Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Minge

Drives: 2013 2SS
Some guy copied my car

So I got a new 13 convertible IOM in color and put some slp rims on it and did some hood spears and javelin stripes, zl1 rockers and heritage grill. I parked my car inside an aircraft hangar I work at until the weather improved this spring. A person that works at the facility next door came over one day and asked to look at my car. He complimented me on my car and asked a bunch of questions and that was the end of it or so I thought.

So today I drive into work today and parked in the parking lot next to my place of employment is a 2013 IOM convertible that is a perfect clone of my car. He copied my car right down to the rims.

Would you be upset of flatered? I am a bit taken back by this and not sure how I feel.

Last edited by Minge; 07-09-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minge View Post
So I got a new 13 convertible IOM in color and put some slp rims on it and did some hood spears and javelin stripes, zl1 rockers and heritage grill. I parked my car inside an aircraft hanagar I work at until the weather improved this spring. A person that works the facility next door came over one day and asked to look at my car. He complimented me on my car and asked a bunch of questions and that was the end of it or so I thought.

So today I drive into work today and parked in the parking lot next to my place of employment is a 2013 IOM convertible that is a perfect clone of my car. He copied my car right down to the rims.

Would you be upset of flatered? I am a bit taken back by this and not sure how I feel.
I'm gonna be honest I'd be pretty pissed. All you can do now is make sure yours is faster than his!
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I'd install a lift and 32's then see if he copies you again.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
I would smash his face in for being a douche.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
what other people does not bother me....I guarantee you mine would be better detailed than his...how he takes care of it will separate the looks fast....
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
I can understand one or two mods the same. But the same colors and all mods ? That's crappy.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
KRIS10

Drives: 2010 2SS Black and Inferno Orange
I have a few copycats. I even had a guy tell me on more than one occasion that he had seen my car around and was going to do his stripes like mine, same color car, same color stripes!
Its gonna happen so I've learned to just get over it. But that guy is pretty ballsy. If it was me I would have told him how much I didn't appreciate it.
Sent using Tapatalk from my Galaxy III ♥
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Minge

Drives: 2013 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
what other people does not bother me....I guarantee you mine would be better detailed than his...how he takes care of it will separate the looks fast....
I have chip guarded with xpel most of the car and used adams polishes glaze and wax. My car will never see rain and will be pristine. No contest here, I will win on that front hands down.
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
There was a thread earlier today that touched on this topic, he sold his car

I'd ask him why did he do it, just be upfront with him and see what's what
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Swap license tags with him, then put on a disguise and go rob a bank, make sure they see the tag number then go back and swap tags back. You win, you keep the money and he goes to jail......JK..

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
go up to him and give him your autograph
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
I'd take it as a compliment! It seems like you detailed your car exactly how he thought it should look! I bet if you talked to him, he'd say how much he loved the way your car looked. (Now if he starts talking trash... That's a whole 'nother story.)

P.s. post pics of your car!!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
So I got a new 13 convertible IOM in color and put some slp rims on it and did some hood spears and javelin stripes, zl1 rockers and heritage grill. I parked my car inside an aircraft hangar I work at until the weather improved this spring. A person that works at the facility next door came over one day and asked to look at my car. He complimented me on my car and asked a bunch of questions and that was the end of it or so I thought.

Take it as a compliment, Dude. No reason to be upset about something like this. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so be proud of your design and that someone wants to mimic the result.

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
He's stalking you. Kill or be killed... LOL !!!
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
He loved your car so much he wanted one for himself...

I mean, I get your being off put by it... one of my best friends has a summit white 2LT with inferno stripes, and when my dealer called me with one identical, but in an SS, I told him I couldn't be that guy... but what can you really do? No point in being upset about it- life's too short for petty stuff like that.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
Forcer

Drives: 2010 2SS Custom Camaro.
Ummm, i would find it bittersweet.. ive had a guy come to me before that did this to his car, and wanted to know what could be done... so i told him, buy some plastidip, and spray your car. Then if he gets his car painted, peel it off.. haha
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: yummy
GM copies mine all the time. I just saw one just like mine on the lot the other day. Bastards! LOL

Seriously though, that is kind of weird to copy it part for part.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #18
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I would be kind of flattered but annoyed at the same time. I did the mods to my car to my taste and I really wouldn't want someone copying it. I did have a guy offer to buy my car last fall because he liked everything I had done to it. He wasn't BS'in either, he offered me blue book PLUS the cost of what I paid for every mod. I decided that I have my car like I want it and I don't want to just "give" it to someone already modded to my taste.

He has since emailed me several times asking me specific questions on my wheels, decals, lighting, etc but he lives in Cleveland which is over 100 miles from where I live which is a far enough buffer. One side of me doesn't want him to copy my car, but the other side of me is I really like to help people out.

Sorry this really isn't an answer to your question.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
JR 1

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
It's kind of creepy to copy to that level of detail, but take it as a compliment.

Some people just can't create so they have to copy.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: '11 1SS/RS, '13 Cruze
I'd be pissed. I had a camaro here in town that tried to copy me. I would do something and the next week, boom they did it too!! No one could tell our cars apart and it really made me So I went online and ordered a few custom pieces and they finally stopped. Saw it the other day and it looks very boring compared to mine now.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
There was a guy in Lemoore where I was last stationed that did copied the look of mine but not the exact same parts. He went the cheep route so it looks shitty up close. But it was similar to the point where people would say that they saw me driving somewhere when It wasn't me.

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery....but it still irritated me. Do your own thing man! Stop jackin my swag hahaha
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Are you done modding? If you are only at a stage, no worries...start work on the next set of mods to separate your car once again...and don't let him see them...lol
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
One or two mods is ok. I find things I like on numerous cars and try to find a combination that is unique to me. I want my car to stand out from the others. Whoever he is obviously has no imagination and can't think of his own modifications. Still - it is partially a compliment, yours must be well done.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:

Obviously, he wants to have your babies. I'd get an order of protection; possibly a bodyguard.

way too creepy. yikes
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
Pics side-by-side or it never happened.