Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 941
Corsa Vs Borla- Too loud for Laguna Seca?

Hi all,

Proud new owner of a 1LE! It came with the standard exhaust, and I'd like to upgrade. Looking at Corsa and maybe Borla.

Biggest issue is that this is a track car. Laguna Seca is one of my home tracks, and often has 105db limit track days. Does anyone know from first-hand experience if the Corsa or the Borla are within that? I don't plan on running headers, and I'm leaving the factory cats installed.

I gather from reading posts that the Borla is the louder of the two, but not over the top loud. This would be my first choice, if it doesn't violate the 105db limit and if the drone is minimal.

Thanks!
__________________
Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.7: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:53.9: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3,'15 Z/28 #533
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,255
No drone on the corsa, and there's no way it would hit 105db.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 6,029
What's a good comparison? Idk if I know what 105db sounds like. But my Corsa gets pretty loud.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3,'15 Z/28 #533
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
What's a good comparison? Idk if I know what 105db sounds like. But my Corsa gets pretty loud.
You have headers though.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 6,029
It was loud before the headers at WOT.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
krusher
 
krusher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oskaloosa, IA
Posts: 390
With headers my corsa runs 103 db IN THE CAB with the windows down. With shorty headers it was quiet as hell so I don't thing you have any issues with corsa.
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Hi all,

Proud new owner of a 1LE! It came with the standard exhaust, and I'd like to upgrade. Looking at Corsa and maybe Borla.

Biggest issue is that this is a track car. Laguna Seca is one of my home tracks, and often has 105db limit track days. Does anyone know from first-hand experience if the Corsa or the Borla are within that? I don't plan on running headers, and I'm leaving the factory cats installed.

I gather from reading posts that the Borla is the louder of the two, but not over the top loud. This would be my first choice, if it doesn't violate the 105db limit and if the drone is minimal.

Thanks!
Greetings Orange Crush 1LE,

Congratulations on your new 1LE! I'm sure you're going to enjoy every moment of having it. Feel free to contact us ('Customer Care') anytime you have a concern. We're here to assist as much as possible.

All the best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Falundir

 
Falundir's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Bay
Posts: 2,130
I thought the DB limit of that track was 95...
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
I thought the DB limit of that track was 95...
The tracking groups that I join usually go on 105dB days, at least the last two events that I looked at.

Hoping someone has driven a Camaro at Laguna with a cat-back will chime in!
__________________
Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.7: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:53.9: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Dtrimpi87
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
The tracking groups that I join usually go on 105dB days, at least the last two events that I looked at.

Hoping someone has driven a Camaro at Laguna with a cat-back will chime in!
I wish I could drive laguna but my setup hits 118+ db.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,148
I don't know how loud the Corsa gets, but it was pretty loud on my V6 at WOT. Cruise is pretty timid. Anyway, 105 dB really isn't that loud. I bet most aftermarket systems could hit that pretty easily.

Here's a few points of reference:

  • Near total silence - 0 dB
  • A whisper - 15 dB
  • Normal conversation - 60 dB
  • A lawnmower - 90 dB
  • A car horn - 110 dB
  • A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
  • A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB
At what point of reference is the 105 dB limit? For example, 1 foot from the rear, 50 ft away, etc.
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #12
MarylandSpeed



 
MarylandSpeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,686
Corsa won't be too loud. Borla maybe.
__________________
www.marylandspeed.com * 443-730-9428 * Great Prices and Experienced Service!

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I don't know how loud the Corsa gets, but it was pretty loud on my V6 at WOT. Cruise is pretty timid. Anyway, 105 dB really isn't that loud. I bet most aftermarket systems could hit that pretty easily.

Here's a few points of reference:

  • Near total silence - 0 dB
  • A whisper - 15 dB
  • Normal conversation - 60 dB
  • A lawnmower - 90 dB
  • A car horn - 110 dB
  • A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
  • A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB
At what point of reference is the 105 dB limit? For example, 1 foot from the rear, 50 ft away, etc.
There's a check station on the uphill straight between turn 5 and 6, not exactly sure how close it is to the cars. Hopefully the distance helps.
__________________
Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.7: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:53.9: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3,'15 Z/28 #533
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,255
DB ratings are so stupid.
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,148
Oh yeah, almost forgot, if you are really concerned, you can get a dB meter at RadioShack for 40 or 50 bucks. Comes in handy for other things, like setting up your stereo/home theater.
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.