Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
paul44

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
http://raceprecision.com/1-4%20MileCalculator.htm

its not exact obviously. but it'll give ya an idea.
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2013 ZL1
I would be shocked if the Z/28 is a sub 12 second car. I would be thrilled but shocked.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I would be shocked if the Z/28 is a sub 12 second car. I would be thrilled but shocked.
The Z/28 is not reccomended for the strip.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
My feelings in regards their Z/28 - 1/4 mile comments are:

1. they don't want to step on the ZL1's toes (they built the ZL1 to take repeated drag use; heavy duty rear, etc.)
2. if it (the Z/28) does show itself capable of good times it's a huge plus
3. and most importantly they want the focus on it's track capabilities
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:

To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing.
Yes that is understood, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't be drag raced just like many cars that don't have that "recommendation". What I'm saying is they went out of the usual way to mention that.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes that is understood, but that doesn't mean it can't or won't be drag raced just like many cars that don't have that "recommendation". What I'm saying is they went out of the usual way to mention that.

I think many people are automatically assuming this will be a strip car like the ZL1, owners might be in for some repair bills. The Zl1 has a factory warranty covering the track and strip I am wondering if they come out and say that the Z/28 is not warranted for strip use.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #25
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I agree some will, but most will track or cruise it. It is definitely not built like the ZL1 to take that kind of abuse,
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Warranty

Quote:
I think many people are automatically assuming this will be a strip car like the ZL1, owners might be in for some repair bills. The Zl1 has a factory warranty covering the track and strip I am wondering if they come out and say that the Z/28 is not warranted for strip use.
We all are familiar with warranties . Everything has its limits , once the warranty is over , pop goes the Weezle!!! I'm sure if anyone decides to drag race the z/28 they would be wise enough to strengthen its driveline and axles.besides I don't think a warranty is an issue to a dragger. Me ,"I buy Cadillacs to cruise and modify muscle cars to race".
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #27
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss View Post
We all are familiar with warranties . Everything has its limits , once the warranty is over , pop goes the Weezle!!! I'm sure if anyone decides to drag race the z/28 they would be wise enough to strengthen its driveline and axles.besides I don't think a warranty is an issue to a dragger. Me ,"I buy Cadillacs to cruise and modify muscle cars to race".
I think the muscle car mindset is changed with the ZL1! Even the Caddy's are in the mix with the CTS-V, mind you not a purist muscle car, but it has the power! Also, if you strengthen the rearend, how would that affect its track capabilities? I mean you can water ski behind a cruise ship.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
My wife owns a 2011 cts , luxury horsepower just doesn't sctatch my itch!! Be more specific As far as what track capabilities ? I was only addressing to ur message you posted.
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #29
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ss View Post
My wife owns a 2011 cts , luxury horsepower just doesn't sctatch my itch!! Be more specific As far as what track capabilities ? I was only addressing to ur message you posted.
What I meant is they designed the rearend of the Z/28 for track use. If you change that to be beefier for the strip it might effect its performance on the track. I am not an expert, but I would think if the engineers could have made it for both wouldn't they or does it come down to the COPO is for the strip, the Z/28 is for the track and the ZL1 does everything.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
What I meant is they designed the rearend of the Z/28 for track use. If you change that to be beefier for the strip it might effect its performance on the track. I am not an expert, but I would think if the engineers could have made it for both wouldn't they or does it come down to the COPO is for the strip, the Z/28 is for the track and the ZL1 does everything.
Your homework is to learn and report back on different types of differentials and how, exactly, each is better or worse for a given application. It's not a hard assignment, in fact, if you put forth even a modicum of effort, you can earn the adulation and respect of your peers.

Bonus points for discussing the effect of weight (reduction) as it pertains to road course cars, drag race cars and street cars.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Your homework is to learn and report back on different types of differentials and how, exactly, each is better or worse for a given application. It's not a hard assignment, in fact, if you put forth even a modicum of effort, you can earn the adulation and respect of your peers.

Bonus points for discussing the effect of weight (reduction) as it pertains to road course cars, drag race cars and street cars.

The dog ate it!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post
I’ve seen in magazines the HP that the new Z28 will put down at the fly, but I haven’t seen any actual RWHP numbers. Does anyone know where it will be in that aspect, and how much lighter is the Z28 vs. the 2010 SS.
Its very difficult to get RWHP for a car that has never seen a dyno outside of a GM R&D centre. It gets even more difficult to guess when we don't know what the final flywheel power is going to be. All that is official is that the LS7 will provide at least 500 hp.

But personally, I wouldn't be too worried about what a stock Z/28 makes at the wheel. Namely because its just a number that depends on a whole host of factors beyond the car itself. What type of dyno is it, what are the conditions its being run in, when was the dyno last calibrated, is the operator conservative or generous, and so on. So it is entirely possible that one Z/28 could do a few pulls on a dyno and get a reading of 410 rwhp and the owner would think they've got a slug for a car. But if they went down the street to a different shop the same car could hit 450 rwhp & sunofabitch ... their car is under-rated!

As for weight, the target was 100 lbs less than the SS and from what I recall, they have surpassed that goal without too much trouble. So it will probably end up right around 3700 lbs when its done.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As for weight, the target was 100 lbs less than the SS and from what I recall, they have surpassed that goal without too much trouble. So it will probably end up right around 3700 lbs when its done.
That's my guess as well, right around 3,700.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
A lot depends on if the LS7s are already made. Are they building fresh brand new engines in BG or are they using up units already made at Wixom? If new then there may be room for tweaks. If pre built then you are counting on intake and exhaust for better breathing. I think 520 will be tops. So rear wheel not much more than the good ol Z06