Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
rocketrider807

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
20x10s up front

I've seen the question of "how wide can the front be" pop up a few times so I thought I'd report on an experiment I did today.
I'm running AR Villains 20x10, 38mm off set 275/40/20 in the rear and 20x8.5, 38mm off set, 245/45/20 in the fronts. I've had more understeer than I expected so I tried moving the rears to the front (temporarily) to see if 20x10 would fit (with the goal of running 20x10s all around if successful). Short answer, they just barely fit! More in depth answer:

With the given tires/wheel offsets, eibach lowering springs (~1"?), and camber set 1 bolt turn from full negative (not sure what that translates to in degrees, haven't measured yet), I have sufficient clearance to the bottom of the strut, and marginal clearance between the inside wall of the tire and body of the strut. The side clearance I measured using feeler gauges. I could fit a .02" feeler gauge between the tire and strut and move it in and out without causing the tire to rotate. I also went for a quick run around local back roads, trying to make harsh turns to try to cause the strut and wheel to rub. It doesn't appear that any rubbing occurred, though .02" is awfully close. That being said, there's enough room to space the wheel outward a bit without interfering with the wheel well! That or I can "increase" my camber a little (I think its a bit too negative anyways, but haven't done sufficient experiments yet)...or different still I can run slightly thinner tire. Hope this helps anyone trying to figure out their front wheel sizes!

Bottom of strut clearance, my index finger for reference

Inside Clearance

Measuring inside clearance

Well side view

Well top view, definite room to move outward!

No obvious signs of rubbing

Let me know if you have questions about my little experiment or setup

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back

Special thanks to ApexMotorsports and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to get faster!
rocketrider807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
madbee1993

Drives: 2013 camaro 1lt
@rocketrider807, do you think running 10 or 10.5 all the way around will give you better performance? In my situation I'm all stock now.
madbee1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
jake2212

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss/rs A6 Supercharged
the zl1 runs 20x10s up front so i see no problem with doing it yourself

jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
rocketrider807

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Jake2212: Correct! Though they are different offsets than my wheels...and I dont know if ZL1 runs different hubs or rotors or anything that may change spacing? Point is, offset matters!

Madbee1993: running wider wheels will give a noticeable increase in turning grip, but they're isn't quite any replacement for good rubber! Different size wheels will also allow for wider selections of tread without changing your over all tire diameter (a big reason I changed wheels). Short answer, yeah, you should feel it

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back

Special thanks to ApexMotorsports and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to get faster!
rocketrider807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Seabass33

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue
Im running the ZL1 Wheels on my Car the 10x20 in the front with the 23 Offset fits with no Problem. Suspension is KW V1

Tags
size, suspension, tires, wheels, width