Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #1
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Question Switching from SS wheels to ZL1 wheels. Need anything else ?

Hi guys,
I'm about to change wheels on my 45th.

My new wheels will be the black 10 spokes with 285/35 and 305/35 GY Eagle F1.

I've read about the e-brake cable that need to be zip tied for preventing him to rub on the rim.
Do I need something else ?
Like an alignment ?

Thanks for your help.

Oliv'
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
332
 
Drives: 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 146
Congrats on your new wheels!

I would balance them, don`t know if they are hubcentric or you need adapter rings, you could measure the hub to the stock wheels.

You could do the alignment just to make sure you are not off, not to wear the tires unevenlly, but given the fact that the car is almost new and you have quality roads there I wouldn`t worry about it!

Post some pictures with your car after it is done!
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
rockrau
 
rockrau's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: perkasie pa
Posts: 358
Congrats,I also finally got mine on 2 weeks ago.My car is lowered so I needed to zip tie the E brake cables to the trailing arms.They were FANTASTIC on the road course!
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
Congrats on your new wheels!
Thanks

Can't wait to receive them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
I would balance them, don`t know if they are hubcentric or you need adapter rings, you could measure the hub to the stock wheels.
Sorry for my bad english, but I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "hubcentric" and "adapter rings" ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
You could do the alignment just to make sure you are not off, not to wear the tires unevenlly, but given the fact that the car is almost new and you have quality roads there I wouldn`t worry about it!
Considering I hadn't done alignment since my purchase, I think it's worth doing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
Post some pictures with your car after it is done!
Sure ! In 2 or 3 weeks I think.


Thanks for your help
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
Congrats,I also finally got mine on 2 weeks ago.My car is lowered so I needed to zip tie the E brake cables to the trailing arms.They were FANTASTIC on the road course!
Thanks


No rubbing issues ?

How many drop do you have ?
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
332
 
Drives: 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliv59 View Post
Thanks

Can't wait to receive them !



Sorry for my bad english, but I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "hubcentric" and "adapter rings" ?
Hubcentric wheel is when the center bore of the wheel is sized to fit perfectly onto the hub of that car, no need for the adapter rings to make them fit properly, if the wheels are not hubcentric than you need adapter rings. I assume you purchased OEM ZL1 so I do not think you will need adapter rings.

Here is a link if you need to have a more in deph look:http://tires.about.com/od/understand...ric-wheels.htm

It is very well also to do an alignment but be very careful what shop you choose to do this, if they are not very good at it they can mess it up.
Look at your tires now and see if they are evenly worn, if so I think your alignment is good, if the tires are uneven worn then do the alignment but be carefull what shop you choose.
Again due the fact that you have very good roads in your country and not a lot of mileage on the car probably you won`t need it.

I don`t believe there will rubbing issues with your weels on the fenders or so but you should zip tie the e brake cable.

A lot of people are using coilovers with those rims and don`t have rubbing problems
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
Hubcentric wheel is when the center bore of the wheel is sized to fit perfectly onto the hub of that car, no need for the adapter rings to make them fit properly, if the wheels are not hubcentric than you need adapter rings. I assume you purchased OEM ZL1 so I do not think you will need adapter rings.

Here is a link if you need to have a more in deph look:http://tires.about.com/od/understand...ric-wheels.htm
Cristal clear ! At least, I learned something today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
It is very well also to do an alignment but be very careful what shop you choose to do this, if they are not very good at it they can mess it up.
Look at your tires now and see if they are evenly worn, if so I think your alignment is good, if the tires are uneven worn then do the alignment but be carefull what shop you choose.
Again due the fact that you have very good roads in your country and not a lot of mileage on the car probably you won`t need it.

I don`t believe there will rubbing issues with your weels on the fenders or so but you should zip tie the e brake cable.

A lot of people are using coilovers with those rims and don`t have rubbing problems
Yes, I think it will be fine. The most difficult is to find a good alignment shop lol

Thanks for the advices
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Hi guys,

I'm back with my ZL1 wheels
Happy, but I want to be sure there is nothing wrong : wheels are sticking out.
Especially the front wheels as you can see.
And the rear driver side wheel sticks out more than the passenger side.
Do I need an alignment or it's just a factory tolerance ?

Pictures taken with a ruler placed against the wheel.

Thanks for your help.
Oliv'


Last edited by Oliv59; 07-22-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
rockrau
 
rockrau's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: perkasie pa
Posts: 358
One of the reasons I bought them was because they are hub centric.Didn't want to have an issue on the road course.The Goodyears seem to have a better ride on the street than the Pirellis and were great on the track.Get an alignment guy to look at the body spacing issue.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
Get an alignment guy to look at the body spacing issue.
Yes, I have to.
Should I use these values (oem FE4) ?


And with this wheels change, should I time my bushings ?

Perhaps it's just a visual impression, but it seems to me that I had more negative camber with front stock wheels.
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
rockrau
 
rockrau's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: perkasie pa
Posts: 358
My ride height is 650mm from bottom wheel lip thru wheel center to wheel arch .
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
Get an alignment guy to look at the body spacing issue.
Aligment done.

Rear passenger wheel was a little bit out, with -0.65 Camber.
Now it's fine and I have less than 2mm difference of body spacing.

For the front wheel, I have -0.90 Camber, so I'm fine too.
And the wheels stick out as before.
So, there is the dumb question of the day : on hard bumps, will wheels travel behind the fenders or right in the fenders ?
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
rockrau
 
rockrau's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: perkasie pa
Posts: 358
The only thing my tires touch is asphalt.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
The only thing my tires touch is asphalt.

Good to hear !

Do you have some mods like bushings, sways, ... ?
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
332
 
Drives: 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: middle of nowhere
Posts: 146
I was thinking about you a few days ago and wandted to tell you since you are in France and might get lower temps beware of the tire cracking sympthom. You have the link here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273153
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
rockrau
 
rockrau's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss red
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: perkasie pa
Posts: 358
I have Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 style sway bar conversion & Pedders Full Alignment Kit.And of corse a good wheel alignment.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #17
Oliv59
 
Oliv59's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th M6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France (59)
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
I was thinking about you a few days ago and wandted to tell you since you are in France and might get lower temps beware of the tire cracking sympthom. You have the link here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273153
Yes, I was aware of that.
Anyway, thank you for warning me
Oliv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.