Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Throttle Body & Spacers | BBK, VMAX & Others

I thought I would compile a Throttle Body thread similar to previous Strut Tower Brace compilation. These definitely aren’t the level technical detail that you’ll find in the awesome write-up’s that guys like Apex or Jannetty have put together for us; but hopefully these threads are good for those who want simplified, centralized information, and aren’t afraid to use the search function.

I put this thread together with some pricing referencing while searching for general information. I’m not trying to promote any specific vendor – the links are just for reference. If you are a sponsored vendor here and have a link with a better deal, then post it! If there is a new TB or TB product, then post it if you’d like, and I’ll add it to the top here as well.

BBK Performance 100mm Throttle Body | $399.99, on sale for $349.99 + Free Shipping

For: LS3
This TB has a fair sized bore to it, but requires significant upgrading from your stock TB. It’s going to move awesome air, but as I understand it, you’ll have to convert your fairly cool electronic, motorized TB to a cable driven one.

BBK Performance 95mm Throttle Body | $379.99 + Free Shipping

For: LS3
A bolt-on TB with a larger bore through the housing. This bore size is for stock or slightly modified applications. I don’t own this one. I want one.

VMAX Ported Throttle Body | $150.00 + there’s usually some core return costs and returns to deal with

For: 5th Gen Camaro
A stock TB that has had some machine work done to add swirls to the posterior tunnel , therefore creating a “vortex” effect built right into the TB. I own this part, and I’m okay with it although I find the “vortex” effect somewhat questionable. In theory it sounds pretty though, and it’s a cheap bolt-on for some easy small gains if you believe the claims!

Airaid Throttle Body Spacer | $89.90 (lowest listed, not guaranteed) + Free Shipping

For: “2012 Camaro”
A TB spacer that claims to create the infamous “vortex” effect that the 30 something crowd here probably remembers from the old “Tornado” air foil infomercial days. I find the science on this one questionable, but it’s a spacer and not a TB.

Vararam Power Wedge | $119.00 plus or minus 20 bucks + Shipping charges

For: 5th Gen Camaro
This is a curious part. An expensive piece of plastic, but the spacer technology here makes more sense than something like the airaid does. This one simply changes the TB mounting angle thereby eliminating some of the deflection of airflow that otherwise occurs from the stock mounting of your TB.

Taylor Cable Helix Power Tower TB Spacer | $71.99 (lowest listed, not guaranteed) + Free Shipping

For: Custom fit for you car
This thing seems like a generic spacer of some kind. I found it in a search. It’s got a ludicrous, long, self-important name. Let’s talk about it in the thread.

Last edited by IMJ; 07-12-2013 at 10:17 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Nice thread it is interesting to find out what each of them do.....
Here is a nice video on BBK

Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
litle88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Ws6
The spacers are worthless IMHO, some say yes BUT they are always for sale in the classifieds.

The last one is an Ls1 style TB, won't work on Ls3
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
litle88
Account Suspended

Are BBK TB's out yet?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Are BBK TB's out yet?
Coming soon....as they have been for 3 years.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Coming soon....as they have been for 3 years.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
only spacer i seen that works well on these cars is one that drilled for nitrous

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
litle88
Account Suspended

^^^^^^YEEEEEEESS!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Yeah bbk TB is finally out just saw it for sale in the new issue of camaro now. Its $399 and you have to use the oem TB motor.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightymouseSS View Post
Yeah bbk TB is finally out just saw it for sale in the new issue of camaro now. Its $399 and you have to use the oem TB motor.
Its been advertised for months; doesn't mean they exist. Its the camaro version of snipe hunting. Go find me one in the wild.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
dekan513
chevy pride

yes its been on lots of sites sayin shipping now , then a few days later they say needs futher r&d or something like that.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
only spacer i seen that works well on these cars is one that drilled for nitrous
Nailed it. Spacers are pretty much worthless.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
dekan513
chevy pride

i think what spacer help on are cars that the spacer is after the fuel and air are mixed and then hit the spacer or give it more time to mix better. not sure but i know my dad messes with alot of sbc stuff and sometimes he runs a 1/2 spacer .

Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Just something to chew on a bit - what's the point in having a larger TB (i.e., 95 or 100m) if it's attached to an intake manifold that accommodates a 90mm TB opening? The air from the upgraded TB is just going to hit the smaller manifold inlet and deflect or meet resistance anyway, no?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
i think what spacer help on are cars that the spacer is after the fuel and air are mixed and then hit the spacer or give it more time to mix better. not sure but i know my dad messes with alot of sbc stuff and sometimes he runs a 1/2 spacer .
That would mean carbs. They work well on carb'd engines since they're a level of heat protection along with your scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Just something to chew on a bit - what's the point in having a larger TB (i.e., 95 or 100m) if it's attached to an intake manifold that accommodates a 90mm TB opening? The air from the upgraded TB is just going to hit the smaller manifold inlet and deflect or meet resistance anyway, no?
That would depend on if the IM opening is exactly 90mm. If it's a tad bigger, it might help. Only testing will show for sure. If need be, the plastic IM wouldn't be hard to dremel out to 95mm.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
scott&keyla

Drives: 2010 ss(scott) 2011 rs(keyla)
Well I just installed the bbk 95 throttle body. You can tell my computer knew there was something different when I first started it up. Idealed a little funny at first. After a few it seemed to go back to normal. Went for a drive and at a stop still kind of think the computer is trying to get use to it but when I get on it man you can tell a difference. Gonna drive for a few weeks with street and track time and post back in a few. Oh. My mods are cold air,headers,high flow fuel rails,cam,rpm tune and now the bbk throttle body. 460rwhp/440trq
Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Throttle Body & Spacers | BBK, VMAX & Others

I've had both the 95mm and 102mm BBK throttle bodies on my car during testing and I've been running the 95mm for about 10k miles now with no issues on a blown 725hp motor. I'll be putting the 102 back on shortly to see what a tune can squeeze out of it on a stock short block. The untuned gains were within 1rwhp on both of them using 91 octane.

Both show gains over the Vmax.