Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
vinyl wrapping versus plasti dipping

which do you guys think would be better for a more custom look? im talking about the whole car not just the hood or wheels. dipping is cheaper but ive heard horror stories, vinyl wrapping is more than double the price but might be less risky to do harm to the paint. paint jobs ar to much money to change up the look of the car. thoughts? i want to do a flat black or gun metal but i dont know which option would be better
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
which do you guys think would be better for a more custom look? im talking about the whole car not just the hood or wheels. dipping is cheaper but ive heard horror stories, vinyl wrapping is more than double the price but might be less risky to do harm to the paint. paint jobs ar to much money to change up the look of the car. thoughts? i want to do a flat black or gun metal but i dont know which option would be better
Not trying to thread jack but what horror stories have you heard about plastidip!?

Thank you

Colin Gordon
Old 07-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
I do both plastidip and vinyl wraping. PD dries to a matte black finish that is perfect for blacking out things like tail light bezels and lower trim, insignias, etc. It peels off, no horror stories in the 3 years I've used it on cars.

I use vinyl on the interior where i want a nicer finished look. As you can get it in far more finishes, it lends itself to a more high line look.

PD for things like this:

Vinyl Carbon fiber for things like this:

Last edited by Glen e; 07-11-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
SSmokinSS
21 smiles per gallon

Drives: 11SS/RS-14Malibu
if you are doing the whole car, PD is WAAAYYYYY cheaper. I am doing my car in a vinyl wrap, but I have a buddy that is doing it for next to nothing. No way I'd pay 3 large for a huge sticker...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
If you think metallic black is hard to keep clean... Matte Black is going to be a pain in the ass with upkeep! I don't think I would do either of those, but if you are set on the idea, I would use Vinyl. It will last longer, and you won't have to worry about uneven spots. Think about the cons first though! Plastidip on the whole car would just make it look cheap I think.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Quote:
Leave it the way it is

Have a couple beers and forget about the all thing
Your car color is as good as it comes

Sure that in a few minutes all hell will go nuts , color wise , but I'm sticking with my guns !
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by colingordon View Post
Not trying to thread jack but what horror stories have you heard about plastidip!?

Thank you

Colin Gordon
well to name a few.. (this only applies if your doing an entire vehicle)
bad over spray if u dont tape things off very securely and than u have a mess to fix

it not peeling off! ive read that if you dont make a thick enough coat good luck getting the stuff to peal off

not coating it evenly and than the car looks uneven and weird/poorly done

now vinyl wrapping ive heard that it can bubble, and if u use cheap vinyl it will rip the clear coat right off the car when you go to remove it. but i know many people who have wrapped there cars with great success and no issues at all
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
If you think metallic black is hard to keep clean... Matte Black is going to be a pain in the ass with upkeep! I don't think I would do either of those, but if you are set on the idea, I would use Vinyl. It will last longer, and you won't have to worry about uneven spots. Think about the cons first though! Plastidip on the whole car would just make it look cheap I think.
yeah but were not talking matte black paint its vinyl... u clean it will rubbing alcohol and doesnt get as dirty as easy as paint
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmokinSS View Post
if you are doing the whole car, PD is WAAAYYYYY cheaper. I am doing my car in a vinyl wrap, but I have a buddy that is doing it for next to nothing. No way I'd pay 3 large for a huge sticker...
i got a quote for 2,500 for the whole car in vinyl any color i want.. yeah its a lot but painting the car would be like 10 grand lol and PDing the whole car the more i look into it sounds like a bad idea. it would be less than half the price for PD probably around 800-1k for the whole car but i dont want any issues when/if i want to take off the stuff.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
yeah but were not talking matte black paint its vinyl... u clean it will rubbing alcohol and doesnt get as dirty as easy as paint
Not sure I understand the "Not get as dirty as paint". Road film, dust, bird dropping, sap, acid rain, road spay doesn't magically stick to wrap?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Expensive car wash...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
Expensive car wash...
or u can use a non silicone non wax quick detailer to wipe her down and your good to go, its not that expensive
Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Not sure I understand the "Not get as dirty as paint". Road film, dust, bird dropping, sap, acid rain, road spay doesn't magically stick to wrap?
i have friends who have their entire cars wrapped and i live on long island the roads here suck and there is sh*t all over the place and they never complain about getting the car cleaned.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
i have friends who have their entire cars wrapped and i live on long island the roads here suck and there is sh*t all over the place and they never complain about getting the car cleaned.
it sounds like you have your mind made up.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
well to name a few.. (this only applies if your doing an entire vehicle)
bad over spray if u dont tape things off very securely and than u have a mess to fix
Overspray can be wiped off with a microfiber, just do it right the first time.
it not peeling off! ive read that if you dont make a thick enough coat good luck getting the stuff to peal off
It can be taken off no matter what it will just be harder. But I guarantee you it will be easier to remove than vinyl. Plus they sell a spray now that will remove it if you make this mistake.
not coating it evenly and than the car looks uneven and weird/poorly done
Then do it right? You can pay a professional installer but I don't think it's very hard if you watch the videos.
now vinyl wrapping ive heard that it can bubble, and if u use cheap vinyl it will rip the clear coat right off the car when you go to remove it. but i know many people who have wrapped there cars with great success and no issues at all
All of those problems are temporary and they stem from doing it improperly. That's like saying a con of vinyl wrapping is that you could have wrinkles and tears in it when that's obviously going to be from poor installation.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Sounds like your mind is pretty well made up to vinyl-wrap. If it's going to be matt, I'd go PD without question. Personally, if I wanted to change the entire exterior color of my car (which I did - had a black 1LT)... I'd just trade it in for the color I wanted (which I did - now have a SIM 1SS). No method of cover-up will look as good as it does now.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
BLACKssMiami

Drives: 2ssrs
PlastiDip is definitely the way to go, but only if you have someone professional to do it. Check out dip your car on youtube and check out their website. The guy does an amazing job and shows you how to do it. Good luck!
BLACKssMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
The MOAC

Drives: Victory Red 2010 Camaro LS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307051

For only $400 I'm extremely satisfied.
The MOAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Sounds like your mind is pretty well made up to vinyl-wrap. If it's going to be matt, I'd go PD without question. Personally, if I wanted to change the entire exterior color of my car (which I did - had a black 1LT)... I'd just trade it in for the color I wanted (which I did - now have a SIM 1SS). No method of cover-up will look as good as it does now.
my mind isnt made up i just want more input on the PD thats all. because cheaper isnt always better and u get what u pay for 98% of the time. and i just got the car lol it has 1,200 miles on it im not trading it in thats not cost effective at all.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MOAC View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307051

For only $400 I'm extremely satisfied.
okay thats looks f-ing awesome!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
Ive had mine a year. I have no stains. Everything always washes off. Even the black crap that builds that the tires slings. It always comes off. Mine is a DD and i park it outside.

The key is to use good vinyl. I recommend 3M. 3M vinyl comes with an overlaminate already on it. Its like a clear coat for the vinyl. Over years that overlaminate will break down then the vinyl will break down. Its warrantied for 7 years I believe for outside use. Also the prep is important to make the vinyl stick properly over a long period of time. 3M's Primer 94 for all the edges or any deep or large curves will help the vinyl stick.
see thats what i mean vinyl works great it just needs to be good stuff done by a good place. the same can be said for PD but idk it just seems more risky.