Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
IndianaSPEED

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS Yellow
New wheels on Camaro V6 LS, what center rings do you recommend?

I recently purchased some new wheels for my Camaro V6 LS car. Unfortunately, the tire and wheel shop (Tire Kingdom) in my town wasn't much of a help when it came to installation besides making me fork over $10 for nothing. The shop needs center rings to properly install them on my car. The stated that the car wheel would wobble if proper spacers weren't installed. The online seller I went through doesn't supply wheels with centering spacers... :/

Here are my new wheels I just recently got:

Katana KR12 18x7.5 5-120 +35 offset wheels (4 new)

I bought some lug-nuts at my local Advanced Auto Parts store that properly fit the car and wheel. What are your thoughts on center rings (spacers) and which ones do you suggest I look for? The tire place was unwilling to give me information on what size ring to search for. The wheels look amazing and don't want to give up hope regards to installing them on my car. Needed to get rid of the steel wheels for quite sometime now...

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you.
IndianaSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
You need hub centric rings...i think summit racing sells them...
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
if you need extra parts to make them "properly fit" that means the rims werent made for the camaro...they might be talking about the hub ring though. and yea if you didnt buy rims from them then Yup they wont help you lol

Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset Range: 35 to 45
Wheel Size Range: 20x8.0 to 22x9.5
OEM Tire Size (Front): 245/45-20 (245x729 mm)
OEM Tire Size (Rear): 275/40-20 (275x728 mm)

http://www.katanawheels.com/contact.cfm email Katana info@katanawheels.com
they should be able to help you. good luck
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
IndianaSPEED

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS Yellow
I contacted Katana directly and they state that the shop doesn't know anything about aftermarket wheels. He said that these wheels are lug-centric, don't need spacers, and that the Camaro is fully supported. Gonna take these wheels to another shop on Thursday.
IndianaSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSPEED View Post
I contacted Katana directly and they state that the shop doesn't know anything about aftermarket wheels. He said that these wheels are lug-centric, don't need spacers, and that the Camaro is fully supported. Gonna take these wheels to another shop on Thursday.
This is from the Katana's website.

http://www.katanawheels.com/wheeltech.cfm

CENTERING

The other element that affects directly whether a wheel can be bolted onto a car is hubcentricity. Long ago, in the deep mists of time, wheels were located by taper of the lug nuts or bolts. This could lead to all sorts of problems, but they can be summarized by saying centering was liable to be less than perfect, and the sheer stress on wheel bolts or studs could be enormous. We are not aware of any passenger car wheels now made that are not hubcentric.

Hubcentric wheels have a hole at their center that fits closely over a round feature on the hub, serving to center the wheel on the axis of the spindle, as well as bear the verical weight of the vehicle. The wheel bolts or studs then serve simply to hold the wheel onto the hub, and are loaded only in tension, where they are strong. If the studs were required to absorb vertical forces, they would be loaded in single shear, the weakest arrangement for any fastener. Factory wheels are all machined to fit their specific application exactly, and some for the better aftermarket wheels are, too.

However, many aftermarket wheels rely on centering rings. This means that, instead of machining wheels specifically for each O.E. centering rings. This means that, instead of machining wheels specifically for each O.E. centering hole diameter, the wheel manufacturer machines all wheels to one size, and then uses inserts to gives a centering surface of the diameter required for each application. This is obviously easier to do, and makes inventorying a complete wheel line much simpler and less costly

If you buy wheels that use centering rings, be sure that the rings fit snugly in the wheels. if they are loose enough to fall out, how accurately can they be locating your wheel? Some tire shops automatically remove centering rings to balance wheel, just to make sure that there is no slop to make their balancing inaccurate.

The fact that a wheel physically bolts onto a car doesn't necessarily mean that it "fits." The centering surface could be too large, in which case there is essentially no centering. Just as importantly, the offset could be wrong.

Maybe you should call them again...