Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
LongIslandCamaro
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island
Posts: 25
Is it bad to park on an incline?

My driveway is on a slight incline and ive heard over the years that parking on an incline is bad for various reasons. I once heard its bad for the tires and then my Uncle the other day said its bad for the flywheel.

I am going to do a quick google search but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Am i better off just parking in the street?
LongIslandCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
blk13SS
 
blk13SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 176
I dont see why it would be bad, as long as you have the ebrake engaged...
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/972215_10151639026654474_979065832_n.jpg
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
PoorMansCamaro



 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 55,212
oh boy
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
justa25thTA

 
justa25thTA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,612
you should probably turn the wheels so the are against the curb if possible. Also, engage the parking brake before you put in in park (if an automatic).
__________________
Yeah, I'll get around to it...
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
jewel25
Nov 20, 2016
 
jewel25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 36,684
I park on a incline everyday. Car hasn't complained since and she is a complainer. She is more worried about the idiots that park to close to her.
__________________
jewel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Dtrimpi87
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCamaro View Post
My driveway is on a slight incline and ive heard over the years that parking on an incline is bad for various reasons. I once heard its bad for the tires and then my Uncle the other day said its bad for the flywheel.

I am going to do a quick google search but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Am i better off just parking in the street?
Don't do it! If you care about your car never ever park on an incline! A decline is even worse! I carry a 6 foot carpenters level with me so I can ensure the ground is 100% level before I park my car on it.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
pannhead51
 
pannhead51's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS convertible
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
Don't do it! If you care about your car never ever park on an incline! A decline is even worse! I carry a 6 foot carpenters level with me so I can ensure the ground is 100% level before I park my car on it.
ha ha ha
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 1,243
I can't fathom how that could possibly hurt the tires.

I would worry more about what would happen to your car if you parked on the street. I would also stop taking car advice from your uncle.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
blk13SS
 
blk13SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
I park on a incline everyday. Car hasn't complained since and she is a complainer. She is more worried about the idiots that park to close to her.

AfknMen!
__________________
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/972215_10151639026654474_979065832_n.jpg
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
PoorMansCamaro



 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 55,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
you should probably turn the wheels so the are against the curb if possible. Also, engage the parking brake before you put in in park (if an automatic).
I'm guessing I didn't read the OP. Lol
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Gunslinger09
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 149
The only way it can hurt the car is if the parking brake isn't engauged and the car rolls into something or rolls out onto the street and gets hit.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS
Black/IOM
Gunslinger09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
atma
disco kryptonite
 
atma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champaign
Posts: 1,110
if you're gonna park on an incline, you should get square wheels. then it's not as bad for the tires
__________________
atma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Cheveey57

 
Cheveey57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,425
Not only NO but HELL NO
__________________
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Cheveey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCamaro View Post
My driveway is on a slight incline and ive heard over the years that parking on an incline is bad for various reasons. I once heard its bad for the tires and then my Uncle the other day said its bad for the flywheel.

I am going to do a quick google search but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Am i better off just parking in the street?
It doesn't affect the tires at all.

the one thing it will affect is if you happen to have an automatic transmission and you don't apply the parking brake BEFORE you put it into park, the car will roll backwards slightlyafter you put it in park applying tension to the parking pawl inside the trans. This will make it harder to shift the transmission out of park when starting the car.

Just make sure to apply the parking brake BEFORE putting the trans into park and the car won't roll backwards putting pressure on the parking pawl. This is perhaps what your Uncle was referring to.

An yes, if you are parking next to a curb, turning your front wheels so the car would roll back into the curb if something hapened is a good safety tip.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Swacer


 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,613
Parking on a hill with an auto will be an issue over time as you are putting continued stress on your parking pin within the transmission. Over time (years) you might break the pin off and then the car will....start rolling
__________________
Toy
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s

Weekday
2015 Lexus NX200T
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
JDP Sales

 
JDP Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 9,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
It doesn't affect the tires at all.

the one thing it will affect is if you happen to have an automatic transmission and you don't apply the parking brake BEFORE you put it into park, the car will roll backwards slightlyafter you put it in park applying tension to the parking pawl inside the trans. This will make it harder to shift the transmission out of park when starting the car.

Just make sure to apply the parking brake BEFORE putting the trans into park and the car won't roll backwards putting pressure on the parking pawl. This is perhaps what your Uncle was referring to.

An yes, if you are parking next to a curb, turning your front wheels so the car would roll back into the curb if something hapened is a good safety tip.
Good post.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,038
Mechanics and parts stores in San Francisco must make a killing.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.