Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

USA - California The Golden State

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Which exhausts are legal in California?

I know when it comes to headers we can only have shorties, no longtubes. But I'm confused on the rest of the exhaust. It seems the after axle exhausts are legal, but what about the ones that change the cats, resonators, X-pipe, etc. What do the CA laws say about those?
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Anything that has a CARB sticker (CARB certification number) is street legal. If it doesn't have certification, then it's not legal.

Simple answer.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
SubSolar

OK, which ones have the sticker currently? Any?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
all the ones I know of are CARB cerified.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
SubSolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
all the ones I know of are CARB cerified.
Cool, so any of the exhaust systems that leave the headers alone are OK? Like the Stainless Works?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
yeah. I don't know of any company that does non-CARB legal exhausts.(except for the "off-road" packages obviously)
Thay would just be losing out on a huge market.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Best bet is to ask the company or see if you can find a "off road use only" warning on advertisements
Old 07-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
You have to keep the "Cats" for smog reasons, other than that, its at the officers "discression" as to the volume of your exhaust. I was "warned" for having Flowmaster's American Thunder exhaust on my 5.0 Rustang, just some food for thought.

I'm pretty sure all manufactures list the C.A.R.B. # on all their products that carry that #. Most "X" pipes do not have cat's, so they are not for use on cars that require smog checks.

I have a "friend" that kept his stock exhaust and installed it for special trips to the smog station.