Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Runawayhacker
 
Runawayhacker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 183
Squeezing out HP with only bolt-ons

So, I have promised myself that I would not do forced induction because

A ) Reduces life of the engine
B ) I would kill myself

So, I'm trying to go for the "sleeper" approach and do minimal mods to the look of the car, but get every bit of performance out of it. So far, I have the following

- K&N Typhoon CAI
- VMax CNC Ported Throttle Body (GREAT mod!)
- Separate clutch reservoir (no real HP gains)

I'm at the point now where I need new tires. I'm pretty certain I will be getting the Goodyear Eagle GT tires for a nice balance between longevity, performance, and weathered driving conditions compared to my Pirelli's (not impressed with them)

So, I'm left with the following ideas for mods

- Catch can (no performance gains. Still debating it's necessity in the long run)
- Exhaust ( I'm liking the SOLO performance exhaust shown below, but recommendations are always welcome)

With that being said, are there any other easy mods I can do myself (amateur) that won't break the bank that will add to the performance?

EDIT I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS M6 LS3


Last edited by Runawayhacker; 07-09-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added model of car
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
FaytalsCamaro
Account Suspended
 
Drives: My Wife Crazy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,704
Headers depending on your mechanical skills
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Team STILLEN


 
Team STILLEN's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 Camaro, 10 GT500, 09 GT-R, etc
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca
Posts: 1,692
What is your goal and budget?

You can go with LT Headers, a tune etc...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

JT
__________________
JT - STILLEN Performance Specialist
jtang@stillen.com | 714-540-5566 ext 174
Authorized Dealer - Hotchkis | KW | BC | Eibach | H&R | JBA | Magnaflow | Kooks | CAI | Roto-Fab | K&N | Airaid | AEM | AP Racing | Hawk | Magnuson | Whipple | Edelbrock | Vortech | Procharger | RKSport | Seibon | ACT | T-Rex | Street Scene | WeatherTech

Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Runawayhacker
 
Runawayhacker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
Headers depending on your mechanical skills
Just watched an install video of headers on a LS3 and sad to say, I don't have the resources to this myself. However, I may have to make an exception to my rules for this one.

Can someone explain exactly what the aftermarket headers are doing to give more HQ/Torque? Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?

EDIT
Derp. Google-Fu wins every time. Good article to read up on
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Dtrimpi87
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,858
If you want to "get every bit of performance" out of it, get rid of the K&N typhoon and buy a Cold Air Inductions brand intake with scoop.

And yes, get a catch can if you like your engine and want to "get every bit of performance" out of it. It won't add any power but it will help keep power robbing gunk out of your intake tract.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Dtrimpi87
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Just watched an install video of headers on a LS3 and sad to say, I don't have the resources to this myself. However, I may have to make an exception to my rules for this one.

Can someone explain exactly what the aftermarket headers are doing to give more HQ/Torque? Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?

EDIT
Derp. Google-Fu wins every time. Good article to read up on
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html
Headers flow better and allow the exhaust gasses to exit the engine faster thus allowing more air into the engine at a faster rate. More air and fuel you cram into an engine the more power. The better it breathes, the more power. Thats the basics. You can also research the scavenging effect headers have on the exhaust flow.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
HaulnJ
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Anchorage, Ak.
Posts: 179
Installed the complete Stainless Works system, Long tube headers and cat-back , on my 2010 LS3 SS/RS . The fit and finish is spot on, first header and pipe install without having to go to the parts store or bend stuff to make it fit. The sound and performance are awesome. Dyno tune Wed. will find out what the true HP numbers are then.
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
bcamaro1
 
bcamaro1's Avatar
 
Drives: Blue ray w/ silver stripe 2ss
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 85
Headers are your best bet for hp gains or even just switch out those retrictive stock cats. I installed all my performance upgrades myself and was my first time I sure you could do them. You can even install the headers off of jack stands.
__________________
New car- 2013 ls3, dusk special edition, muffler delete, CAI intake, ported vmax throttle body, next will be headers and tune...

First car-2011 L99, Vmax ported throttle body 90mm, Vararam intake, flowmaster outlaw exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ Cats, PCM tune
bcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Smirnoff

 
Smirnoff's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Motorcity Dragway
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?
Similar to putting helium in the tires to make the car lighter.
__________________
11.90's w/headers, CAI, tune, & some high-test (no bling).



Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Dtrimpi87
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Similar to putting helium in the tires to make the car lighter.
Lol okayyyy..........

Last edited by Dtrimpi87; 07-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,160
Headers and 25% UDP can get you around 50whp if not a little more......Neither is incredibly difficult.
__________________
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,063
Beyond headers and a tune you should then look at suspension. Getting the car to put the power to the ground is just as important. I've beaten plenty of cars at the race track that actually had more HP than me but they didn't have a way to put it to the ground. They spun....I left.

After suspension you should consider gears as well. Also, getting lighter wheels will help with un-sprung weight.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Beyond headers and a tune you should then look at suspension. Getting the car to put the power to the ground is just as important. I've beaten plenty of cars at the race track that actually had more HP than me but they didn't have a way to put it to the ground. They spun....I left.

After suspension you should consider gears as well. Also, getting lighter wheels will help with un-sprung weight.
Great advice...Headers/UDP/SUSPENSION!
__________________
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Runawayhacker
 
Runawayhacker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Beyond headers and a tune you should then look at suspension. Getting the car to put the power to the ground is just as important. I've beaten plenty of cars at the race track that actually had more HP than me but they didn't have a way to put it to the ground. They spun....I left.

After suspension you should consider gears as well. Also, getting lighter wheels will help with un-sprung weight.
Specifically, what would you recommend for the suspension?
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Specifically, what would you recommend for the suspension?
First thing I had to do was get rid of wheel hop. A set of Toe Rods did that for the most part. Not that expensive and you can add without having to align your car.

After that the thing I felt the most was a set of cradle bushing inserts. If you can afford some of the solid bushings like ADM's or Pfadt's then that's probably the way to go but if you're not at the 500 hp range you can get away with a set of inserts. Again....cheaper, easier to install, and can be removed and sold if you ever need to.

Those are to two most important IMO. Beyond that Front Radius Rod bushings, Rear End bushings, coilovers or drop springs, and some swaybars for cornering.

A good alignment is always a good and relatively cheap way to make the car handle good as well. If you lower your car then you're probably going to want to pick up some Pedders eccentric bolts (at least the rear camber bolts) so you can achieve that good alignment.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Pro Stock John
Writer
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,539
I would do:

Underdrive pulley: I have run mine for 10,000 miles
Long tubes + cats: I have Kooks, major power gains
Cold air: I liked sealed box systems like the CAI

My L99 went from 314 RWHP to 367 RWHP, picked up 6 MPH at the track. Good stuff.
__________________
PROJECT HEAVY CHEVY: 2010 Camaro SS/RS |1SS | L99 | CGM
13.15@106 1.95 | 100% Stock
12.06@113 1.70 | Bolt-Ons | Stock 3.27s
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo's PTB | Kooks LTs | Hooker Maxflows | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR AirRam Manifold | Powerbond UDP | 3.91s

LSX Record List: http://motorhed.com/xf/threads/lsx-r...the-list.6022/
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,648
As far as not having the resources to do headers...you really don't need much other than basic tools. The same tools you'd be using if you did any other mod. I couldn't believe how easy my TSP headers went in. I would highly recommend them! Got em used on here so I got a great deal that didn't break the bank.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,662
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, if you are not mechanically inclined I would stop where you are. But if you are willing to learn and take a risk there are many DIY threads for all common bolt-on mods. You also might find some local Camaro owners who would help.

Understand tuning your car will for sure void your warranty, unless you have a very cool dealer. You can run long tube headers without a tune but you will have to deal with some CELs. Some will say even LTs will kill your warranty, but I have not seen a thread where that actually happened. But when you start modding your car you are taking some risk, be aware.

Also know that high flow cats are at least half of the gain you get with long tubes since the stock restrictive cats will not work with LTs. So you can get a nice gain just by replacing the stock cats with Solos. These cats are designed to prevent CELs, but you still might see one once in a while. Replacing just the cats is rather easy compared to LTs, but even LTs on Camaros are pretty easy. Later if you decide to go with LTs you will have to replace the Solos. but they will be easy to sell.

Go slowly modding your Camaro and enjoy each mod before moving on to the next.
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
bdsdnfam
Synful
 
bdsdnfam's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy Green SS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Farmington, MN
Posts: 136
So first and foremost, the only way your warranty will be voided by any modification is if that modification caused the failure. Have a reputable shop perform the work and you won't have problems. I've added:

K&N CAI
VMAX Throttle Body
SLP Ceramic Header Pkg.
Hi-Flo Cats
Powerflo-x Crossover Pipe
Loudmouth II 4" Exhaust with Round Tips.
Motiv Magellan 20" Wheels
Westers Tune

I don't know what I'm getting for HP gains yet but I will tell you that there is a definite improvement, great sound, and I get lots of stares. All in all about $5K installed and worth every penny for these mods.
Attached Images
 
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Specifically, what would you recommend for the suspension?
I would recommend spending a lot more time here READING every thread you can find. Every question you ask is going to spawn dozens more. It will make a lot more sense if you have an idea what things are.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Camarojt

 
Camarojt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Allen, Tx
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsdnfam View Post
So first and foremost, the only way your warranty will be voided by any modification is if that modification caused the failure. Have a reputable shop perform the work and you won't have problems. I've added:

K&N CAI
VMAX Throttle Body
SLP Ceramic Header Pkg.
Hi-Flo Cats
Powerflo-x Crossover Pipe
Loudmouth II 4" Exhaust with Round Tips.
Motiv Magellan 20" Wheels
Westers Tune

I don't know what I'm getting for HP gains yet but I will tell you that there is a definite improvement, great sound, and I get lots of stares. All in all about $5K installed and worth every penny for these mods.
Just so the OP doesn't get confused, if you decide to have headers installed by a reputable shop and they do in fact tune your car, you will be 99% likely to lose your power train warranty. Yes the law says that the mod has to cause the failure, but from all the posts on here, the consensus is that once they look at your PCM and see that it's been tuned, you are done. Unless you have 1 of those rare cool dealerships that is ok with it.

Now, if you have a warranty claim from something like your power seats stop working, you will still have warranty on some things. It doesn't kill all your warranty.
Camarojt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Southwestspeed.net

 
Ivan @ Southwest Speed's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 11,618
Before you get nuts with Suspension, add some Pfadt Trailing arms and maybe a rear sway bar.

That alone will substantially increease your traction and safety. The 5th Gens have incredible rear push and the sway bar out back will help that dramatically.

Adding the trailing arms is money in the bank. They reduce wheel hop and help transfer power to the street easily and economically.

Of course, you can go all out, but unless you're tracking it...why?

With that being said. Add a set of Long Tube headers. Very simple, under 3 hours with basic hand tools for the novice wrencher.

After that, read the DIY Cam install and go for it. I can not tell you how many folks have called me with this same "I've never done something like that before but those instructions were incredible....thanks" conversations.

Swapping the Cam is simple and makes the most out of your LS3 Manual car imho.

Yes, both will give you warranty issues since they would require a tune, but in all honesty, the work is worth it and you'll be asking yourself how come you didn't do it sooner after you're done.

Enjoy your Camaro your way and let us know if we can help!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
So, I have promised myself that I would not do forced induction because

A ) Reduces life of the engine
B ) I would kill myself

So, I'm trying to go for the "sleeper" approach and do minimal mods to the look of the car, but get every bit of performance out of it. So far, I have the following

- K&N Typhoon CAI
- VMax CNC Ported Throttle Body (GREAT mod!)
- Separate clutch reservoir (no real HP gains)

I'm at the point now where I need new tires. I'm pretty certain I will be getting the Goodyear Eagle GT tires for a nice balance between longevity, performance, and weathered driving conditions compared to my Pirelli's (not impressed with them)

So, I'm left with the following ideas for mods

- Catch can (no performance gains. Still debating it's necessity in the long run)
- Exhaust ( I'm liking the SOLO performance exhaust shown below, but recommendations are always welcome)

With that being said, are there any other easy mods I can do myself (amateur) that won't break the bank that will add to the performance?

EDIT I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS M6 LS3
The Most Performance available from bolt ons will come from

Cold air inductions
LT headers
SCT JRE Tune
You can expect 40 RWHP and 45 RWTQ Gain over stock.

Save your money on the other items listed for when you pockets are overflowing with cash.
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,808
Hacker,

What are your goals with your car because this will affect what we are going to advise.

Street
Strip/ 1/4 mile
Road Course/autocross

Each one will have a different goal for your Suspension goals. Why do I bring this up? Because after you add your headers/cats, Cai and tune you are going to want to put that power to the ground.

Caverman has mentioned solid cradle mounts or inserts but I am going to disagree with him, for once. I am going to suggest solid urethane bushings like pedders or others. The inserts are not enough and the solids are too much and transmit to much NVH and can get annoying after awhile.

Toe rods, trailing arms and bushings are the minimum to eliminate wheel hop. Also, Eagle GT tires are not a real good choice. Try looking into some Nitto Invo's or, if you have the cash, Michelin Pilot super Sports.

But most of all start by doing your homework. Search the forum and see which brands get you the most gains. Some claim to do so (KN) but others prove it here by their dyno numbers. See what the guys in the V8 fast list have done to their cars. Dyno numbers are nice but nothing provides proof like the track. Check out the Jannetty CAI thread. Also research some of the folks that are giving you advice because some of us have been doing this for a long time and others have not. Some of the vendors will just try to sell you something where others will sell it to you and provide great customer service as well.

Take your time and if you have quick question feel free to stop in the V8 help desk thread.

My choice would be Halltech CAI, Kooks Headers and cats, with the Corsa Exhaust and of course a quality tune.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
JDP Motorsports

 
JDP Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 3,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
So, I have promised myself that I would not do forced induction because

A ) Reduces life of the engine
B ) I would kill myself

So, I'm trying to go for the "sleeper" approach and do minimal mods to the look of the car, but get every bit of performance out of it. So far, I have the following

- K&N Typhoon CAI
- VMax CNC Ported Throttle Body (GREAT mod!)
- Separate clutch reservoir (no real HP gains)

I'm at the point now where I need new tires. I'm pretty certain I will be getting the Goodyear Eagle GT tires for a nice balance between longevity, performance, and weathered driving conditions compared to my Pirelli's (not impressed with them)

So, I'm left with the following ideas for mods

- Catch can (no performance gains. Still debating it's necessity in the long run)
- Exhaust ( I'm liking the SOLO performance exhaust shown below, but recommendations are always welcome)

With that being said, are there any other easy mods I can do myself (amateur) that won't break the bank that will add to the performance?

EDIT I have a 2012 Camaro 2SS M6 LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
Just watched an install video of headers on a LS3 and sad to say, I don't have the resources to this myself. However, I may have to make an exception to my rules for this one.

Can someone explain exactly what the aftermarket headers are doing to give more HQ/Torque? Is it similar to the throttle body where the surface is polished thus reducing drag/backpressure?

EDIT
Derp. Google-Fu wins every time. Good article to read up on
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html
I would suggest the following given your current mods:

1. Catch-Can - 0 HP but it will keep the engine clean
2. Long tube headers with cats and a custom dyno tune 35-40 RWHP
3. Suspension - I would suggest starting with sway bars and springs. From there I would install trailing arms and toe links. The I would do sub-frame mounts and rear upper c-arm bushings.

The suspension upgrades are worth every penny IMHO. The car ends up feeling 25% smaller and they are much more responsive. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Beyond headers and a tune you should then look at suspension. Getting the car to put the power to the ground is just as important. I've beaten plenty of cars at the race track that actually had more HP than me but they didn't have a way to put it to the ground. They spun....I left.

After suspension you should consider gears as well. Also, getting lighter wheels will help with un-sprung weight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Hacker,

What are your goals with your car because this will affect what we are going to advise.

Street
Strip/ 1/4 mile
Road Course/autocross

Each one will have a different goal for your Suspension goals. Why do I bring this up? Because after you add your headers/cats, Cai and tune you are going to want to put that power to the ground.

Caverman has mentioned solid cradle mounts or inserts but I am going to disagree with him, for once. I am going to suggest solid urethane bushings like pedders or others. The inserts are not enough and the solids are too much and transmit to much NVH and can get annoying after awhile.

Toe rods, trailing arms and bushings are the minimum to eliminate wheel hop. Also, Eagle GT tires are not a real good choice. Try looking into some Nitto Invo's or, if you have the cash, Michelin Pilot super Sports.

But most of all start by doing your homework. Search the forum and see which brands get you the most gains. Some claim to do so (KN) but others prove it here by their dyno numbers. See what the guys in the V8 fast list have done to their cars. Dyno numbers are nice but nothing provides proof like the track. Check out the Jannetty CAI thread. Also research some of the folks that are giving you advice because some of us have been doing this for a long time and others have not. Some of the vendors will just try to sell you something where others will sell it to you and provide great customer service as well.

Take your time and if you have quick question feel free to stop in the V8 help desk thread.

My choice would be Halltech CAI, Kooks Headers and cats, with the Corsa Exhaust and of course a quality tune.

T.
T. Bone!!

I disagree on the sub-frame mounts but I would steer clear of replacing the diff bushings... I generally don't notice anything adverse with the sub-frame mounts but once you install diff bushings its all over..

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
888.308.6007
__________________
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.