Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Detailer/Polish Spray like Turtle ice wax and Zaino Z6

I was curious to know if there is a limit to use these products. Sometimes you tend to overuse something. I don't want to damage the paint of the car if I keep using a detailer spray. I have only washed my car twice since I got it on May 20th and have kept it clean with detailer sprays. Do I need to be careful of overuse? I don't want to have to wash my car every single week, that seems overkill. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Personally, I only use my Z6 after a wash or after a coat of polish.

I never use it to clean the car alone.

I dont think 1 wash a week is overkill...
Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
1 wash a week is what most "hardcore" car guys do, I would say. I wash my car about once a week.

If you don't want to spend the time, you can buy a Car Duster. California (it's a company) sells one that's supposed to be really good.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Try the california duster bro in between washings. Some guys use the duster first then the detail spray but not me personally. I personally only use the quick detailer after washing the car.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
I NEVER put anything on the paint if its more than a few minutes after its been washed.

I'm a freak about this. I've seen too many cars with fine scratches because owners use "detail sprays" on a car with dust (which is really a light coating of dirt/grit) and its like fine sandpaper.

California duster is just a finer grade of sandpaper.

Unless you're going to Porter-Cable detail your car every couple of months, don't do anything unless the car has just been washed.

(Hint- when you finish washing your car and you've dried it with a REALLY SOFT towel, take a leaf blower (electric prefered) and go over it again. It gets the water that drips from the door edges, window surrounds, etc. when you start to wax....)

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
I NEVER put anything on the paint if its more than a few minutes after its been washed.

I'm a freak about this. I've seen too many cars with fine scratches because owners use "detail sprays" on a car with dust (which is really a light coating of dirt/grit) and its like fine sandpaper.

California duster is just a finer grade of sandpaper.

Unless you're going to Porter-Cable detail your car every couple of months, don't do anything unless the car has just been washed.

(Hint- when you finish washing your car and you've dried it with a REALLY SOFT towel, take a leaf blower (electric prefered) and go over it again. It gets the water that drips from the door edges, window surrounds, etc. when you start to wax....)
Im the same way but some guys hate seeing dust on there cars and dont want to wash it again so these are the only choice but at a chance of scratching your paint.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I usually wash the SS 1 to 2 times a week, and only use Zaino's Z6 once a week, at the local Cruise Night.

Honestly, the only harm you risk is from using the wrong towels to do a spray detailing, and/or, doing it if the car is not entirely clean.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I usually wash the SS 1 to 2 times a week, and only use Zaino's Z6 once a week, at the local Cruise Night.

Honestly, the only harm you risk is from using the wrong towels to do a spray detailing, and/or, doing it if the car is not entirely clean.
I dust off the car before using the spray, or I use the spray after I wash the car.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
BrianGriffin78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Try the california duster bro in between washings. Some guys use the duster first then the detail spray but not me personally. I personally only use the quick detailer after washing the car.
I have a showroom duster and usually use that. When i get water spots and dirt spots, I use the spray.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
A friend of mine gave me a partial gallon of a detailing spray called Auto Tech Wow. It's the color of watered down milk and it works great on my black SS. The best thing about it is that it doesn't leave any kind of haze on the plastic or glass like regular car was does.

I haven't been able to find any of this stuff on eBay or any place else so if someone can find a source for it please let me know.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Until you shoot at a small rock at your car and chip the paint. I've seen numerous cases of this happening. Make sure you mask the intake for the blower if you're gonna do this....I'd just stick to a microfiber drying cloth..they work wonders.

Second note, if you're looking for a detailer spray, I just tested out Turtle Wax Ice detailer..worked awesome on every surface (obviously not glass)
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
A friend of mine gave me a partial gallon of a detailing spray called Auto Tech Wow. It's the color of watered down milk and it works great on my black SS. The best thing about it is that it doesn't leave any kind of haze on the plastic or glass like regular car was does.

I haven't been able to find any of this stuff on eBay or any place else so if someone can find a source for it please let me know.

Russ
http://www.autotechmfg.com/order_info.html

Nobody online that I can find sells it. They say they will point you in the right direction though. Good luck, sure is an obscure product to try to fnd.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
from what ive heard and done is to really wash the car no more than once a week on the average. Put wax on you can do it as much as you want. But the more you put something on the car the better chance you have of having scratches.