Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
ps2ren
 
ps2ren's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 219
Also how does the handheld tuner work? I will look into it but do I need to do anything with the maker online? Or do I just plus in maybe the OBD port and dial in whatever options I want?
__________________
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
ps2ren
 
ps2ren's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Doh did read that and promptly forgot it...

Fran is in DE, maybe not too far and having a dyno day special tomorrow:
http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/

I would do the exhaust, and the cold air, and then have it tuned. I would do hi flow cats or long tubes + cats.

I personally went from 315rwhp / 13.15@106 to 368rwhp / 12.7 on stock tires and 12.3 on drag radials with cold air, underdrive pulley, long tubes, cats and stock exhaust.

I have Cold Air Inductions, it's a very nice product.
They are rather close 0.o
are dyno tunes better than handheld or no difference?
I'm thinking I might go there to do everything all together
__________________
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
They are rather close 0.o
are dyno tunes better than handheld or no difference?
I'm thinking I might go there to do everything all together
Dyno is better.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
This is the basics on how to do a mail order tune.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136605

Technically a dyno to would be better but for some very simple bolt-ons a mail order will work just fine. You can get it fine tuned by data logging and sending the info back to the tuner.

One pro to have a mail order tune is that you'll then own a handheld scanner. That will allow you read and clear codes as well as do data logging if you ever felt like it was not running good. So, on the flip side, this the con to having a dyno tune.

There has been times when I definitely wished I had a handheld to look at and clear codes.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
I'm definitely an advocate for a tune but do realize that if you tune you will lose the rest of your 5yr/100k GM drivetrain warranty.

For that reason you should make sure you only get your car tuned by a reputable tuner. There is quite a bit of torque management stuff that gets removed from your Auto transmission. Do your research on the tuner you choose.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
ps2ren
 
ps2ren's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'm definitely an advocate for a tune but do realize that if you tune you will lose the rest of your 5yr/100k GM drivetrain warranty.

For that reason you should make sure you only get your car tuned by a reputable tuner. There is quite a bit of torque management stuff that gets removed from your Auto transmission. Do your research on the tuner you choose.
I see, I have heard both jannetty and diablo hand held tuners, which one would be better for what I need? I have read thru the guidelines, seems reasonable

Just found some videos


seems very nifty, but do these tuners have to be lock into a single car? Or can I use it for say, a future camaro6?
Now that I think about it, a tune is def due... my tire size changes need to be dialed in to un-wack the speedo, going 93 oct since stations near me only carry 87 89 and 93 so I pay for 93 anyway, then disable AFM and CAI/ cat back
__________________

Last edited by ps2ren; 06-28-2013 at 05:41 PM.
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Iam Broke
PHAT B33
 
Iam Broke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dark of the Moon
Posts: 1,441
They lock to your car but if you return your car to stock then you can use the tuner on another vehicle.
__________________
Another 1 of 371 '12 T3 LS3 M6's built.
Iam Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Diablo is a brand of tuner. Think of it as hardware. They have some pre-made (usually called canned) tunes to do basics but if you don't buy the Diablo from someone who does custom tuning then you probably won't be able to get any kind of custom settings or tweaks just from Diablo.

Now, Jannetty Racing on the other hand is a tuner. I think he usually likes to use SCT brand of hardware but can also sell you a Diablo. Buying through him costs a little more but he will custom tune your car. He has a set tune he will start off with and then he will have you do some data logging and email it back. He makes some tweaks and sends you a new tune.

Jannetty has done hundreds of 5th Gens and he is one of the few I would trust personally. You can probably buy your intake from him as well. If you have questions about it you should give them a call. http://jannettyracing.com/
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
ps2ren
 
ps2ren's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Diablo is a brand of tuner. Think of it as hardware. They have some pre-made (usually called canned) tunes to do basics but if you don't buy the Diablo from someone who does custom tuning then you probably won't be able to get any kind of custom settings or tweaks just from Diablo.

Now, Jannetty Racing on the other hand is a tuner. I think he usually likes to use SCT brand of hardware but can also sell you a Diablo. Buying through him costs a little more but he will custom tune your car. He has a set tune he will start off with and then he will have you do some data logging and email it back. He makes some tweaks and sends you a new tune.

Jannetty has done hundreds of 5th Gens and he is one of the few I would trust personally. You can probably buy your intake from him as well. If you have questions about it you should give them a call. http://jannettyracing.com/
I see, so pre-loaded tune vs custom tune. But is data logging/ custom tune necessary for only exhaust, 93 oct, AFM disable and tire diameter change? How much does the remote custom tune cost? I saw $50 or $200
__________________
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
RJT-SS
 
RJT-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
I see, so pre-loaded tune vs custom tune. But is data logging/ custom tune necessary for only exhaust, 93 oct, AFM disable and tire diameter change? How much does the remote custom tune cost? I saw $50 or $200
Data logging is not necessary for any mods unless directed by your tuner. A tune is not "necessary" for those items. A remote custom tune varies depending on whether you buy the handheld device from the tuner. For example, I did not buy my SCT from Jannetty so my tune, for my mods, was $380. If I would have bought the tuner from Jannetty; it would have been less. The cost of a remote tune depends somewhat on your installed mods.

Back to your OP, I would get a CAI, leave your stock cats alone, and just enjoy the mods without a tune because you won't get much bang for your buck. If you really want your AFM gone, I agree with litle88 and just get the tune. The more performance mods you make, the more value you get out of a tune. So, you might want to think about your longer term goals and then decide.
__________________
Performance Mods:
Kooks 1-7/8 LTs; Calico coated w/HFCs, Solo Mach XL catback w/J-pipes, VMax TB, C.A.I. Intake, JRE Tune, RX Catch-Can
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
I see, so pre-loaded tune vs custom tune. But is data logging/ custom tune necessary for only exhaust, 93 oct, AFM disable and tire diameter change? How much does the remote custom tune cost? I saw $50 or $200
If you buy the $400 SCT tuner from Jannetty that will include the basic tune plus I think a custom tune to fine tune everything. Although you probably won't need much of that with what you're looking to do. Just buying the SCT tuner is like $370, so for $30 more you get custom tuning if needed.

I don't have an Auto but from everything if seen even a basic tune will really wake up the A6. Mostly because of the transmission/torque management changes.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
etmx183

 
etmx183's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,503
Must be a contagious cough, I caught mine from MATT@FSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Removing the cats will make it louder even if you put on HFC's, so I would leave them. Add the CAI and get a GOOD tune...*cough FSP cough*
__________________
CAI intake, RX catch can, Nitrous Outlet Plate system, RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop, SOLO HFCs, JacFab ported manifold and upper intake isolator, Solo cat back Mach X system, 3.91 gears, Weld RT-S, 1 piece DSS driveshaft Stall convertor by:CIRCLE D

TUNING BY:MagnumForce / HP Tuners
13.407@101.72 N/A 11/21/2015
13.356@104.52 E85 N/A Overkill tune 5/20/2016
HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
12.03@115.69 nitrous
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #27
ps2ren
 
ps2ren's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
Data logging is not necessary for any mods unless directed by your tuner. A tune is not "necessary" for those items. A remote custom tune varies depending on whether you buy the handheld device from the tuner. For example, I did not buy my SCT from Jannetty so my tune, for my mods, was $380. If I would have bought the tuner from Jannetty; it would have been less. The cost of a remote tune depends somewhat on your installed mods.

Back to your OP, I would get a CAI, leave your stock cats alone, and just enjoy the mods without a tune because you won't get much bang for your buck. If you really want your AFM gone, I agree with litle88 and just get the tune. The more performance mods you make, the more value you get out of a tune. So, you might want to think about your longer term goals and then decide.
My goal is change the setting to my ideal, 93 oct since I have to use it anyway, accurate speedo, afm gone, sound a bit better etc. Nothing long term nothing than maybe adding HUD since mine is 2010 without it

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If you buy the $400 SCT tuner from Jannetty that will include the basic tune plus I think a custom tune to fine tune everything. Although you probably won't need much of that with what you're looking to do. Just buying the SCT tuner is like $370, so for $30 more you get custom tuning if needed.

I don't have an Auto but from everything if seen even a basic tune will really wake up the A6. Mostly because of the transmission/torque management changes.
is there a down side of getting rid of torque management?
__________________
ps2ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #28
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
My goal is change the setting to my ideal, 93 oct since I have to use it anyway, accurate speedo, afm gone, sound a bit better etc. Nothing long term nothing than maybe adding HUD since mine is 2010 without it
A tune is not required for adding HUD.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
is there a down side of getting rid of torque management?
GM put it in there to protect the transmission. So, it slows you down. Removing it gives you more torque in the car which means more fun but it also leaves you not as protected which means a slight increase in something breaking in the trans. Now, I haven't heard of any real issues with the A6 with or without a tune.

Best bet would be to call some of these tuners and talk to them. Ask the kind of questions and see what they say. You'll know when you've found a knowledgeable tuner.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.