Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2010 Synergy Special Edition
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Best way to get wheels painted?

So I'm a terrible person, I ended up curbing one of my 19" silver rims pretty bad. Fortunately, I have an identical set for my winter tires that I can swap out so I don't have to look at it everyday.

But I would like to know, how does one go about getting wheels painted anyway? I've heard powder-coating is best, but what's the real difference between just a good paint job and powder-coating? Price-wise and quality wise? Are my silver factory wheels powder-coated or no? And finally, what does a typical 4 wheel paint job run? How much would it be do you think to have some of the curb rash fixed at the same time?

Also, I'm curious about getting them chromed? How much does that generally cost?

Or, would it just end up making more sense to get a whole new set of nice rims/tires?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Mike-D
HTFU

Drives: 2SS/RS
check out plasti-dip. There is a ton a threads on here about guys plasti-dipping there wheels and I think it looks great.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
terry_b

I plan to plasti-dip the winter set and see what it looks like, but I'm really looking at a permanent paint-job. I'd like to go with a really dark, warm metallic grey color for the wheels.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
I like gloss wheels - Plastidip has it's place, I use it a lot, but not on a wheel (my opin) takes all the pop out of the car. If I was painting a wheel it would be at a body shop with gloss Dupont Imron paint - indestructible paint...powdercoat chips long term and is hard to repair...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 2LT
I'll bite, I just recently had my 19" rims powder coated. There was nothing wrong with my rims, but I wanted to change the color to black. Powder coating is suppose to be stronger, but honestly I have no idea which will hold up better. I do know the powder coater I went to does a lot of car parts, motorcycle engines and frames, industrial parts, etc. so it should hold up well.

When I got my tires mounted, the dealership said they took a great deal of time to make sure they don't scratch them, so that was nice. I would recommend taking it somewhere that will use the same level of care, just in case.

Anyways, it was $99 a rim. He prices it based on rim diameter, so $396 all together to strip them and powder coat them. The nicest part about powder coating is it doesn't have to set or cure. Once it's out of the oven and cooled off, it's good to go. The downside about powder coating is you can't powder coat plastic, so I had to have my center caps done separately. I ordered them from Lupe and they came out fantastic. Here's a picture.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
terry_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I'll bite, I just recently had my 19" rims powder coated. There was nothing wrong with my rims, but I wanted to change the color to black. Powder coating is suppose to be stronger, but honestly I have no idea which will hold up better. I do know the powder coater I went to does a lot of car parts, motorcycle engines and frames, industrial parts, etc. so it should hold up well.

When I got my tires mounted, the dealership said they took a great deal of time to make sure they don't scratch them, so that was nice. I would recommend taking it somewhere that will use the same level of care, just in case.

Anyways, it was $99 a rim. He prices it based on rim diameter, so $396 all together to strip them and powder coat them. The nicest part about powder coating is it doesn't have to set or cure. Once it's out of the oven and cooled off, it's good to go. The downside about powder coating is you can't powder coat plastic, so I had to have my center caps done separately. I ordered them from Lupe and they came out fantastic. Here's a picture.

Those do look pretty good man, is powder-coating always a matte finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I like gloss wheels - Plastidip has it's place, I use it a lot, but not on a wheel (my opin) takes all the pop out of the car. If I was painting a wheel it would be at a body shop with gloss Dupont Imron paint - indestructible paint...powdercoat chips long term and is hard to repair...
What wheels do you have Glen? I've seen 'em a few times and I really dig the style!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Vossen CV3 - machined face - black barrel
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro 2LT
Thanks! Nope, powder coating can be done in almost any color and gloss. It's simply a dry paint instead of a wet paint. The finish I went for is called silk satin black, it has a little more gloss than matte black.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
Veyronnn

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary
3 cans of PlasticDip $21.00 and 2 hours.
If I rub a curb I just touch them up
Attached Images

Veyronnn is offline   Reply With Quote