Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
BlakeH827
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 74
Porting L92 heads a good idea?

I'm in the middle of getting everything together for my cam swap. My tuner wants me to spray the car with a 150 shot and that's great but I honestly don't trust the tranny enough for that just yet. I'm trying to get every last hp out of my motor before I spray. So far I'm planning on
D.O.D delete
Mast SS VVT cam
Vmax ported manifold and throttle body
And I want to do a little head work, I know our stock heads are good but can they be better? I don't think I want to mill because I might be pushing the PTV clearance. I've read that I really won't get much from porting them due to the fact that the intake is already really big. Can someone guide me in the right direction as far as what I should do with my heads

Car will also have a stall 3600 more than likely with 3.91 gears
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,352
Whoever said you won't gain a thing from porting these heads you need to stop listening to them and run away. L99's have a stainless steel intake valve that can be upgraded to an Ls3 hollow intake valve to begin with. I'm not sure of your budget but if your getting the heads off and want to get them worked on then there are places like WCCH, AI, Flowtech, LPE, TEA that can hook you right up. As far as milling is concerned I'd be triple sure you mill it right to bump compression a bit because the MAST SS cam is not little and you need to make sure your PTV clearance will be all good. What lifters and springs are you going to use?

If your VVT you better have a good tuner! RHINO79 mastered that cam for a fact!
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/

Last edited by litle88; 06-28-2013 at 07:40 AM.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,268
Your Transmission can handle that easy I pushed mine up to 800rwhp in a truck for a soild 2yrs so no worries
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
11.26 @ 124.11 mph in the 1/4
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.
 
LSX Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca.
Posts: 445
I sent my heads to Richard at WCCH. They came back beautiful!





LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
BlakeH827
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 74
Those heads look nice! How much did that run you if you don't mind. Also what do you think about milling? I feel like I should just have the heads ported and polished maybe put some hollow valves in as well.
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,352
Milling is good, it will bump up compression but like I said before gotta triple check PTV.
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
BlakeH827
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Whoever said you won't gain a thing from porting these heads you need to stop listening to them and run away. L99's have a stainless steel intake valve that can be upgraded to an Ls3 hollow intake valve to begin with. I'm not sure of your budget but if your getting the heads off and want to get them worked on then there are places like WCCH, AI, Flowtech, LPE, TEA that can hook you right up. As far as milling is concerned I'd be triple sure you mill it right to bump compression a bit because the MAST SS cam is not little and you need to make sure your PTV clearance will be all good. What lifters and springs are you going to use?

If your VVT you better have a good tuner! RHINO79 mastered that cam for a fact!
I was reading that on some corvette forum and they were saying if you port them you will loose tq and gaing like 6 rwhp or something like that. I'm using stock ls3 lifters and BTR springs.
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
BlakeH827
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Milling is good, it will bump up compression but like I said before gotta triple check PTV.
The only thing is that once I tear into this think it has to be done in a day or two. So say I have them milled and they don't fit then I'm screwed.
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,352
A rush job then don't mill!

You will not loose anything low, you will just gain. As long as its a reputable head shop like I've mentioned. They will not have those heads in a few days though. Better get on the ball lol.
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
BlakeH827
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: OKC
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
A rush job then don't mill!

You will not loose anything low, you will just gain. As long as its a reputable head shop like I've mentioned. They will not have those heads in a few days though. Better get on the ball lol.
I'm going to stock pile parts until they are all here. I have time to get heads and stuff but once install day is here I can't really have something like that go wrong. So at least this go around milling might not be the best idea
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Camper
Banned
 
Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH827 View Post
I was reading that on some corvette forum and they were saying if you port them you will loose tq and gaing like 6 rwhp or something like that. I'm using stock ls3 lifters and BTR springs.

myth
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.
 
LSX Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca.
Posts: 445
Cost depends on what stage and what parts are used. I milled .007, that was the max to keep the P to V in spec.
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
SPCBA
Blake
 
SPCBA's Avatar
 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a VA line somwhere
Posts: 3,707
wcch and dont look back!
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Kelly@PCMofNC

 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
wcch and dont look back!
Richard does good stuff fo' sho.
__________________

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.