Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 4,347
I am by no means an educated authority on SCCA racing or race cars in general, but here's one small tidbit to keep in mind......

I was talking to the "FbodFather" in Sturgis a few weeks ago, and I told him to tell the boys back at GM they did a great job with the new Z/28, and that I was thoroughly impressed. His reply was, "We're not done with it yet"!!!!

So....don't get all bent out of shape over SCCA race classes just yet. Just because we've all seen the prototype doesn't mean that is exactly what will be produced next Spring.
blazzin1 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #30
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,981
He has many valid points. Chevy is marketing this car as a track ready purpose built car, yet it is unable to compete in any meaningful sanctioned events. The other interesting info I got out of this post is that it seems that the 1LE is not even competitive with the standard 5.0 GT never mind the Boss in the sanctioned SCCA events. There are 7-mustangs ranked above the 1LE some base GTs. Do the 1LE drivers competing not know how to drive? Regardless GM should have made certain that the Z/28 would be able to compete in these events and not just lightning lap articles.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
www.MorenoMotorsports.com
 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,163
STRAIGHT FROM THE PRESS RELEASE FROM 3/27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM official
While the new Camaro Z/28 is not intended to compete in a specific race series, it is solely focused on track capability. In initial testing, the Camaro Z/28 is three seconds faster per lap than the Camaro ZL1.

...


The new 2014 Camaro line will arrive at Chevrolet dealers later in 2013. The Camaro Z/28 is expected to be appearing at track events across the United States in spring 2014.
The car is not meant for any organized racing, and GM acknowledges that. It is a HPDE enthusiast car. "track ready" not "SCCA ready"
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 736
Suits me perfect!!!

And i think Justin just flushed thepill down the proverbial crapper forever.
backtotintops is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
STRAIGHT FROM THE PRESS RELEASE FROM 3/27



The car is not meant for any organized racing, and GM acknowledges that. It is a HPDE enthusiast car. "track ready" not "SCCA ready"
I think a lot of people, myself included forgot about that statement.
shaffe is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #34
chevy 3
NEcamaro5
 
chevy 3's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 4,156
This guy needs a life.
chevy 3 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I will admit I did not word my post well at all. Still early need more coffee!

When I said both sides, what I should have said was this

I understand that this car is not a race car, and that people are going to be able to track it and do very well with it. It is a very track capable street car

The "other side" would be I can understand how some people may be upset/disappointed that with how track focused this car is, and how it follows the heritage of the 67-69 Z/28s that it as it sits wasnt really built to race in a specific series, but GM also stated that when the released the car. Maybe Im still not wording that right, lol. but I think it made sense as to what I should have said haha.
Let me clarify I am not personally attacking you, simply making my points with gusto and emotion

Drag and Tracking have nothing in common other than a car is used for both sports. As has been posted here ad infinitum, ad nauseum, trackers "get it" and non-trackers are trying to make arguments that make no sense

The Z/28 is a fantastic package for its intended purpose. If people will stop interpreting it as something it is not nor was ever meant to be, we can generate more pixels about its tasty goodness and lose the moronic worry over it's "legality" <face palm>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
STRAIGHT FROM THE PRESS RELEASE FROM 3/27

The car is not meant for any organized racing, and GM acknowledges that. It is a HPDE enthusiast car. "track ready" not "SCCA ready"
Thank you Sir. That is the kind of homework I can respect and relate to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Suits me perfect!!!

And i think Justin just flushed thepill down the proverbial crapper forever.
Zfatuated is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,656
Actually this thread (didn't bother reading the Pill's comments) has been pretty informative for me...The true sanctioned, legal, SCAA, whatever, etc. type of hard core racing is total pie-in-the sky for me....

"Track Events" sound more appealing and do-able anyways...lol....And if the Z/28 is made for that purpose and not out of place for the type of build that it is going to be, then all the better....just sayin'.....
90503 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #37
Rock36
I just like V8s
 
Rock36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Actually this thread (didn't bother reading the Pill's comments) has been pretty informative for me...The true sanctioned, legal, SCAA, whatever, etc. type of hard core racing is total pie-in-the sky for me....
"Track Events" sound more appealing and do-able anyways...lol....And if the Z/28 is made for that purpose and not out of place for the type of build that it is going to be, then all the better....just sayin'.....
__________________
"Anyone know who sells the driver mods?"

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #38
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Huh? I ran a street car in SCCA T1 for many years. Kept plates on it too.
Understood. I was thinking GrandAm/ALMS because that is what the 302S/R are designed to fit within the rules of essentially out of the box. That kind of car never was street legal nor can it ever be made so. A "pure and intended" race car if you will.

OP's argument was based on a race car fitting certain rules.
Zfatuated is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #39
www.MorenoMotorsports.com
 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
He has many valid points. Chevy is marketing this car as a track ready purpose built car, yet it is unable to compete in any meaningful sanctioned events. The other interesting info I got out of this post is that it seems that the 1LE is not even competitive with the standard 5.0 GT never mind the Boss in the sanctioned SCCA events. There are 7-mustangs ranked above the 1LE some base GTs. Do the 1LE drivers competing not know how to drive? Regardless GM should have made certain that the Z/28 would be able to compete in these events and not just lightning lap articles.
those are not "base GT's"

here is the list thepill posted...



here is the camaro from that list



and a couple SCCA mustangs





which reminds me... this guy has been saying all boss 302's come from the factory built around the rulebook. dont the street 302's come with 19" wheels? which violate the 18" max wheel diameter rule that he posted?

thePill's posts are strangely funny i'll admit... I LOL'd at his chops with the joker in them.

Last edited by www.MorenoMotorsports.com; 07-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Let me clarify I am not personally attacking you, simply making my points with gusto and emotion

Drag and Tracking have nothing in common other than a car is used for both sports. As has been posted here ad infinitum, ad nauseum, trackers "get it" and non-trackers are trying to make arguments that make no sense

The Z/28 is a fantastic package for its intended purpose. If people will stop interpreting it as something it is not nor was ever meant to be, we can generate more pixels about its tasty goodness and lose the moronic worry over it's "legality" <face palm>



Thank you Sir. That is the kind of homework I can respect and relate to.



Got ya
shaffe is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #41
Witt
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Witt's Avatar
 
Drives: Locomotives
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aliquippa PA
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
which reminds me... this guy has been saying all boss 302's come from the factory built around the rulebook. dont the street 302's come with 19" wheels? which violate the 18" max wheel diameter rule that he posted?
T1 permits 19x13 and 19x11 inch wheels which is the class the Boss runs in. The Z/28 brakes prohibit the car from competing in T1.
__________________
Certified Internet Master Mechanic
Witt is offline  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
www.MorenoMotorsports.com
 
www.MorenoMotorsports.com's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt View Post
T1 permits 19x13 and 19x11 inch wheels which is the class the Boss runs in. The Z/28 brakes prohibit the car from competing in T1.
ah. thanks.
www.MorenoMotorsports.com is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.