Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #76
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
The cost of the car doesn't depend on what's in it or what's not. It's the car itself. A lot of R&D has gone into this vehicle. Just because it doesn't have AC or wires for the fog lights doesn't mean this car isn't gonna pull a premium price. It's not like they said "we'll we can subtract the cost of the AC and speakers from the cost of the vehicle".

Personally I think if this car sells for under 70k it's a hell of a deal!
How is it a hell of a deal? That's Z06 territory. I would rather have the lighter vette than the camaro at the same price point. Unless the Z/28 can beat a Z06, it's not worth that kind of money.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #77
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Which Z06? In what performance metric? 1/4-mile, or slalom-road course?

Base...or Z06/Z07?

And a Z06/Z07 is $90K+...

Unless you're interested in the Ultimate-to-Date cornering-capable OEM-equipped Gen-5 Camaro aka Z/28, this car at ANY price is NOT for you...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #78
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
You answered your own question.
I guess you have a point, but I thought the post I was replying to was discussing the performance of the car at this point...

As a teacher, I am way below average in the ability to buy stuff category so you can't use me to make the argument
HeadonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #79
Falundir

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
And a Z06/Z07 is $90K+...
A few comments on this. IMHO you can't view MSRP on the C6 Z06 as the comparable price as it is very easy to get a Carbon Edition Z06 for low 60s practically new. In this note a Z06 is cheaper.

HOWEVER

The Z06 platform was developed in 04 vs the Z28, which 'may' be considered newer. The reason for the 'may' is the zeta platform is dated, however with the changes that GM is making to accommodate the Z28 we cannot make a direct comparison until after the Z28 has been released and tested.

All in all, IMHO, if GM fails to have the Z28 outperform the older C6 Z06 (production ceased), then they will have failed in their vision of the Z28.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #80
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
i get to be the popcorn guy!

Last edited by RonnieG; 07-16-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: titled
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #81
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Maybe the ugly green color made everything worse on that new C7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
Anything that color would be hideous.
Maybe that green color looks bad in your opinion. But the '67 was the most beautiful Corvette ever made (all the mid-years are spectacular) and the most popular color that year was a very similar color called Goodwood Green.

That green may not be as popular on the new C7 because tastes have changed. Many people love black sporty cars nowadays, and black was the least popular color choice (fewest made) for '67 Corvettes.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #82
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
A few comments on this. IMHO you can't view MSRP on the C6 Z06 as the comparable price as it is very easy to get a Carbon Edition Z06 for low 60s practically new. In this note a Z06 is cheaper.

HOWEVER

The Z06 platform was developed in 04 vs the Z28, which 'may' be considered newer. The reason for the 'may' is the zeta platform is dated, however with the changes that GM is making to accommodate the Z28 we cannot make a direct comparison until after the Z28 has been released and tested.

All in all, IMHO, if GM fails to have the Z28 outperform the older C6 Z06 (production ceased), then they will have failed in their vision of the Z28.
I kind of understand your statement but I don't think people realize the capability of a C6 Z06/07. The weight to power ratio is about 6.2lbs/hp (3150/505). I own a 1LE and after driving one of these I feel like I could smoke my camaro with a mountain bike, doesn't even have to be 21 speed. Now I understand my 1LE is not a Z/28 but still, a weight/power ratio in the low 6's brings terror in you every time you floor it.

A Z/28 is, best case, 3700/505 = 7.3 lbs/hp. This is a HUGE difference in simple straight line and we all know the C6 Z06/07 with equal tires (which are offered) will do better laterally. It is significantly lower CG and of course lower mass yet has massive tires front and rear as well.

The Z/28 will be an amazing car and I would probably pick it before any C6, but that is because I love the camaro and that character it has. It is a muscle car and it ooooooozes it, american muscle combined with world class systems. Just wow.

The C6 Z07 ran a 7:22 'Ring laptime. The ZL1 camaro ran 7:41. I would be shocked and in denial if the z/28 could even get into the high 20's (that would be amazing) but would still have to pick my jaw up if it was in the mid 30's. A 458 Italia Ferrari was in the 30's, that's how awesome a lap time in the 30's would be.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #83
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post

HOWEVER

Prepare for failure in 3.......2.......1

Unless you are expecting GM to add gobs of HP to the LS7 for the Z/28, there is no way that the /28 beats the 06. Yes I'm partial to the Z06 as I managed the Aluminium frame project and all that wonderful Carbon Fiber. Yes, the Ceramic brakes will help against a base Z06 just like they give the Z/28 a 3 second per lap advantage over the ZL1. But you aren't going to convince me (until we have data) that the awesomest Camaro ever built for the track can over come a 500 pound weight penalty and less tire but only having the same engine. That defies something.

This will be the best Camaro ever on a track IMO. But GM never said it would be their best car on the track PERIOD.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #84
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #85
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...wowzers....there isn't even any info, tangible info alebit, on what the C7 Z06 or ZR1 will have, and using any comparison to a C6 Corvette in any configuration is mute. Corvette is Camaro's bigger brother, that's widely known and accepted. How about this? Maybe GM will use the next Gen Camaro architecture and some new DI powerplant < shared no doubt from the Corvete upper tier> and make a Super Camaro in a two years...but at the end of the day it's still gonna take a back seat to the Vette in a hi-po trim.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #86
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Prepare for failure in 3.......2.......1

Unless you are expecting GM to add gobs of HP to the LS7 for the Z/28, there is no way that the /28 beats the 06. Yes I'm partial to the Z06 as I managed the Aluminium frame project and all that wonderful Carbon Fiber. Yes, the Ceramic brakes will help against a base Z06 just like they give the Z/28 a 3 second per lap advantage over the ZL1. But you aren't going to convince me (until we have data) that the awesomest Camaro ever built for the track can over come a 500 pound weight penalty and less tire but only having the same engine. That defies something.

This will be the best Camaro ever on a track IMO. But GM never said it would be their best car on the track PERIOD.
well said. the Z/28 will be for camaro enthusiasts.....the Z06 will still dominate the track......the 07-08 C6z with low miles can be easily had for low 40s.
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #87
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
we all know the C6 Z06/07 with equal tires (which are offered) will do better laterally.
nope...we all know NOTHING. I suggest 3...2...1...type in "Multimatic" to google and start there. Don't forget geometry and pick up points have changed too. The z/28 will easily best a c7 and likely best any zo6 on a road course and yes a better ring time is coming to youtube...until the next version zo6 with the same suspension technology...this is my "know nothing" prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackkaz04 View Post
well said. the Z/28 will be for camaro enthusiasts.....the Z06 will still dominate the track......the 07-08 C6z with low miles can be easily had for low 40s.
this z/28 pulled me in and I never would have considered a camaro or vette before and if you think there aren't many many more PCA, FCA, VCA, BMWCCA folks like myself very interested for track day fun you have missed the point…this is the meanest track car gm has ever made…btw….the C6-Rs are made by Pratt & Miller.

and if it does wipe up the competition with a blistering ring time under 7:19 can they sell every one for @100k...I think yes. What do you think?
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #88
Deki

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
nope...we all know NOTHING. I suggest 3...2...1...type in "Multimatic" to google and start there. Don't forget geometry and pick up points have changed too. The z/28 will easily best a c7 and likely best any zo6 on a road course and yes a better ring time is coming to youtube...until the next version zo6 with the same suspension technology...this is my "know nothing" prediction.
I will PayPal you 5 bucks if the new Z28 beats a new C7 around a track same day, same track, same driver (hopefully RP). Same goes for the C6Z. Weight is still an issue with that car, and even though some suspension components are different, they are not that much different.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #89
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
You guys talk of Corvettes as if everybody loves them. Some people wouldn't buy a Corvette, no matter what the Z/28 price will be. But I can't wait to see the results of the Z/28~
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #90
IOMZL1

Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I will PayPal you 5 bucks if the new Z28 beats a new C7 around a track same day, same track, same driver (hopefully RP). Same goes for the C6Z. Weight is still an issue with that car, and even though some suspension components are different, they are not that much different.
My guess is the Z/28 pips the base C7 but not the C6Z around a track. C7 is ~400 lbs lighter and ~50 less horsepower (straight line slight edge to C7?) but the main factor will be tires, suspension and downforce – advantage Z/28. We all saw what the ZL1 could do with its extra weight and the Z/28 is more focused on track performance.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #91
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
1000s of people will NOT have the opportunity to own a Gen-5 Z/28, regardless of their intent, or the shape of the tail lights, or...

BTW, this is NOT a car for the "average person", in any regard...

your answer illustrates GM's lost vision. making cars the average person cannot obtain = fail. anything chevrolet is supposed to be for the average person.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #92
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
your answer illustrates GM's lost vision. making cars the average person cannot obtain = fail. anything chevrolet is supposed to be for the average person.
Winning sells cars. I'm sure not many of the 1LEs built to race SSCA will and look how popular that car is becoming. Besides ever thought anyone would buy 60 thousand dollar Camaros?
In this case Chevy continues to hit line drives over the fence.

Can't wait till this Z beast is striking fear in the over priced underweight competition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #93
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I might amend this to:
"This will be the best stock Camaro ever on a track IMO."

This:
"But GM never said it would be their best car on the track PERIOD."

Given the physics of the situation, equal power, and the mostly goodness of the C6 platform how can it be any other way?

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #94
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
It's nice...just not $70k nice. Great if they sell 'em all..more bin parts available, as mentioned already. Hope to see one around these parts. I still would rather get a ZR1. Anyone else see 'Last Stand' w/ Arnold S, a ZR1 vs a ZL1?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #95
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Anything that color would be hideous..
that new green on the corvette is awesome!!! looks like the metallic green on the 1991-92 camaro!!

Mikes SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #96
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
that new green on the corvette is awesome!!! looks like the metallic green on the 1991-92 camaro!!
That color should be used to induce vomiting in small children.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #97
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
That color should be used to induce vomiting in small children.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
LOL that's a good one buddy! even though I think your humor is great, it would look awesome one a 5th gen...anywho...I havent commented about the Z/28 in a while..still pissed that a "Camaro" will not be in the price range of an average Joe!! WTF!!!
Mikes SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #98
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
just send it to http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
You guys talk of Corvettes as if everybody loves them. Some people wouldn't buy a Corvette, no matter what the Z/28 price will be. But I can't wait to see the results of the Z/28~
for personal reasons I can't ever own a vette so this is finally my chance to get in to a fast gm car with an ecu you can easily remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
I never knew about that motto...I was under the impression that they are about "value". If this thing stuns everyone what does that "value" cost 65 or 100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Winning sells cars. I'm sure not many of the 1LEs built to race SSCA will and look how popular that car is becoming. Besides ever thought anyone would buy 60 thousand dollar Camaros?
In this case Chevy continues to hit line drives over the fence.

Can't wait till this Z beast is striking fear in the over priced underweight competition.
+1
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #99
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Z28 shocks/struts = mount them on any Camaro and you have a Z/28 ?

I have not read anywhere that the Z/28 uses different control arm bushings or subframe bushings than any other Camaro.

If that is the case, someone can buy the off-the-shelf Z/28 struts/springs and then their Camaro is Track-ready and should ride the same as a Z/28.

Though I assume the springs/struts would be pricey.

But once you do that, it would seem the only thing really missing would be the LS7 engine.

Does anyone know if the Z/28 has power windows? I just wondered about this, because I do not think the weight savings would be worth it to make the windows hand-crank windows...
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #100
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
70K???.. this might be the only American car that your buying the name
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote