Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Forsberg112
 
Forsberg112's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SLP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 53
Night Fury Cam

I wanted to get a few different opinions on the Night Fury Cam. It sounds amazing and the HP gains are great, but I'm curious as to the drive ability for people who have had it for a while. It is always nice to get the cam and it is ok to drive for a while (been there in general), but how about long term? Too loud, too much bucking, etc? I appreciate the opinions, I have a lot of mods ready to go on the car and am ready to pull the trigger on a cam as well and get the tune all at the same time.
__________________
2002 Camaro SS SLP
1973 Corvette L48 - Numbers Matching
2014 Z71 Silverado
1966 Jaguar E-Type

Sold -2013 SS/RS M6
Forsberg112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
mp51998

 
mp51998's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: S. Texas
Posts: 1,835
DO IT!!! Love mine. Wife loves hers. Neighbor loves hers. Shawn and Nick are great guys and have excellent customer service. Can't go wrong with Lethal. They will be at CamaroFest in a couple of weeks. My car and several others will be there as well if you want a ride or just hear it.
mp51998 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
lsuguy
 
lsuguy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 354
Install it along with the 3.91s in your signature. It will drive like stock except when you get on the skinny pedal.
lsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
FurySS
Furious Shine
 
FurySS's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed & Slammed Pace Car
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Well I have an A6 and had to put a 3200 stall in, so I will say except cruising on the highway mine isn't much like stock. . For the mods I had done, my #'s also came in lower than I expected. I am hoping Shawn can look at it while he is here for the Fest. I do love the sound of the cam!

Last edited by FurySS; 07-12-2013 at 10:19 AM.
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
Well I have an A6 and had to put a 3200 stall in, so I will say except cruising on the highway mine drives nothing like stock. Mine was installed and tuned by Mike Norris and I periodically have issues with the idle dropping down to 250 then shooting back up to 800-900 (still trying to tweak it). For the mods I had done, my #'s also came in lower than I expected. I am hoping Shawn can look at it while he is here for the Fest. I do love the sound of the cam!
That's a tune issue, not the cam. I have an L99 and if I did the conversion to LS3 i'd get it if Id stay vvt id get Rhino79's biggest cam and a 3600 stall FTW!
__________________
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen
 
376LS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg112 View Post
I wanted to get a few different opinions on the Night Fury Cam. It sounds amazing and the HP gains are great, but I'm curious as to the drive ability for people who have had it for a while. It is always nice to get the cam and it is ok to drive for a while (been there in general), but how about long term? Too loud, too much bucking, etc? I appreciate the opinions, I have a lot of mods ready to go on the car and am ready to pull the trigger on a cam as well and get the tune all at the same time.
The cam will buck so be prepared for that. If you change the way you drive youll never notice it. I let the engine slow my car down to save some brake pad so Im more susceptible to the bucking than others may be. It only gets bad under 1400rpm. Cruising a parking lot requires more clutch work or you look like a tard going through the aisles. If I were to it over again, Id go smaller since this is a daily driver. It all depends on what you consider "driveable." Depending on your typical drive to work, your gas mileage will go down. When I lived in TX and drove 30 miles one way to work on the hiway, I averaged 16.8mpg. Now that I live in AZ and see no hiway since I live 6 miles from work, Im only averaging 11.4mpg. Gotta pay to play! Good luck!
__________________
2010 Camaro SS LS3 - Built LS3
376LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
FurySS
Furious Shine
 
FurySS's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed & Slammed Pace Car
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
That's a tune issue, not the cam. I have an L99 and if I did the conversion to LS3 i'd get it if Id stay vvt id get Rhino79's biggest cam and a 3600 stall FTW!
Oh I completely agree litle88 - nothing wrong with the cam. Just frustrating when you don't see the results you were hoping for. Mike normally puts in a smaller cam (his own grind). I highly respect his knowledge and reputation, just having trouble getting it dialed in. Best I can figure is Shawn does something a bit different in the tune. I was at 460/414 (Night Fury, FAST, Stage 1 heads, UD pulley, Kooks Stepped Headers and Cats, Vigilante 3200). Shawn recommended pulling the FAST off to see if it was losing power. Put stock intake back on and dyno'd 460/412, so the FAST was not doing much. I am hoping to get a ported intake from Shawn to put on.

Last edited by FurySS; 07-11-2013 at 10:48 PM.
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
Oh I completely agree litle88 - nothing wrong with the cam. Just frustrating when you don't see the results you were hoping for. Mike normally puts in a smaller cam (his own grind). I highly respect his knowledge and reputation, just having trouble getting it dialed in. Best I can figure is Shawn does something a bit different in the tune. I was at 460/415 (Night Fury, FAST, Stage 1 heads, UD pulley, Kooks Stepped Headers and Cats, Vigilante 3200). Shawn recommended pulling the FAST off to see if it was losing power. Put stock intake back on and dyno'd 460/412, so the FAST was not doing much. I am hoping to get a ported intake from Shawn to put on.
wow 460 thru a stalled Auto is no PUNK bud! But im sure the guys at Lethal will help you if they can. Were you using a Nw102 Tb? if not I bet you would of gained some! IMHO

Keep me posted let me know what happens with your tune.
__________________
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Forsberg112
 
Forsberg112's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SLP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 53
Thanks all, I love the sound and power as I stated, so I will just pull the trigger. I can work through the high rpm issues during slow drive so that should not be an issue.
__________________
2002 Camaro SS SLP
1973 Corvette L48 - Numbers Matching
2014 Z71 Silverado
1966 Jaguar E-Type

Sold -2013 SS/RS M6
Forsberg112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
FurySS
Furious Shine
 
FurySS's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed & Slammed Pace Car
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
wow 460 thru a stalled Auto is no PUNK bud! But im sure the guys at Lethal will help you if they can. Were you using a Nw102 Tb? if not I bet you would of gained some! IMHO

Keep me posted let me know what happens with your tune.
Will do! I'm a semi lurker, I have been watching posts and idle videos for over 6mos knowing Night Fury was what I had to have! Certainly 460 is nothing to sneeze at considering it was 345 with just the CAI & Catback. That is an awesome gain for N/A no question about it. I was thinking maybe I would see 480hp, but the TQ reading lower is what puzzled me and Shawn. I know that no 2 dynos are alike and the stall could be affecting the numbers I suppose. I have ZERO regrets on my cam choice, and Shawn has even talked to Mike on the phone for me. Mike has made some adjustments for me, but I think I'm at the point where I need Shawn's expertise as he has more experience with this cam.

Here are my dynos, the first one is before/after (with the FAST). The 2nd one is with FAST vs. Stock Intake.
Attached Images
  
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Slickcas
 
Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Paris. ILL
Posts: 308
114 rwhp is a huge jump. Also 460 rwhp with your A6 is like 480-490 if it was a M6. I may be wrong but did not think that cam would do much over that. Taking in to account you started at 345rwhp with. CAI.
Please keep us updated. I know Mike Norris is very good with the LS motors.

Last edited by Slickcas; 07-12-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: iPhone lol
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Rhino79



 
Rhino79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 2,529
This cam is no different to tune than any other one, 460 is about right for an auto car depending on the dyno. Everyone's dyno is going vary some.
__________________
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
JEFF75645

 
Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gilmer, TX
Posts: 1,342
460 in a stalled A6 can be quite fun. But bad for tires though.
__________________
Gone But Not Forgotten
JEFF75645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
FurySS
Furious Shine
 
FurySS's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed & Slammed Pace Car
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcas View Post
114 rwhp is a huge jump. Also 460 rwhp with your A6 is like 480-490 if it was a M6. I may be wrong but did not think that cam would do much over that. Taking in to account you started at 345rwhp with. CAI.
Please keep us updated. I know Mike Norris is very good with the LS motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
This cam is no different to tune than any other one, 460 is about right for an auto car depending on the dyno. Everyone's dyno is going vary some.
Yeah, I think Shawn said with heads they have seen up to 480 with A6, but 460 is definitely in the ballpark. It was the torque he felt was off a bit as they normally see at least 430. If I recall Mike has it around 28-29* timing and 12.5-13 A/F. It was surging and bucking more in the 1200-1500 range while cruising but Mike adjusted the trans and that is better. Really the only issue I am having right now is sitting at a stoplight the idle will just drop from 900 to 250, catch itself and shoot back up. Doesn't do it all the time, but freaks me out thinking it might die lol. But I am pretty sure between Mike & Shawn that will get worked out

Shawn said he would port a stock intake for me and I could maybe see 5-10hp more, so since I sold the FAST I will go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
460 in a stalled A6 can be quite fun. But bad for tires though.
I am still getting used to driving with the stall for sure

Last edited by FurySS; 07-12-2013 at 10:24 AM.
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.