Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
BigDame1
 
BigDame1's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chackbay, La
Posts: 104
All 8 cylinders?

Any way to use all 8 cylinders all the time? Instead of having only shitty 4 of them randomly like my car does.
BigDame1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE
 
CHMSC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 12,609
You can get a tune and it will be gone or there is something you can plug in and it gets rid of it and supposedly does not void the warranty. Don't recall the name of it though.
__________________
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
Bsanf21
New to camaros
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pooler, GA
Posts: 205
Jannety racing tune can tune it out. I believe only way is tuning it out.
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Bsanf21
New to camaros
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pooler, GA
Posts: 205
Sct tuner
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
MMC

 
MMC's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 873
Here you go http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283175
__________________
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,090
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Range to not void the warranty or Jannetty Racing tune that fixes AFM, lowers some TRQ Management and makes them shift like a beast your choice. I loved the Jannetty tune I had on my 2010 L99.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
SS PANTHER

 
SS PANTHER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS Convertible Triple Black
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,173
Get a Range AFM delete unit. $184, 5 second installation, and will not void your warranty.
If you don't care about the warranty, go for a tune like everyone else has stated.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
i2disturbedSS

 
i2disturbedSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Great Falls MT
Posts: 772
Missed the mark on that ... 6th gen

go with the tune you will be happier.
__________________
369rwhp/392rwtq
i2disturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,236
Why would you pay to make your car less efficient for absolutely no gain in performance?
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
JRT
 
JRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 397
Why is this in the 6th Gen section? Did you tear a hole in the space-time-continuum and get your hands a 6th Gen already?
Ya Jannetty tune is the way to go. I have it with high flow cats an cat-back, pretty beastly compared to stock and no stupid AFM!
__________________
2011 IOM SS/RS L99
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14
JRT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,139
I doubt the 6th Gen will be any different than the 5th Gen when it comes to AFM. I know what you mean. It really sucks paying for the V8 when most of the time, the damn thing is chugging along in 4-cylinder mode. Lame. Unfortunately, even the new Corvette Stingray will have AFM. Here's the real kicker. I read it won't be on the new Chevy SS. The SS is more of a 4-door family car. A perfect candidate for AFM. Some bonehead at GM decides not to put it on there, but instead, let's put it on a high-performance car.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of AFM.
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,097
Tune and Ranger both technically void your warranty. Anything that interferes with the cars calibration would be deemed to void the warranty. We know GM can detect a recalibration. We don't know if they can detect the use of device plugged into the OBDII port that alters the programming.

As for why the Camaro SS has cylinder deactivation and the SS doesn't is probably more around the expected volumes. The Camaro was deemed to NOT need a GG Tax. That necessitated cylinder deactivation. The SS is lower volume by definition and GM probably accepted it like they did on the GXP. Imagine the threads back 3 years ago if the Camaro had a GG Tax and the Mustang did not.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Tune and Ranger both technically void your warranty. Anything that interferes with the cars calibration would be deemed to void the warranty. We know GM can detect a recalibration. We don't know if they can detect the use of device plugged into the OBDII port that alters the programming.

As for why the Camaro SS has cylinder deactivation and the SS doesn't is probably more around the expected volumes. The Camaro was deemed to NOT need a GG Tax. That necessitated cylinder deactivation. The SS is lower volume by definition and GM probably accepted it like they did on the GXP. Imagine the threads back 3 years ago if the Camaro had a GG Tax and the Mustang did not.
I've ready confirm with my dealer the range is not detectable. Warranty will not be affected with the range device.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
i2disturbedSS

 
i2disturbedSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Great Falls MT
Posts: 772
Yeah that is pretty dumb E.T.
__________________
369rwhp/392rwtq
i2disturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,740
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I doubt the 6th Gen will be any different than the 5th Gen when it comes to AFM. I know what you mean. It really sucks paying for the V8 when most of the time, the damn thing is chugging along in 4-cylinder mode. Lame. Unfortunately, even the new Corvette Stingray will have AFM. Here's the real kicker. I read it won't be on the new Chevy SS. The SS is more of a 4-door family car. A perfect candidate for AFM. Some bonehead at GM decides not to put it on there, but instead, let's put it on a high-performance car.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of AFM.
SS is going to be super low volume. Camaro is not a low volume car. Either accept AFM or pay gas guzzler tax on a vehicle a lot of people already complain about being expensive.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
SS is going to be super low volume. Camaro is not a low volume car. Either accept AFM or pay gas guzzler tax on a vehicle a lot of people already complain about being expensive.
What qualifies a vehicle for a gas guzzler tax? The EPA ratings on my V6 Jeep are actually worse than my V8 Camaro, and there isn't a GG tax on that. I know this all boils down to BS govt. regulations, but man, you'd think they'd find some way around it. There's nothing sadder than putting a big 6L engine in a performance car, and then cutting its nuts off with AFM
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
GroundhogSS
 
GroundhogSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Envoy Denali, '06 G35 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
Posts: 515
If the Gen 6 does get the LT1, like the Stingray, it will have AFM on the manual and the auto. I suspect Range will sell a lot of those modules. I have one on my Envoy 5.3L until I get the Camaro.
__________________
Richard
GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
SIN R G

 
SIN R G's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Randolph, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,094
Put it in sport and drive it in manual mode with the paddle shifters. In manual mode AFM will not kick in.
__________________
2SS L99, CAI, Kooks Stainless 1 7/8 headers, Kooks Catted Oem Connection Pipe, MBRP Exhaust, MSD LS1 Superconductor 8.5 mm Wires. NKG Copper Spark Plug Set, Full Dyno Tune. BMR G8Trailing Arms - Hammertone and BMR Rear Toe Rods, GFX, Devils Tail Side Stripes, Side Vent Stripes, Synergy Green Door Panels and SS Grill & Trunk Badges .
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
bigssc
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 611
range v8, works great and the dealer cant detect it. just dont leave it plugged in when u bring it in for service!! lol
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
What qualifies a vehicle for a gas guzzler tax? The EPA ratings on my V6 Jeep are actually worse than my V8 Camaro, and there isn't a GG tax on that. I know this all boils down to BS govt. regulations, but man, you'd think they'd find some way around it. There's nothing sadder than putting a big 6L engine in a performance car, and then cutting its nuts off with AFM
First, trucks are exempt from the GG Tax and your Jeep is a truck.

Second, the car must have a combined EPA rating of 22.5 MPG to avoid the GG Tax. Less than that and it gets progressively worse. I think as high as $7,700. Either way it starts at over $3,000. For a car that is really low volume and arguably is a very premium sedan Chevy probably said ok. But again, I can read the threads 3 years ago on how Chevy was a big fat fail because an SS cost $3,000 more than a Mustang. It's pretty much that simple. The manual transmission car met the threshold. The automatic, as you would expect, got worse mileage. Hence a special engine, the L99.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
carlos@redline-motorsport

 
Drives: 98 Z28
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL
Posts: 80
If I could get my car/truck to run on 2 cyl and get 50+ mpg, I'd do it. Why do you need 8 cyl at a steady slow cruise?
carlos@redline-motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First, trucks are exempt from the GG Tax and your Jeep is a truck.

Second, the car must have a combined EPA rating of 22.5 MPG to avoid the GG Tax. Less than that and it gets progressively worse. I think as high as $7,700. Either way it starts at over $3,000. For a car that is really low volume and arguably is a very premium sedan Chevy probably said ok. But again, I can read the threads 3 years ago on how Chevy was a big fat fail because an SS cost $3,000 more than a Mustang. It's pretty much that simple. The manual transmission car met the threshold. The automatic, as you would expect, got worse mileage. Hence a special engine, the L99.
Just goes to show how stupid these regulations are. Let's not put a gas guzzler tax on the vehicles that guzzle the most gas e.g. trucks.

Also, the 22.5 number doesn't seem to make sense. According to the stats

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...ro&srchtyp=ymm

The combined MPG for the Camaros looks like this:

V6 - 21
L99 - 14
LS3 - 16

This is interesting....I didn't realize there was such a difference between regular and premium gas. According to the chart, the auto will get 18 combined on regular vs 14 on premium.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument...just saying that you'd think GM could've found another way around this. I don't know, make AFM active only in D and not sport mode, something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos@redline-motorsport View Post
If I could get my car/truck to run on 2 cyl and get 50+ mpg, I'd do it. Why do you need 8 cyl at a steady slow cruise?
What's a joke is, deactivating AFM actually got people better MPGs, so what's the point of it anyway? No one really needs 8 cylinders. My point is, I paid for 8 and I want all 8
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,097
I'd like to see certified test results where someone got better mileage not anecdotal stories.

AFM isn't 5 mpg better its closer to 1 which for EPA is HUGE. So I am skeptical anyone could see this difference without a very repeatable test.

Also combined MPG is based on EPA highway and city combined. So no way an L99 or LS3 is 14 and 16. Those are barely the city numbers.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'd like to see certified test results where someone got better mileage not anecdotal stories.

AFM isn't 5 mpg better its closer to 1 which for EPA is HUGE. So I am skeptical anyone could see this difference without a very repeatable test.

Also combined MPG is based on EPA highway and city combined. So no way an L99 or LS3 is 14 and 16. Those are barely the city numbers.
There is a typo on that site. The 14 and 16 is for the ZL1. Anyway, the real numbers are below. The L99's combined MPG of 19 is a far cry from 22.5, so how is it exempt from GG tax? I'm not searching for the posts, but forum members have done before and after tests and showed that AFM is useless. Oh yeah, except for the crap lifters being known to fail.

Honestly, I don't care what the reasoning is behind it. AFM does not below on a muscle car. End of story.
Attached Images
 
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
bigssc
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 611
the OP's thread has officially been jacked! LOL
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.