Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Outlaw77

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS I.O.M. Camaro 6MT
Kooks and Magnaflow Installed!!

Well after almost 3 years of owning my camaro I finally pulled the trigger and got her some parts. I got 1 7/8" kooks long tube headers, kooks hi flow cats and a magnaflow street series cat back system. I just had the stuff installed by Davenport and tuned all at the same time which made things a lot easier for me with the family and travelling. Cost me a few bucks for the install but they did a good job.

For the longest time I was running with just a muffler delete and a K&N intake and over time things started to rattle, the drone was getting on my nerves and it just wasn't a car that I enjoyed long road trips with any more. I swear there was a hole in the stock exhaust somewhere but I could never find it. I kept her stock to keep the warranty but after taking the car into a local dealership, which I will keep nameless at this point, I decided to go my on way from now on. I'd rather take it to someone who knows what they are talking about then a best guess scenario and pay a few extra dollars for a good job.

Any ways after the install and tune I was a little concerned with the final numbers but that has passed and I'm really happy with he new found power overall. Stock it dyno'd 364 rwhp and 351 rwtq. Not bad considering a muffler delete and a K&N intake.

After the install and tuning it came out to 406 rwhp and 403 rwtq! At first I thought I would net a bit more but after some research I am happy with the results. I was hoping for 410 to 415 range. I guess the altitude here effects things a bit. Being from the west coast the air there is soo dense you can tell a difference. Plus real 94 octane was readily available. I had 94 octane in the tank when they tuned it. I asked what octane they tuned it to and they said "whatever was in the tank" Does this mean I have to run 94 all the time now? I have no issues running 91/92 so that's no big deal. In the end it's definitely a great power upgrade that you can feel across the power band, especially up top!

The sound. I went with the street series because I did not want any drone and boy this system delivers that! It's almost too quiet at idle but when you step on it it sounds like a real nice DD muscle car. Nice growl when cruising and a real nice deep growl at WOT that you would expect with long tube headers. Not one spec of drone anywhere! I must admit when I first started her up after the work I thought it would be louder. it is louder just in more of a refined way. I love it!

I don't have any sound videos before but I will get a sample of how she sounds up soon.

Overall I'm super stoked and now all I want to do is drive her!! I can see how a good cam makes all the difference in these LS3's. Maybe next year I guess.

Thanks!

TVS 2300 SC / Kooks headers / Hi Flow Cats / Magnaflow CB / K&N CAI / Dyno Tuned by Davenport Motorsports / BMR 1" lowering springs

Wheels: Rohana RC7 Metallic Gunmetal 20x10 f, 20x11 r, Super Deep Concave + 275/40, 315/35 Nitto Invos
Outlaw77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
IOM2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
My Corsa catback, Kooks long tubes & High flow cats, and a Vararam intake got me to 429 rwhp. You should look into a different CAI.

You should be ok with 91 or 92, but I doubt you have that full 410rwhp without the 94.
IOM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Outlaw77

I was thinking those numbers were a little low. I'm going to give Janetty a call and see whats up. I thought the street series cat back system might be the culprit because of the middle resonator they come with.

TVS 2300 SC / Kooks headers / Hi Flow Cats / Magnaflow CB / K&N CAI / Dyno Tuned by Davenport Motorsports / BMR 1" lowering springs

Wheels: Rohana RC7 Metallic Gunmetal 20x10 f, 20x11 r, Super Deep Concave + 275/40, 315/35 Nitto Invos
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Congrats! That is a great combo. I can also assure you that you are not losing anything through the Magnaflow resonated X pipe. They are very free flowing and will not restrict flow at all.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
That is a good setup...something we sell a lot of. The Magnaflow is very aggressive, so I am sure the car is a beast. In terms of power, it is slightly low, but not abnormally low. Could have been some factors that day like temp, humidity, or even just a dyno reading a little low.

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
video, video ...I am thinking to ggo nearly the same. Mangnaflow street with hearders. I like the stock volume, maybe a tad lounder at idle would be good but once I am on it it sounds decent. So you think it's a little quieter at idle? I suspect it'll get a little louder once the mufflers loosen up. I'm thinking I might do the Tri Y headers myself. Not sure if it infulences the sound differently or not.

Post up a video when you get a chance! So can you feel the power gain??
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 IOM
Seems to be decent numbers for 3400ft, video will be nice.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Outlaw77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
video, video ...I am thinking to ggo nearly the same. Mangnaflow street with hearders. I like the stock volume, maybe a tad lounder at idle would be good but once I am on it it sounds decent. So you think it's a little quieter at idle? I suspect it'll get a little louder once the mufflers loosen up. I'm thinking I might do the Tri Y headers myself. Not sure if it infulences the sound differently or not.

Post up a video when you get a chance! So can you feel the power gain??
Trust me, you will love this set up then! It's not to loud and not to quiet. I will post a vid tonight after work. Just imagine your stock sound but with headers. At idle you know there's something going on. When you step on it it really growls loud. No more decel popping any more, and absolutely no drone what so ever any where. I definitely feel the gains for sure. But for some reason I thought I would least get 415 rwhp. I mean Ted Janetty's tunes gets those numbers all the time from what I read of peoples results. I can't figure out how an actual dyno tune would be lower! I thought if any thing it would be better then a canned tune. The guy at Davenport told me that it was my k&n cai that was the issue but I don't entirely believe that. I would like to talk to the actual guy who does the tuning. But if it is the issue then sure I'll get another CAI and see what that does.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
Trust me, you will love this set up then! It's not to loud and not to quiet. I will post a vid tonight after work. Just imagine your stock sound but with headers. At idle you know there's something going on. When you step on it it really growls loud. No more decel popping any more, and absolutely no drone what so ever any where. I definitely feel the gains for sure. But for some reason I thought I would least get 415 rwhp. I mean Ted Janetty's tunes gets those numbers all the time from what I read of peoples results. I can't figure out how an actual dyno tune would be lower! I thought if any thing it would be better then a canned tune. The guy at Davenport told me that it was my k&n cai that was the issue but I don't entirely believe that. I would like to talk to the actual guy who does the tuning. But if it is the issue then sure I'll get another CAI and see what that does.
The biggest problem with the K&N is that it doesn't properly seal around the airbox, allowing the hot air from the engine bay to be sucked in rather than nice, cool ambient air. The difference will only be a couple HP but still, the difference is there.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote