warranty. Now, that I got my answer. I wanted to know if I would get any benefit from a CAI cold air intake and SLP Performance loud mouth axel back exhaust kit with out a tune.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Air-Induc...+intake+camaro

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SGHLTU/...b7a641759e9d_S

Thanks new member.
Snitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Noomo

Drives: 2014 camaro ls/2
I have 2LS and installed cai intake and mrt v2 axleback. Improve the sound, but for performance its the same or slightly reduced after install. Now thats my perception and I do not have before and after dynos to back that up. I asked before and was told a tune would fix that up.

CAI Intake, MRT V2 exhaust, SE Hot Wheels style wheels.
Noomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Those 2 items will not affect your warranty. A tune will though.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Snitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noomo View Post
I have 2LS and installed cai intake and mrt v2 axleback. Improve the sound, but for performance its the same or slightly reduced after install. Now thats my perception and I do not have before and after dynos to back that up. I asked before and was told a tune would fix that up.
WOW, so nothing without a tune. Not even worth it. I might just get the exhaust kit for the sound but that is quite depressing.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
I had an ingen intake and mr2 exhaust on my old 2010 v6. An exhaust may add 2 hp and is for sound, the intake I noticed low end response and was good for maybe 8 hp, though that lttle amount is hard to feel at higher rpm. On the LLT motor the tunning was hard to mess with and was good from the factory, but limits what hp mods can do, not sure about your new type motor though.
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/TSW Bathurst wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 Coupe
Installed K&N CAI and Flowmaster Force II axel back exhaust. No tune for the same reason, still under warranty & dealer told me the same thing. In addition to the better sound, I have noticed improvements in response and performance.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Eldnearb
Chevy for life...

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Black
Send a message via MSN to Eldnearb Send a message via Yahoo to Eldnearb
I think you got the answer (maybe not what you wanted to hear). I did a cat back Borla ATAK exhaust about the first week I owned the car (2011 LS3). The sound is amazing and I am satisfied with that. planning on a new Air intake and then just the waiting game for the tune but hey the car is crazy fast already so it isn't that bad of a trade off.
Eldnearb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
Eldnearb
Chevy for life...

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Black
Send a message via MSN to Eldnearb Send a message via Yahoo to Eldnearb
one other thing....that air intake you linked to is a bit of a pain in the ass. The washer fluid fill tube ends up inside that box. Just my two cents.
Eldnearb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
Snitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldnearb View Post
one other thing....that air intake you linked to is a bit of a pain in the ass. The washer fluid fill tube ends up inside that box. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the reply. Probably going to k&n if I do the CAI. Anybody have any good things to say about that loudmouth exhaust kit?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Snitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Installed K&N CAI and Flowmaster Force II axel back exhaust. No tune for the same reason, still under warranty & dealer told me the same thing. In addition to the better sound, I have noticed improvements in response and performance.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
Noomo

Drives: 2014 camaro ls/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snitzy View Post
Thanks for the reply. Probably going to k&n if I do the CAI. Anybody have any good things to say about that loudmouth exhaust kit?
A friend just installed loudmouth 3 on his SS. Sounds great. I always recommend listening to as many different ones as you can in person and on youtube before you buy. It really is a personal preference, so find the one that sounds great to you. J pipes and resonator changes also produce some nice effects to some.

CAI Intake, MRT V2 exhaust, SE Hot Wheels style wheels.
Noomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
jdrop01

Drives: 15 1SS SIM
I would go with the CAI and scoop. Proven results all over this board with that combo.
jdrop01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The CAI, especially mixed with the scoop, will give some good results without voiding your warranty. I suggest the Cold Air Inductions model paired with the ADM race scoop. It has been tried, tested and proven to produce great results.

The Axleback on the other hand won't do anything except make it louder. If you want any kind of performance gain from exhaust without voiding the warranty, you'll want to get a full 3" catback, and even that doesn't really do much. The only way you can get good noticeable gains from exhaust modification is with longtubes (you would need a tune to get the most gains, as well as get rid of the CEL) but this would void your warranty if you took it to an asshole dealer.

Your best bet is to find every local dealer in your area and ask them if they are modification friendly. Some care, some don't.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
Scott_G
AllMotor5thGen

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Heads/Cam/Intake M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snitzy View Post
I have the SLP loudmouth on my 2010. I went with just the loudmouth. It is the most aggressive SLP makes for the camaro. Idk how just the axle back sounds. I went with the full exhaust headers/x-pipe. Turned heads everywhere I went. Just depends on how loud you want it. After heads/cam/intake its ridiculously loud.
Scott_G is offline   Reply With Quote