Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
ebsmith123
 
ebsmith123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, 2000 Regal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Anytown, US of A
Posts: 63
Cool 160 mph???

Do anybody has the balls to take their Camaro up to the 160? The other day I was at the bank in my moms 08 Honda Accord and this old guy pulls up next to me with the same car and told me he took it to the max!!!! This guy had to be about 70 years old!!!! When my Camaro finally comes in, I am debating of punchin dat bitch to the needle but kinda scared.... It would definately have to be about 4am to pull this off in at least 3 miles on a straight away freeway stretch!!!!

Who did it already???

Who plans on it?

Give me some insight and inspiration!!!!!!
ebsmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
TheClassicCarKid

 
TheClassicCarKid's Avatar
 
Drives: V45
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,272
Better get something to remove that 155 limiter then...


EDIT: Also, if you do that I'm pretty sure you'd die
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
All of the stang guys in one thread..wow..lol
.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
trudawg660

 
Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,642
i keep hearing rumors that people has passed 155
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
glambert1
HOMER
 
glambert1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 527
forget about it and try staying alive instead save that thing for useless teenagers
__________________
....do it yourself and be proud when you brag about your mods...
glambert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Buckbo
 
Buckbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wilmington,Delaware
Posts: 428
So your reason for wanting to do this is to impress some guy you don't know that pulled up next to you? I don't get it.
Buckbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Whoa. Before flaming the OP, it's a fair question. I personaly care more about acceleration than top speed because I'll NEVER need the top speed. But how high has anyone gotten theirs? On the track or on the road.

I hit 135 the other night. Barriers on both sides of the stretch so no deer or anything else would be out there and NO traffic at 3:00 AM.

The only person hurt would have been me. I refuse to drive any faster I don't care HOW fast it will go. I may actually never see that speed again, I just wanted to hit it one time. I did Bonnies to 135 once. I can tell you this. The Camaro felt alot more stable at that speed. The Lexus got REALLY light.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
glambert1
HOMER
 
glambert1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Whoa. Before flaming the OP, it's a fair question. I personaly care more about acceleration than top speed because I'll NEVER need the top speed. But how high has anyone gotten theirs? On the track or on the road.

I hit 135 the other night. Barriers on both sides of the stretch so no deer or anything else would be out there and NO traffic at 3:00 AM.

The only person hurt would have been me. I refuse to drive any faster I don't care HOW fast it will go. I may actually never see that speed again, I just wanted to hit it one time. I did Bonnies to 135 once. I can tell you this. The Camaro felt alot more stable at that speed. The Lexus got REALLY light.
I think your body getting ripped in half would hurt a lot of people who love you
__________________
....do it yourself and be proud when you brag about your mods...
glambert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
surfgun
 
Drives: 2010 SS, 2002 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ocean City
Posts: 54
I hate having a new car (that costs more) that can't go as fast as my 02 Z/28. Not that it really matters (the 02 has not gone past 130). It's just the principal of it! I just have to find a way to cope.
surfgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
MONEY
Black 2ss/rs Mid-August
 
MONEY's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Silverado, 1978 Corvette
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 65
Man, everytime someone says something about driving thier new cars, People always start to whine and bitch. if you don't like what the OP has posted, Don't reply! there are plenty of posts on here where, you don't have to trash talk ppl for wanting to try out there $40,000 cars!

Bottom line, IT'S A MUSCLE CAR! Ppl are going to drive them the way they were designed to be driven.
__________________
BLACK 2SS/RS INFERNO ORANGE INTERIOR (Ordered 6-10) ....... Pratt & Whitney J58 Jet Engine On Order, (Swap Details Soon!)
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
RoyalKev

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 971
Eh do what ever you want dude. I hit a 100 the other days and hell ill probably do it again tonight. Hate on it all you want I paid for a fast car im not gonna drive it like im 90.
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
You know what would be super-cool. If people pooled their money and had some sort of "race day" where people could just top out in their cars on the free ways all day. So you could do it legally.

Anyway, you would probably want to do it like 3:00 - 4:00 in the morning. That's what I've heard people doing.

I've always wondered, 'cause the 5th gens are not as airodynamic than the 4th gens.

If you do do it, tell us how far you got. (at a track of course)
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28

Last edited by MrCool; 07-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON
 
Camaro Lives On's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 GMC Envoy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Terre Haute, IN
Posts: 1,663
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert1 View Post
forget about it and try staying alive instead save that thing for useless teenagers
So it's ok for teenagers to die? Not all teenagers are speed demons like you apparently think...
__________________
Camaro Lives On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail
 
VenomZ302's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,788
I kinda sorta plan on taking my SS to the limit... but probably at one of the local tracks. I'm not in any rush to try it, though.
__________________

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!


2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
sigma_1966
My baby is here
 
sigma_1966's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2LT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 668
LOL... If you get nailed speeding your insurance will be sky high and you will always be a bragging point for a traffic cop somewhere. If you kill someone you will have lots of time to cut pictures out for your cell wall while waiting for "SHOWER TIME". Choice is yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsmith123 View Post
Do anybody has the balls to take their Camaro up to the 160? The other day I was at the bank in my moms 08 Honda Accord and this old guy pulls up next to me with the same car and told me he took it to the max!!!! This guy had to be about 70 years old!!!! When my Camaro finally comes in, I am debating of punchin dat bitch to the needle but kinda scared.... It would definately have to be about 4am to pull this off in at least 3 miles on a straight away freeway stretch!!!!

Who did it already???

Who plans on it?

Give me some insight and inspiration!!!!!!
__________________
sigma_1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
speeflo
 
Drives: Chevy 2500
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South
Posts: 97
we picked up our ss yesterday and on the road home i stomped it and hit 145 almost about redline of 4th gear maybe coulda got 150 but was coming upto a curve and was worried about a ticket... i probally wont do that very often but it had to happen ya gotta see what they can do ...
speeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #16
Stewbie
 
Drives: Not a Camaro (yet)
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 15
Here's some insight. At 145 mph, the SS needs a little over an 1/8 of a mile, or approximately 672 feet to come to a stop. At 160 mph, the SS needs approximately 818 ft to come to a stop.
Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
Stewbie
 
Drives: Not a Camaro (yet)
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
Man, everytime someone says something about driving thier new cars, People always start to whine and bitch. if you don't like what the OP has posted, Don't reply! there are plenty of posts on here where, you don't have to trash talk ppl for wanting to try out there $40,000 cars!

Bottom line, IT'S A MUSCLE CAR! Ppl are going to drive them the way they were designed to be driven.
The guy asked for opinions. He's getting them.
Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
Lucky SOB

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert1 View Post
forget about it and try staying alive instead save that thing for useless teenagers
easy easy... we've all got the lecture before and appreciate the wisdom.
__________________
Lucky SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert1 View Post
I think your body getting ripped in half would hurt a lot of people who love you
You must have had something bad happen to someone you knew. Sorry. :(

I plan on racing mine at times at sanctioned open road events and closed course events. The car will run well over 200 mph but will do so with the utmost care and attention to safety. Goes with the territory. As long as cars like the Camaro are produced many of us will race them against others, the clock or ourselves.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
SoloSK71
 
SoloSK71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 499
Or on a 14000 foot runway ...

- SK
__________________
- 2G1FT1EW9A9132212
- Life is hard when destiny believes in you.
- As coherent as a pit bull in a spin dryer. A dribbling tartan frothbucket.
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem

Last edited by SoloSK71; 07-04-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Still getting my ass kicked by the spelling!
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #21
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
If there wasn't a limiter, the car would hit atleast 163 (top of 4th) and most likely hit 170-175.

But it's limited to 155, I don't know why you guys would even bother to "see what it will do" if you already know.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #22
Speedfreak
 
Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 681
I ran my 93 Formula LT-1 up to 150+ a few times It was late at night on the interstate with a thick treeline in the median and no cars on the road. The air pressure sucked the window off of the moldings a bit

The fastest I have had my LS1 up to is the mid 140's but only a few times. Its very easy to hit 130 in the car. I usually hit triple digits everytime I drive it........
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #23
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,991
There is a great event in Nevada every year where they shut down a 12-15 mile section of road and let people "see what they can do" in their cars. Its not unusual to see cars that top 250 mph! They have several classes depending on what you think your car will "consistantly" run. It is a timed event and who ever gets the closest to their guestimate, wins. Looks like a lot of fun but I can't for the life of me remember where in NV it is. I saw it on "Gearz" a while back.

If I ever "see what my Camaro can do", it will either be there or at California Speedway. I was lucky enough to survive my early 20's with a 600+ hp Mustang and I have no desire to try to relive them in my mid 30's. My wife would kill me!
__________________
Powered by Cunningham MotorSports
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #24
skuttduck


 
skuttduck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Join Date: May 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 2,528
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
There is a great event in Nevada every year where they shut down a 12-15 mile section of road and let people "see what they can do" in their cars. Its not unusual to see cars that top 250 mph! They have several classes depending on what you think your car will "consistantly" run. It is a timed event and who ever gets the closest to their guestimate, wins. Looks like a lot of fun but I can't for the life of me remember where in NV it is. I saw it on "Gearz" a while back.

If I ever "see what my Camaro can do", it will either be there or at California Speedway. I was lucky enough to survive my early 20's with a 600+ hp Mustang and I have no desire to try to relive them in my mid 30's. My wife would kill me!
Are you referring to the silver state classic? http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

I'd be interested in hearing what the new camaros do during that race.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #25
Rockytophummer
 
Rockytophummer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryville tn.
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
There is a great event in Nevada every year where they shut down a 12-15 mile section of road and let people "see what they can do" in their cars. Its not unusual to see cars that top 250 mph! They have several classes depending on what you think your car will "consistantly" run. It is a timed event and who ever gets the closest to their guestimate, wins. Looks like a lot of fun but I can't for the life of me remember where in NV it is. I saw it on "Gearz" a while back.

If I ever "see what my Camaro can do", it will either be there or at California Speedway. I was lucky enough to survive my early 20's with a 600+ hp Mustang and I have no desire to try to relive them in my mid 30's. My wife would kill me!
How many cars and what type of cars are hitting 250mph? Top fuel dragsters?
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
160 mph???

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List Merc Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 2816 12-23-2014 12:44 PM
Maximum Speed trudawg660 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 54 02-23-2011 03:17 PM
Gear Ratio/RPM/MPH Spreadsheet in MS Excel ... dougmac 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 8 04-20-2009 07:19 PM
Automobile Magazine Review - First Drive: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS camaro5 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 03-21-2009 01:33 PM
2009 Cadillac CTS-V Runs 12.5-Second Quarter-Mile Caliman93230 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 30 08-28-2008 10:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.