Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
Question regarding tune

Hi all, I just bought a set of S type cat back exhausts from someone on this forum. Looking to tune out the AFM on my car after installing the exhausts. My goal is to make the sound a bit lower/better than stock while making keeping the ride decent for DD.

Here are my questions:
Should I also get an aftermarket CAI since I'm getting a tune anyway?
Should I worry about changing the stock CAT also? Tho I don't want gas smell/ too loud since this is my DD
Any place I can get everything done near south NJ/ philly area?

Thanks a lot, suggestions r welcome
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
Hi all, I just bought a set of S type cat back exhausts from someone on this forum. Looking to tune out the AFM on my car after installing the exhausts. My goal is to make the sound a bit lower/better than stock while making keeping the ride decent for DD.

Here are my questions:
Should I also get an aftermarket CAI since I'm getting a tune anyway?
Should I worry about changing the stock CAT also? Tho I don't want gas smell/ too loud since this is my DD
Any place I can get everything done near south NJ/ philly area?

Thanks a lot, suggestions r welcome
You know you don't need to tune to get rid of AFM anymore, take a look at the Range device. For what you are getting I would NOT tune and lose my warranty. IMO you should only tune if you are getting a mod that requires a tune. Now if you could care less about your warranty, tune away.

To your other questions:
1- A CAI does not require a tune, so it's up to you. But a CAI is a great addition.
2- If you get a set of solo HF cats, you'll add some nice power and sound and still won't need a tune and there really won't be much difference in smell. Loudness is really a matter of opinion but it will get louder.
3- No idea

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-28-2013 at 01:59 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Yes might as well get the tune with a CAI, if you think it's too loud which they shouldn't then make sure the shop keeps it intact and they don't cut it up.
Go with a Vararam, CAI, Rotofab, haltech or ADM.
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Removing the cats will make it louder even if you put on HFC's, so I would leave them. Add the CAI and get a GOOD tune...*cough FSP cough*

Florida Speed & Power (941) 756 - RACE
http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/

Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
ps2ren

I see, well my car is early model 2010, the warranty will end within a year.
But then again going CAI, hi flow cats and a tune will cost between 500 to 1000 more

>__< tough decision
Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
But then again going CAI, hi flow cats and a tune will cost between 500 to 1000 more

>__< tough decision
Don't forget your PT warranty is 5/100 miles.

As for CAI, HF Cats and a tune. That will be closer to the $1200-1500 Range.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Don't forget your PT warranty is 5/100 miles.

As for CAI, HF Cats and a tune. That will be closer to the $1200-1500 Range.
I see, well guess I will just go with a simple plug-in and exhaust install then
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Me personally I would not plug in anything to "trick" my PCM. Do it right and get a simple tune from like FSP and their diablo handheld to disable AFM. Plus if you add other boltons they can hook you up then too! With a tune alone you'll like the new peramiters!
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Pro Stock John
Shizzler

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Is the car auto?

Do you want it to just sound a little tougher or do you want it to be noticeably faster?
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo White PTP | Kooks Headers | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR Ported Intake | 305/45R18 NT05R | Powerbond UDP

LSX Record List: http://motorhed.com/xf/threads/lsx-r...the-list.6022/
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Is the car auto?

Do you want it to just sound a little tougher or do you want it to be noticeably faster?
They mention AFM, so yes.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:

>__< tough decision
Like I said. I would not do the HFC, if you dislike AFM do the CAI/Catback Exhaust and a handheld tuner that offers you to get custom tunes (DiabloIntune) and allows you tune out afm and get more out of your CAI in the process.

And you would not exceed 1k for the CAI/Tuner I garuntee that.

Florida Speed & Power (941) 756 - RACE
http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/

Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
ps2ren

Oh that sounds like a good middle ground then.
guess i will wait for the pipes to arrive, order a tuner and cai

whats a good cai to go with borla?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Pro Stock John
Shizzler

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Doh did read that and promptly forgot it...

Fran is in DE, maybe not too far and having a dyno day special tomorrow:
http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/

I would do the exhaust, and the cold air, and then have it tuned. I would do hi flow cats or long tubes + cats.

I personally went from 315rwhp / 13.15@106 to 368rwhp / 12.7 on stock tires and 12.3 on drag radials with cold air, underdrive pulley, long tubes, cats and stock exhaust.

I have Cold Air Inductions, it's a very nice product.
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo White PTP | Kooks Headers | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR Ported Intake | 305/45R18 NT05R | Powerbond UDP

LSX Record List: http://motorhed.com/xf/threads/lsx-r...the-list.6022/
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Oh that sounds like a good middle ground then.
guess i will wait for the pipes to arrive, order a tuner and cai

whats a good cai to go with borla?
CAI!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
ps2ren

Also how does the handheld tuner work? I will look into it but do I need to do anything with the maker online? Or do I just plus in maybe the OBD port and dial in whatever options I want?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Doh did read that and promptly forgot it...

Fran is in DE, maybe not too far and having a dyno day special tomorrow:
http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/

I would do the exhaust, and the cold air, and then have it tuned. I would do hi flow cats or long tubes + cats.

I personally went from 315rwhp / 13.15@106 to 368rwhp / 12.7 on stock tires and 12.3 on drag radials with cold air, underdrive pulley, long tubes, cats and stock exhaust.

I have Cold Air Inductions, it's a very nice product.
They are rather close 0.o
are dyno tunes better than handheld or no difference?
I'm thinking I might go there to do everything all together
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
They are rather close 0.o
are dyno tunes better than handheld or no difference?
I'm thinking I might go there to do everything all together
Dyno is better.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
This is the basics on how to do a mail order tune.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136605

Technically a dyno to would be better but for some very simple bolt-ons a mail order will work just fine. You can get it fine tuned by data logging and sending the info back to the tuner.

One pro to have a mail order tune is that you'll then own a handheld scanner. That will allow you read and clear codes as well as do data logging if you ever felt like it was not running good. So, on the flip side, this the con to having a dyno tune.

There has been times when I definitely wished I had a handheld to look at and clear codes.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
caverman

I'm definitely an advocate for a tune but do realize that if you tune you will lose the rest of your 5yr/100k GM drivetrain warranty.

For that reason you should make sure you only get your car tuned by a reputable tuner. There is quite a bit of torque management stuff that gets removed from your Auto transmission. Do your research on the tuner you choose.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'm definitely an advocate for a tune but do realize that if you tune you will lose the rest of your 5yr/100k GM drivetrain warranty.

For that reason you should make sure you only get your car tuned by a reputable tuner. There is quite a bit of torque management stuff that gets removed from your Auto transmission. Do your research on the tuner you choose.
I see, I have heard both jannetty and diablo hand held tuners, which one would be better for what I need? I have read thru the guidelines, seems reasonable

Just found some videos

seems very nifty, but do these tuners have to be lock into a single car? Or can I use it for say, a future camaro6?
Now that I think about it, a tune is def due... my tire size changes need to be dialed in to un-wack the speedo, going 93 oct since stations near me only carry 87 89 and 93 so I pay for 93 anyway, then disable AFM and CAI/ cat back

Last edited by ps2ren; 06-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
They lock to your car but if you return your car to stock then you can use the tuner on another vehicle.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
caverman

Diablo is a brand of tuner. Think of it as hardware. They have some pre-made (usually called canned) tunes to do basics but if you don't buy the Diablo from someone who does custom tuning then you probably won't be able to get any kind of custom settings or tweaks just from Diablo.

Now, Jannetty Racing on the other hand is a tuner. I think he usually likes to use SCT brand of hardware but can also sell you a Diablo. Buying through him costs a little more but he will custom tune your car. He has a set tune he will start off with and then he will have you do some data logging and email it back. He makes some tweaks and sends you a new tune.

Jannetty has done hundreds of 5th Gens and he is one of the few I would trust personally. You can probably buy your intake from him as well. If you have questions about it you should give them a call. http://jannettyracing.com/
Build Journal
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Diablo is a brand of tuner. Think of it as hardware. They have some pre-made (usually called canned) tunes to do basics but if you don't buy the Diablo from someone who does custom tuning then you probably won't be able to get any kind of custom settings or tweaks just from Diablo.

Now, Jannetty Racing on the other hand is a tuner. I think he usually likes to use SCT brand of hardware but can also sell you a Diablo. Buying through him costs a little more but he will custom tune your car. He has a set tune he will start off with and then he will have you do some data logging and email it back. He makes some tweaks and sends you a new tune.

Jannetty has done hundreds of 5th Gens and he is one of the few I would trust personally. You can probably buy your intake from him as well. If you have questions about it you should give them a call. http://jannettyracing.com/
I see, so pre-loaded tune vs custom tune. But is data logging/ custom tune necessary for only exhaust, 93 oct, AFM disable and tire diameter change? How much does the remote custom tune cost? I saw $50 or $200
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I see, so pre-loaded tune vs custom tune. But is data logging/ custom tune necessary for only exhaust, 93 oct, AFM disable and tire diameter change? How much does the remote custom tune cost? I saw $50 or $200
Data logging is not necessary for any mods unless directed by your tuner. A tune is not "necessary" for those items. A remote custom tune varies depending on whether you buy the handheld device from the tuner. For example, I did not buy my SCT from Jannetty so my tune, for my mods, was $380. If I would have bought the tuner from Jannetty; it would have been less. The cost of a remote tune depends somewhat on your installed mods.

Back to your OP, I would get a CAI, leave your stock cats alone, and just enjoy the mods without a tune because you won't get much bang for your buck. If you really want your AFM gone, I agree with litle88 and just get the tune. The more performance mods you make, the more value you get out of a tune. So, you might want to think about your longer term goals and then decide.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
caverman

Quote:
If you buy the $400 SCT tuner from Jannetty that will include the basic tune plus I think a custom tune to fine tune everything. Although you probably won't need much of that with what you're looking to do. Just buying the SCT tuner is like $370, so for $30 more you get custom tuning if needed.

I don't have an Auto but from everything if seen even a basic tune will really wake up the A6. Mostly because of the transmission/torque management changes.
Build Journal