Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #29
SSinisterLS3
 
SSinisterLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
You can't go out and buy the most advanced magnetorheological suspension system that most european automakers are envious of.
What German company? The Germans hand us our "arse" in every road test. Porsche, Audi, BMW, and even Mercedes. Oh, wait. Not at Lemans. Haven't seen the ZL1 at Lemans. Wonder why? Oh, that's right, when it comes to racing.....Vettes take the titles.

A ZL1 is 63,000 average. Here in Texas, 70 all day. I can pick up a new 1ss for 33 well optioned. Better to me is better handling, better quarter, better horsepower, torque, and feel. Very possible with 30 grand. As for the bolt on guys, well that reminds me of the "stock" 5.0 going 11 on Youtube with 1 million views. Guy came out later and said it was tuned with an intake and drag slicks. Some people lie about their cars. The mags that test these cars all day are only recording 12.1 to 12.3. Someone lie about their car on Camaro5? Say it ain't so?

I think all ZL1s have that suspension verbage on cut and paste. Thrown up in every ZL1 conversation. Well, the GT500 records better lap times during every test. Just isn't scored high because of the brakes they use getting too hot. The GT500 doesn't use a magnetorheological suspension system so explain that? A live axle setup beating it? Must not be THAT good.
__________________
2011-Black LS3 2SS/RS-SOLD
2007-Victory Red C6-Magnacharged (M112 Intercooled), B/B Bullets, Lingenfelter Hood/Tune/Valve Covers, AR Catted Long Tubes, K/N Drop Ins, much more
SSinisterLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
What German company? The Germans hand us our "arse" in every road test. Porsche, Audi, BMW, and even Mercedes. Oh, wait. Not at Lemans. Haven't seen the ZL1 at Lemans. Wonder why? Oh, that's right, when it comes to racing.....Vettes take the titles.

A ZL1 is 63,000 average. Here in Texas, 70 all day. I can pick up a new 1ss for 33 well optioned. Better to me is better handling, better quarter, better horsepower, torque, and feel. Very possible with 30 grand. As for the bolt on guys, well that reminds me of the "stock" 5.0 going 11 on Youtube with 1 million views. Guy came out later and said it was tuned with an intake and drag slicks. Some people lie about their cars. The mags that test these cars all day are only recording 12.1 to 12.3. Someone lie about their car on Camaro5? Say it ain't so?

I think all ZL1s have that suspension verbage on cut and paste. Thrown up in every ZL1 conversation. Well, the GT500 records better lap times during every test. Just isn't scored high because of the brakes they use getting too hot. The GT500 doesn't use a magnetorheological suspension system so explain that? A live axle setup beating it? Must not be THAT good.
Dude your smoking crack !!! There was just a shootout a few months a go. The ZL1 came in 3rd, right behind a Lexus LFA. It ate the M6 and not just a little. Oh and the the Baron's car that you claim to be running "gears" for his sub 10sec run ... Ya he 's running gears, the STOCK ones. Also btw the Shelby does in fact beat the ZL1, only in a straight line and 1 or 2 hot laps on a road course, after that it fades.
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #31
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club
 
Modern07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Heathrow, FL
Posts: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
What German company? The Germans hand us our "arse" in every road test. Porsche, Audi, BMW, and even Mercedes. Oh, wait. Not at Lemans. Haven't seen the ZL1 at Lemans. Wonder why? Oh, that's right, when it comes to racing.....Vettes take the titles.

A ZL1 is 63,000 average. Here in Texas, 70 all day. I can pick up a new 1ss for 33 well optioned. Better to me is better handling, better quarter, better horsepower, torque, and feel. Very possible with 30 grand. As for the bolt on guys, well that reminds me of the "stock" 5.0 going 11 on Youtube with 1 million views. Guy came out later and said it was tuned with an intake and drag slicks. Some people lie about their cars. The mags that test these cars all day are only recording 12.1 to 12.3. Someone lie about their car on Camaro5? Say it ain't so?

I think all ZL1s have that suspension verbage on cut and paste. Thrown up in every ZL1 conversation. Well, the GT500 records better lap times during every test. Just isn't scored high because of the brakes they use getting too hot. The GT500 doesn't use a magnetorheological suspension system so explain that? A live axle setup beating it? Must not be THAT good.
Blah blah blah blah blah

Shouldn't you be on a corvette forum talking about your wonderful 2007 LS2 rather than still trolling around here?
__________________
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
Maybe convince was the wrong word. Just asking opinions on those that have had SS models or other cars how they feel now after ZL purchase. Just recently traded my GrandSport and it felt faster than either ZL that I drove.
OK, I had a 2011 2SS/RS Vert M6 and I loved it to death.
Then GM decided to make a ZL1 Vert. I rushed down to the dealer to make sure my name was on their list, and it was delivered Aug 27 2012.

they may both be Camaro's, but the ZL1 is a whole different car than the SS. Yes it's heavy, and yes visability can be an issue some times, but boy do I love this beast.

I have no plans on racing it (that would rquire a roll bar), and it might not be the fastest car in the world, but for me driving it for pleasure, 580hp seems to be perfect for me knowing this car is DESIGNED to be driven hard but is still covered by a 100kmile warranty.

Take it out on a nice 71 degree day, turn the nannies off (careful now), press teh loud pedal and just be transported to heaven if even for just a short while.

It is comfortable, smooth, and the right amount of oh crap power is there whenever you want it.

And...., if 580 is not enough, and you don't care abhout the warranty, 700rwhp is very easy to come by.

Is it faster than a Vette, or a modded SS? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is what I bought is to me the perfect amount of power for me.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
Lol, that's funny.
Lol, I almost got cha!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
HATE when this is brought up. Just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean they can't afford it. If you can afford a cammed SS, you can afford a ZL1. Problem is which would you be happier in. Sounds to me like the SS on the basis you want something YOU make fast versus coming fast from the factory. Only half a second and less difference in a SS and a ZL1 stock for stock. Half a second, and half the price.
The OP got the joke, you obviously took it seriously. So since apparently what I said struck a nerve it looks like it applies to you. And if you can afford a Cammed SS doesn't mean you can afford a ZL1, wtf lol. Most owners typically finance the car in full. And with the SS with mods your obviously not financing a $54-60k+ vehicle. In any case it's a matter of personal preference on what the OP decides to do.

The OP needed convincing, I told him he can't afford it and convince me otherwise he can which ultimately means if he took the bait he'd buy the ZL1. Lmao. So relax buddy, you completely dived head first in a empty pool.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
Payments arent the issue and the car is definitely badass, just asking from having three C6 vettes and a modded SS, if the car was as fast initially as you guys/gals thought it would be. One just seemed like an average car and not a 580hp.


You've owned the others what's preventing you from buying this one? The car is already fast you have to adapt to it's feeling. It lulls you into thinking there's nothing happening. This car can be modded also. The thing I like about that is you start off with a better package to start modding.



I actually just did research, looked at ZL1's at three different dealers and bought the third one I saw off of the showroom floor after getting the dealer to discount! I believe the majority of owners on here that really want a ZL1 just locate what they want and buy it.

Last edited by ZL1-V; 07-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #36
2012-1822


 
2012-1822's Avatar
 
Drives: Black ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: City of Champions, Alabama
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster12 View Post
You say an SS can be "better" than a ZL1?
Faster, It's best to ignore this guy, he's a H8R that confuses his facts to make his arguments seem okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
You've owned the others what's preventing you from buying this one? The car is already fast you have to adapt to it's feeling. It lulls you into thinking there's nothing happening. This car can be modded also. The thing I like about that is you start off with a better package to start modding.
Great point, the ZL1 is a great platform to start with, I mean intake, pulleys, and a tune turn the car into more of a beast, because it sure already is one.
__________________
Check out Alabama Camaros, for Camaro enthusiasts all around Alabama https://www.facebook.com/groups/1739...group_activity
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Faster, It's best to ignore this guy, he's a H8R that confuses his facts to make his arguments seem okay



Great point, the ZL1 is a great platform to start with, I mean intake, pulleys, and a tune turn the car into more of a beast, because it sure already is one.

People that OWN the car know that for a fact! I focused on suspension mods first. The difference is amazing. If you think the car handles well stock it handles even better when modded correctly. It allows you to understand the car even more and enjoy the changes done to it. It appears from what I am reading about engine mods the feeling is the similar, as in you can "feel" the changes immediately. I will eventually get to engine mods for my car after roll bar and seats are done.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
spacedriver
 
Drives: 2011 ss silver black strips 6 speed
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bethlehem Pa
Posts: 75
All I have to say after reading everybody's posts ,my next camaro will be a ZL1.
spacedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #39
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 BMW M5 & 15 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Faster, It's best to ignore this guy, he's a H8R that confuses his facts to make his arguments seem okay



Great point, the ZL1 is a great platform to start with, I mean intake, pulleys, and a tune turn the car into more of a beast, because it sure already is one.
Agreed. Just needs a tad more power. About 75 rwhp. Every other performance area is good to go stock.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #40
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,443
I am always amazed at how the ZL1 runs next other cars because it feels slow to me but it is not.
__________________
2016 SS -AGP twin Borg Warner 7163 EFR's, LT4 mechanical pump, LT4 injectors, Walbro 255 low side, Castrol SRF. 734whp/759 tq

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1200+... 203.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
2012-1822


 
2012-1822's Avatar
 
Drives: Black ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: City of Champions, Alabama
Posts: 3,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Agreed. Just needs a tad more power. About 75 rwhp. Every other performance area is good to go stock.
Well there you go. Amazingly Jannetty has a 75rwhp package ready to go
__________________
Check out Alabama Camaros, for Camaro enthusiasts all around Alabama https://www.facebook.com/groups/1739...group_activity
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #42
SSinisterLS3
 
SSinisterLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Dude your smoking crack !!! There was just a shootout a few months a go. The ZL1 came in 3rd, right behind a Lexus LFA. It ate the M6 and not just a little. Oh and the the Baron's car that you claim to be running "gears" for his sub 10sec run ... Ya he 's running gears, the STOCK ones. Also btw the Shelby does in fact beat the ZL1, only in a straight line and 1 or 2 hot laps on a road course, after that it fades.
All of that doesn't matter if you can't even beat a LIVE AXLE SPORTS CAR! It's GM's rival, and they failed. The ZL1 costs more. Strike one. The ZL1 loses the quarter. Strike two. The ZL1 has "supreme handling" but still loses on the road course. Strike three, they are out. One or two hot laps? Who is going to enter their car into ANY race with an extended period of time without changing the brakes anyway? Point is, one test lap, one quarter test, and two victories for the GT500. Any way you slice the pie, its still pie. As for gears, that car is in fifth before half the strip is gone. Umm...geared. There is also a highly modded ZL1 on this forum with 760whp. No nitrous. Found the thread this morning, can't find it again. He ran high tens. Same as this so called "bolt on ZL1." If bolt ons get the ZL1 to 760whp I will eat the whole car in its entirety. Isn't going to happen.

The M6? Really? I'm the one smoking, huh? The M6 pulls 13s. European versions are rated at 14. Wonder which will win. My freaking stock CSRT4 pulled a 14. That is a very poorly put together "shoot out."
__________________
2011-Black LS3 2SS/RS-SOLD
2007-Victory Red C6-Magnacharged (M112 Intercooled), B/B Bullets, Lingenfelter Hood/Tune/Valve Covers, AR Catted Long Tubes, K/N Drop Ins, much more

Last edited by SSinisterLS3; 07-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.
SSinisterLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.