Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Pope Designs
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Rally Yellow
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 347
Question about clear bra??

So I have decided to get the self healing clear bra installed. My question is what parts of the car side do I need to protect the rock chips from the front tires? My installer said the gill area and right behind the front tires. I was thinking the entire door needed covering??

Thanks
B
Pope Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 5,286
When I had mine installed on my 2011, the local installer reccomended the front facia, the mirrors, and the gills as those being the areas most hit by stones, etc.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.
 
Drives: My wifey ;P
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,114
Mine covered the whole front end and like a little more than 1/4 of the hood and also the side mirrors. To protect the gill area I recently bought the rpi stealth mud guards and it really helps.
I love my clear bra the only con is that you have to clean the edges after detailing or waxing due to the residue collecting on it but it's all good
__________________
"From ZERO to a Tire-Burning HERO!"

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
RavenZL1
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 156
Besides the entire front end and full hood I had the front fenders completely covered, the pillars, mirrors, and the rear quarter panels up past the gills.
__________________
RavenZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS
 
MichiganSRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 210
For the camaro from ones I have done, I would recommend:

-Front fascia
-Full hood
-Partial fender
-Rear gills
-Mirrors
-Rockers

Last of all please go to a certified installer, I know there are several in NC around you for 3M.
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 3,077
I had the entire front bumper area, pillars, mirrors, door handles, area below the doors and the gills. I have 17,000 miles and not a rock chip anywhere. There are several threads on here for different rock guards also.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
pjm333
 
pjm333's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 60
I am interested in getting the clear bra for my ZL1, which one of the 4 choices below do I need ? Thanks !

3M™ Automotive Window Film
Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film
Scotchgard™ Vehicle Protection Package
VentureShield™ Paint Protection Film
pjm333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS
 
MichiganSRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm333 View Post
I am interested in getting the clear bra for my ZL1, which one of the 4 choices below do I need ? Thanks !

3M™ Automotive Window Film
Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film
Scotchgard™ Vehicle Protection Package
VentureShield™ Paint Protection Film

Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film

Authorized installers only.
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
joeybsyc

 
joeybsyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,893
I think the full hood and fenders, roof, etc. is overkill... I've never seen the hood get chipped any farther than a bit past the leading edge, and even that's uncommon. Most chips happen right on the front bumper and upper header area above the grill...the (vertical surfaces) and of course the rear 1/4 panel gill area. Really not going to hurt anything to cover every inch of your car with it for protection, and yes you can get a chip anywhere... but the most important parts are the forward facing surfaces....I have the upper and lower front bumper and mirrors covered and have not had a chip on any unprotected areas yet with almost 10,000 miles of PA roads.
__________________
joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS
 
MichiganSRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
I think the full hood and fenders, roof, etc. is overkill... I've never seen the hood get chipped any farther than a bit past the leading edge, and even that's uncommon. Most chips happen right on the front bumper and upper header area above the grill...the (vertical surfaces) and of course the rear 1/4 panel gill area. Really not going to hurt anything to cover every inch of your car with it for protection, and yes you can get a chip anywhere... but the most important parts are the forward facing surfaces....I have the upper and lower front bumper and mirrors covered and have not had a chip on any unprotected areas yet with almost 10,000 miles of PA roads.
It really comes down the protection you want and what you want to be left with after you take the protection off. In most cases if you are already doing front bumper/partial fenders/mirrors/grills an installer will usually cut you a deal to do the entire hood (at least I do). IMO that line across the hood looks horrible across the hood from the leading edge and catches things such as polish and wax which, if not taken care of properly, can diminish the life of the film. If properly installed you should hardly be able to tell the entire hood is wrapped, unless you stare and touch it. All I can say is, why skimp when you know for hardly any more your entire hood is covered and you will have protection say something or someone sit on your hood (I have seen it). Fully understand where you are coming from though as 90% of the time what you had done would be sufficient and was what I used to recommend. Just make when you guys find someone to do it that they are certified cause that in itself could save you from hassle, if not properly installed a partial hood can leave to a nice distinct line across is when you go to take it off, one of which can not be fixed by polishing but only repainting.
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
JFWJR179
 
JFWJR179's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible M6
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 334
I had Xpel Ultimate installed on mine.

front end fascia, bumper, headlights
entire hood, including exposed weave CF "mohawk"
both entire front fenders (debadged)
both rear view mirrors
both door cups
both gills
both lower rear quarters behind rear wheels

looks great, virtually invisible, can be waxed
JFWJR179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Pope Designs
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Rally Yellow
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 347
What colors show the lines the least? I have yellow.
Pope Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Designs View Post
What colors show the lines the least? I have yellow.
One of the tricks is to have the clear bra applied and end at the various body seams where the edge will not be noticable at all. A good installer will do this.

the only pace that didn't work out perfectly on mine was the gill area because there is no convenient horizontal body line to end it at.

As fas as the line being noticable, I'd say black or another dark color would be the worst since any polish/wax you apply will have a tendancy to be seen at that edge.

yellow being such a lighter color, you should be fine.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
RavenZL1
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stafford, VA
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganSRT View Post
It really comes down the protection you want and what you want to be left with after you take the protection off. In most cases if you are already doing front bumper/partial fenders/mirrors/grills an installer will usually cut you a deal to do the entire hood (at least I do). IMO that line across the hood looks horrible across the hood from the leading edge and catches things such as polish and wax which, if not taken care of properly, can diminish the life of the film. If properly installed you should hardly be able to tell the entire hood is wrapped, unless you stare and touch it. All I can say is, why skimp when you know for hardly any more your entire hood is covered and you will have protection say something or someone sit on your hood (I have seen it). Fully understand where you are coming from though as 90% of the time what you had done would be sufficient and was what I used to recommend. Just make when you guys find someone to do it that they are certified cause that in itself could save you from hassle, if not properly installed a partial hood can leave to a nice distinct line across is when you go to take it off, one of which can not be fixed by polishing but only repainting.
Exactly!!!
__________________
RavenZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.