Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Arodr395
 
Arodr395's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 White Audi S5, 2014 Black 1LE
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 394
1LE Rear Tire Size

Are the rear tires on the 1LE wide enough? Because I know in certain photos the rear tires look too skinny.
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
1Slow6.2
 
1Slow6.2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NorCal
Posts: 269
285's are pretty damn wide IMO.. I get compliments everywhere I go.


Sent from my hip pocket.. While slapping 5th.. As your reading my plate
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Jc's1LE
 
Drives: 2015 SW 1LE BA NPP Recaros
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: lake mary FL
Posts: 556
they are stretched for a reason to keep more foot print on the road when you are out tearing up turns
Jc's1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 View Post
285's are pretty damn wide IMO.. I get compliments everywhere I go.


Sent from my hip pocket.. While slapping 5th.. As your reading my plate
you're*
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Arodr395
 
Arodr395's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 White Audi S5, 2014 Black 1LE
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 View Post
285's are pretty damn wide IMO.. I get compliments everywhere I go.


Sent from my hip pocket.. While slapping 5th.. As your reading my plate
I agree that 285's are pretty wide, but then again you have to remember that the Camaro is a pretty big car for a sports car. I like my cars to have a wide stance in the rear, and in my opinion I feel that the 1LE would look better if it had the 305 rear tires that the ZL1 has.
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc's1LE View Post
they are stretched for a reason to keep more foot print on the road when you are out tearing up turns
Ummmm, no...
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,870
Thats exactly why they are stretched.They found that this is the set up that makes the 1LE one of the best handling cars on the road, period.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
BigBlock69RS
Ed
 
BigBlock69RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Ummmm, no...
Actually yes, a stretched tire on a rim will handle better than the same sized tire on a narrower rim. Ie find the widest rim that will fit and get the narrowest tire on that rim.

Now looks are a different story...
__________________
BigBlock69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
Actually yes, a stretched tire on a rim will handle better than the same sized tire on a narrower rim. Ie find the widest rim that will fit and get the narrowest tire on that rim.

Now looks are a different story...
Yet the tire/wheel combo that does the most work aren't like this......
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
There was an quote from one of the engineers that stated that was the reason.

I believe them.

They understand things better than a hillbilly with a mullet car thinking wider is always better.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
There was an quote from one of the engineers that stated that was the reason.

I believe them.

They understand things better than a hillbilly with a mullet car thinking wider is always better.
The same engineers also said the larger lower grille on the 2014 let more air in. Yet if you actually look at it the actual opening is the same if not smaller than the 2010-2013.

I guarantee if you put a ZL1 rear tire on a 1LE that handling would be better not worse.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
I guarantee you're wrong.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Bozz1LE
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 388
The reason they are 285 is for neutral handling, cars with wider rear tires tend to be less consistent/predictable on the track. Running a square set of tires gives a better more in tune feel to the car and is much more predictable, 285 seems to be that nice medium.

Ive been running time trials, lapping days and autox's for about 10 years now and noticed that driving a car square set of tires gives you a bit more confidence as well.
__________________
2013 Summit White Camaro 1SS/1LE/RS - Ordered 2/22 - Built 4/4 - Picked up 4/13/2013. 1 of 72
Custom Grind Cam + All Goodies/TSP 1 7/8 Long Tubes and 3" Exhaust/Nitrous Outlet 90MM Plate Kit
Built and Tuned by DaSilva Motorsports in Breslau, Ontario.
Bozz1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Bozz1LE
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
The same engineers also said the larger lower grille on the 2014 let more air in. Yet if you actually look at it the actual opening is the same if not smaller than the 2010-2013.

I guarantee if you put a ZL1 rear tire on a 1LE that handling would be better not worse.
probably loose a second per lap with a 305 rear.
__________________
2013 Summit White Camaro 1SS/1LE/RS - Ordered 2/22 - Built 4/4 - Picked up 4/13/2013. 1 of 72
Custom Grind Cam + All Goodies/TSP 1 7/8 Long Tubes and 3" Exhaust/Nitrous Outlet 90MM Plate Kit
Built and Tuned by DaSilva Motorsports in Breslau, Ontario.
Bozz1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:



You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:



You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.
I don't think so,but my question is, when you're so wrong(Cody)why do you keep coming back for more? when im wrong i just shut the hell up.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:



You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.

Do you ever look at your car underneath or from any kind of technical aspect? If you did it would be pretty clear that things weren't made from a what's best perspective. This car was built to match a picture someone with little car knowledge drew up.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
Bro.


Nobody's wrong on the internet.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I don't think so,but my question is, when you're so wrong(Cody)why do you keep coming back for more? when im wrong i just shut the hell up.
That's just it as a square set of wheels/tires (same dimensions front & rear) is just that not stretched tires on the back.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Bro.


Nobody's wrong on the internet.
Common sense would kill this place.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Do you ever look at your car underneath or from any kind of technical aspect? If you did it would be pretty clear that things weren't made from a what's best perspective. This car was built to match a picture someone with little car knowledge drew up.

What does this have to do with you being completely wrong about the topic we are currently speaking of.

I had a GTO and a Coyote Mustang before this.

You are most likely a better engineer than the designers of those two cars as well because this platform looks lightyears more solid underneath or from a "technical" aspect than either of the above.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
That's just it as a square set of wheels/tires (same dimensions front & rear) is just that not stretched tires on the back.
Have you been drinking?

racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
white1LE
 
white1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dubuque, IA
Posts: 442
I don't road race so I installed the 305's for looks and grip in a straight line. Someone already said it, wider body needs a fatter tire as far as appearance goes.
Attached Images
 
white1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
Arodr395
 
Arodr395's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 White Audi S5, 2014 Black 1LE
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
Maybe Cody knows more than this guy:



You know, the engineer of the car.

Check the 40 second mark if you need to get right to it.

Cody,

http://careers.gm.com/#.html

You might as well apply here, to take this guy's place.
Does having the same tire size in the front and the rear make a car handle better and gives better times around the track? Or does having the tire stretched in the rear just create a better performing car around the track?
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
What does this have to do with you being completely wrong about the topic we are currently speaking of.

I had a GTO and a Coyote Mustang before this.

You are most likely a better engineer than the designers of those two cars as well because this platform looks lightyears more solid underneath or from a "technical" aspect than either of the above.
My last few cars were 2006 GTO, 2007 C6, 2012 Camaro and now a 2014 Mustang GT. So I must say that I got a pretty good chuckle out of that statement. Just like I laugh every time one of you mention engineers like they gave a **** about half the stuff you're talking about.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.