Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,462
Valvespring Maintenance

I currently have Lunati dual valve springs installed. I think they are just a rebranded version of the popular Patriot Gold set. They are rated to much more lift than I need (.650").

I have 65,000 miles on my cam and springs... 139,000 miles on my car. Cam specs are in my sig.... the lift is pretty mild, duration not so much.

My questions are ...

1. When is the recommended time to change the springs for a daily driver that is not driven hard?
2. Do you need to change them because they might break after a while due to fatigue?... or because they lose stiffness?
3. Is there anything I can do to increase spring life?... like get a spring that is less stiff.
4. When I do change them, what needs to be changed? retainers, seals, seats... or can I get by with just replacing the springs (much cheaper, and less time involved)?

I do not have the spring load measuring tool, but maybe I should get one.

I found a helpful link... but I was hoping to find out a little more on the subject.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...intenance.html
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
litle88
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,349
I'd pull a few and have them checked out! You do poor maintenance on your Camaro Sir! Lol
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,723
i always have had better luck with the springs i actually used. when i let the car sit is when i have had issues.

check them. but i think people should check everything that moves in their car. its really a diy job to test them. visually and mechanically
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Bo White



 
Bo White's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vance Alabama
Posts: 2,776
Yep. Full a few off and take them over to northport machine shop. They have a rate checker.
__________________
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

 
Avenging Orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clermont, IN
Posts: 1,132
I would say change em. I know technology has improved over the years. Used to be 10-15k on dual springs with larger aggressive cams. But being daily driven, prolly a bit longer. But 65k....that's a lot. Personally, I would say only the springs need replaced.
__________________
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather,Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Haltech CAI , non synthetic fluids, Mike Norris tuned 419/413
Avenging Orange: 36 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
I'd pull a few and have them checked out! You do poor maintenance on your Camaro Sir! Lol
I could always do better. I spend a lot of my weekends and my money doing maintenance. When you put almost 40,000 miles a year on your car... its pretty hard to stay on top.

My miles are all very easy miles at full engine temperature and low rpm. So I can go alot longer than you hotrodders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
i always have had better luck with the springs i actually used. when i let the car sit is when i have had issues.

check them. but i think people should check everything that moves in their car. its really a diy job to test them. visually and mechanically
good point... mine never sits still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Yep. Full a few off and take them over to northport machine shop. They have a rate checker.
I did not even know of their existence. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I would say change em. I know technology has improved over the years. Used to be 10-15k on dual springs with larger aggressive cams. But being daily driven, prolly a bit longer. But 65k....that's a lot. Personally, I would say only the springs need replaced.
65K is about once every year and a half for me. I wonder if 10-15k is due to the springs getting soft.... or are they worried about breakage?
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Bo White



 
Bo White's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vance Alabama
Posts: 2,776
Npm is owned and operated by a guy my age that use to work for NASCAR. They do it all.
__________________
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
I currently have Lunati dual valve springs installed. I think they are just a rebranded version of the popular Patriot Gold set. They are rated to much more lift than I need (.650").

I have 65,000 miles on my cam and springs... 139,000 miles on my car. Cam specs are in my sig.... the lift is pretty mild, duration not so much.

My questions are ...

1. When is the recommended time to change the springs for a daily driver that is not driven hard?
2. Do you need to change them because they might break after a while due to fatigue?... or because they lose stiffness?
3. Is there anything I can do to increase spring life?... like get a spring that is less stiff.
4. When I do change them, what needs to be changed? retainers, seals, seats... or can I get by with just replacing the springs (much cheaper, and less time involved)?

I do not have the spring load measuring tool, but maybe I should get one.

I found a helpful link... but I was hoping to find out a little more on the subject.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...intenance.html

While everyone has good ideas on this, your best suggestion would be from the ones that did the cam. They should know what their cams want to see for spring life and interchange intervals.

Many things can effect spring lift. RPM of the engine, ramp profile of the cam, total lift of the cam, rocker arms, oil temperature, use.....

A race engine, or someone that races the car is going to have to change springs more often than a street car that just loafs around on the highway.

This is something that needs to be changed before they fail. In some cases with a dual spring just the inner or outer will break first and no harm done in most cases than a slight miss....however they break completely, then you run the chance of the valve and piston meeting face to face....bad news bears.

In most cases just the springs have to be replaced. Unless you see signs of marks into the retainers or seats, those should not have to be replaced.

Life on valve springs....again depends on the cam and RPM range. To get longer life, typically a stronger spring would have to be used, but can result in higher oil temps, shorter life for the lifters, shorter life on valve seats....it is a give and take kind of thing.
__________________
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,462
so... does the inner spring actually do anything? They are shorter than the outer spring and do not contact the retainer. i.e. if the outer one breaks... does the inner one really pick up the slack?

__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
litle88
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,349
It helps in the stability of the spring and serves as a safeguard when the outter ones break lol
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
It helps in the stability of the spring and serves as a safeguard when the outter ones break lol
Yep. If you look up spring harmonics you'll see. Think of them as a damper for your springs. They keep your valvetrain from going resonant and hurting itself.
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Bo White



 
Bo White's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vance Alabama
Posts: 2,776
The inner spring also adds pressure too. It is shorter because it's not as strong of a spring as the outer.
__________________
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,357
And the inner spring contacts at installed height.
__________________

Specializing in LS performance and calibrations.
Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Ryan@gogwatney.com Aaron@gogwatney.com www.Gwatneyperformance.com
Home of THE Fastest Stock Displacement Naturally Aspirated GEN 5! 10.45@133.55
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
And the inner spring contacts at installed height.
That's the answer I was looking for... I couldn't tell if it contacted when I installed them.
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.