Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
traildevil

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro LS
stock air intake question

Just out of curiousity, I know its really cheap and maybe degrading to the vehicle, however what would happen if I cut the OEM filter box off right after the sensor and attached a K&N cone filter like a CAI would have? any benefits? or?
traildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Pitboss

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS
First thought that comes to mind, that, without heat shielding or box, the engine would be taking in the heated air around the engine. Kinda defeating the whole purpose of a 'cold' air intake.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
There are a few people who have modified the stock intake to accept a cone filter. Some even have gone as far as building there own box to help insulate.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
K&N has a filter to fit the stock air box.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2434

Another that Jac-Fab sells:
http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...rop-in-filter/
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
RolltideSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
You would also still have the resonator boxes that would impede air and hurt performance I believe.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post

Bought it for $43.83 from Amazon.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
td195f

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE - Mine on 5/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
You would also still have the resonator boxes that would impede air and hurt performance I believe.
I was at Watkins Glen last weekend and got a good look at the Stevenson and CKS Autosport GS Camaros that run in the Continental Tires Series. When they opened the hood for me to get a look, all three cars were running the stock airbox and inlet tube to the throttle body including the resonator boxes. I know there's a lot of hype about adding a cold air intake, but I'm looking at this as save your money. If it's good enough for the GS Camaros and you're not concerned about the cooler appearance of an aftermarket CAI stick with the stock airbox and get a permanent element filter to put in the stock box.
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildevil View Post
Just out of curiousity, I know its really cheap and maybe degrading to the vehicle, however what would happen if I cut the OEM filter box off right after the sensor and attached a K&N cone filter like a CAI would have? any benefits? or?
You would be sucking in a lot of hot air from the engine bay. I am going to go out on a limb and say that you would lose power compared to stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
I was at Watkins Glen last weekend and got a good look at the Stevenson and CKS Autosport GS Camaros that run in the Continental Tires Series. When they opened the hood for me to get a look, all three cars were running the stock airbox and inlet tube to the throttle body including the resonator boxes. I know there's a lot of hype about adding a cold air intake, but I'm looking at this as save your money. If it's good enough for the GS Camaros and you're not concerned about the cooler appearance of an aftermarket CAI stick with the stock airbox and get a permanent element filter to put in the stock box.
We tend to think of race cars as running whatever is the latest and greatest in performance, and in many respects this is true, but all racing series have certain regulations that must be following. Induction is often one of the most strictly regulated parts on the engine in order to limit how much power certain vehicles make. I wouldn't draw to hasty of a conclusion without looking through the regs first. I can promise you that they aren't running the stock tube and air box because they couldn't find something better.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Does anyone make a direct replacement silicone hose to replace the stock plastic tube?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
If to do something right like a roto fab or CAI was $1000 and required me to find a tech and pay him 300 to install it, I might be cobbling on a conical or something too. But the CAI is like $400 and installs with hand tools in an hour by anyone. When I spend 40K or so on a car, I can find 1% of that number to make the engine compartment work and look good:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
I'll bet that they are not running the stock intake because they want to, I'll bet that they have to. Dyno tests have proven that a CAI is worth about 15 horsepower. Most racers would kill for 15 horsepower.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:

That's what I was going to say

Quote:
I was at Watkins Glen last weekend...
stock airbox...

If it's good enough for the GS Camaros and you're not concerned about the cooler appearance of an aftermarket CAI stick with the stock airbox and get a permanent element filter to put in the stock box.
I don't know about other motors, but there are repeated dyno pulls showing the difference cold air intake makes on the ZL1.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If to do something right like a roto fab or CAI was $1000 and required me to find a tech and pay him 300 to install it, I might be cobbling on a conical or something too. But the CAI is like $400 and installs with hand tools in an hour by anyone. When I spend 40K or so on a car, I can find 1% of that number to make the engine compartment work and look good:
This! Why spend your hard-earned cash on a great car, only to hack and cut up something to try and save some money? Buy a cold air intake and don't look back.
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (25k miles)
You can find a used K&N CAI for cheap. Also, I know my local pep boys sells the K&N Cold air intake for the SS and Its pretty cheap.

Don't fabricate your stock box. It will look ridiculous. Save up and buy a used real CAI.

You are even better off buying a cheap one like this off e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-RED-2010-2...78c0f3&vxp=mtr
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Lookup the member bad70supreme. I think that's correct. He made his own cold air Intake from a stock one.
Or look at this thread by him
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157335

I'm also working on my own. There's a thread in the llt bolt on section
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
i applaud your common sense, sir!
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:

But it doesn't help one bit. Except to drain your wallet
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (25k miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
But it doesn't help one bit. Except to drain your wallet
Not true. The K&N filters are less restrictive so more air passes through. Also, as opposed to stock filters, K&N direct replacement filters are washable so instead of having to keep purchasing new air filters you just re-use them. In the long run, it will save you money.

It all depends on preference.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I am a big fan of OEM. The engineers whom designed it knew what they were doing, or they would have added one, at extra cost for us of course.

For the cost of a CAI for a non-racer like me, just doesn't make sense. You are getting cold air intake (CAI) relatively, compared to the heat of the engine surrounding it.

Not allowed to talk about the other after-market thingy as I am on my final warning for my humble opinion that is brilliant but not appreciated.

Peace out.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
I am a big fan of OEM. The engineers whom designed it knew what they were doing, or they would have added one, at extra cost for us of course.

For the cost of a CAI for a non-racer like me, just doesn't make sense. You are getting cold air intake (CAI) relatively, compared to the heat of the engine surrounding it.

Not allowed to talk about the other after-market thingy as I am on my final warning for my humble opinion that is brilliant but not appreciated.

Peace out.
Of course. The cars come from the factory perfect in every way, with no room for improvement. Those engineers have unlimited time and budgets, and no regulations to contend with, so they've thought of everything!

Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Not true. The K&N filters are less restrictive so more air passes through. Also, as opposed to stock filters, K&N direct replacement filters are washable so instead of having to keep purchasing new air filters you just re-use them. In the long run, it will save you money.

It all depends on preference.
Your second point (money savings) is correct.

Your first point has been proven false. The drop-in K&N filter does not increase power. Often times the OEM airbox itself is a big part of the restriction of airflow. Have you seen the snorkel that comes off of that thing?
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Your second point (money savings) is correct.

Your first point has been proven false. The drop-in K&N filter does not increase power. Often times the OEM airbox itself is a big part of the restriction of airflow. Have you seen the snorkel that comes off of that thing?
The snorkel actually helps the stock airbox... It flows worse if you remove it.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
JMO, but there were 3 things why I spent the money and bought a CAI and not in any particular order. 1. Increase in MPG. Granted it may have only been a tiny increase but every little bit helps especially when just 2 months ago we were well over $4 per gallon. 2. Performance. Again very small increase but again every little bit is appreciated. 3. Looks. This is probably one of the more important factors about adding this as to me it now looks a lot better under the hood. I bought the Injen CAI with the polished tube and it looks nice under the hood. I was going to settle for just adding the K&N filter to the air box but why not make it look cleaner under the hood.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
The snorkel actually helps the stock airbox... It flows worse if you remove it.
Why would that be? How can channeling the air through that narrow tube help?

I'm just curious, as when I pulled my stock airbox out to clean a bunch of crap out of the bottom, I kind of laughed when I saw that appendage coming off of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #25
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Why would that be? How can channeling the air through that narrow tube help?

I'm just curious, as when I pulled my stock airbox out to clean a bunch of crap out of the bottom, I kind of laughed when I saw that appendage coming off of it.
The radiused entry on the end helps smooth incoming airflow, and increases velocity. The narrow tube with the radiused end, is better than a narrow hole with a flat end.

Take the test results with a grain of salt because they were not tested through a head/intake/throttle body. Just tested with the stock airbox, and stock intake tube. You're better off leaving the snorkel than you are removing it.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote