Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Sprankster

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
BBK Throttle Body issues

I bought the 95mm version about a year ago and installed it. After I installed it I took it for a test drive and my CEL came on and I got reduced engine power. Had about zero acceleration and the car was shaking alot. Put the stock one back on which stopped the shaking and with about 20 miles of driving the CEL turned off. Then I had to leave the country for a year and forgot about it.

Got back and figured I would give it another go. Same exact thing happened. Does anyone have any idea what is happening or did I get a bad throttle body and am screwed since I bought it over a year ago.

Edit: This is the same issue mine has. If I had to do it again I would just do a VMAX ported one instead of BBK.

Last edited by Sprankster; 08-01-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Adding video
Sprankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you've got the BBK curse : requires replacing the offending part with one that is not a PITA. GEE I never heard yet of anyone liking it when they got a BBK..... only troubles...do a search with BBK in it... good luck it seems they almost always have calibration issues and some tried addressing it in tunes and some just gave up even after doing everything they could.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body/scanner LED, DRL rewire, Custom badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 .
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
you've got the BBK curse : requires replacing the offending part with one that is not a PITA. GEE I never heard yet of anyone liking it when they got a BBK..... only troubles...do a search with BBK in it... good luck it seems they almost always have calibration issues and some tried addressing it in tunes and some just gave up even after doing everything they could.
Unfortunately, this is correct. We had one of our local guys go thru this saga even after we told him he did not want a BBK throttle body. After months of headaches he ended up putting a VMAX ported throttle body on like we recommended from the get go.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Sprankster

Figured out that the issue is that the blade scrapes really hard against the bottom causing it to stick. Now I get to hear them say there is nothing I can do because I was deployed for a year.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Bo White

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
You didnt check it before you put it on?
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Sprankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
You didnt check it before you put it on?
Didn't know that this was a know issue or that BBK had bad quality control. I guess I shouldn't put my faith in companies to send me working parts out of the box. But thanks for the comment.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Common. Have never had luck with any BBK TB's on any applications.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
Sprankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITI View Post
Common. Have never had luck with any BBK TB's on any applications.
Thank you. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
Cannot the blade be adjusted by loosening the screws so that it does not bind or rub. I have seen where people have done this to get the TB to work correctly. It would be worth a shot.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Sprankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
Cannot the blade be adjusted by loosening the screws so that it does not bind or rub. I have seen where people have done this to get the TB to work correctly. It would be worth a shot.
All the screws do for me is strip and not the fun kind.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Bo White

Once you swap parts over from one TB to another I would think people would cycle the blade by hand to make sure everything was good.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #12
Sprankster

Quote:
Once you swap parts over from one TB to another I would think people would cycle the blade by hand to make sure everything was good.
Thank you for the same comment.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It's an expensive paper weight.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, Dyno Tuned, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% under drive pulley, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Transmission cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Intake with race scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD custom auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane suspension bushings, ZL1 wheels, ZL1 spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can,
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
Sprankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
It's an expensive paper weight.
Might be able to get a couple of bucks for it at a scrap yard.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
Bo White

Its fixable by what Ive seen. Loosen the screws and center the blade then retighten. If you want you can send it to me and I can do it. Sometimes those screws can be aggrevating.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #16
Sprankster

Quote:
Its fixable by what Ive seen. Loosen the screws and center the blade then retighten. If you want you can send it to me and I can do it. Sometimes those screws can be aggrevating.
Seems like they use loctite or something similar or I'm not using enough muscle.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #17
Bo White

The stock TB is thread locked too.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Bo can fix it. He fixed my tb too. I damn near stripped the heads off the screws before giving up. Bo had no problems taken care of it.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, RX CC, GFX, Subs, Tuned by Rhino79 at GPI.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #19
Sprankster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Bo can fix it. He fixed my tb too. I damn near stripped the heads off the screws before giving up. Bo had no problems taken care of it.
How much does that usually run?