Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Water leak in footwell...AGAIN...

I have had my 2012 2SS/RS convertible back for a little over two weeks, after having it at the dealer for a week and a half for the same issue. Anyways, ever since I have been checking the footwells regularly and today after my car sat in the parking lot at work during a heavy rain, I checked the footwell and there was no water.

However, after getting home (very little rain on the way home), there was water in my passenger rear footwell (pictured below). The only thing I can think of is all the water in the bag sloshed around (I could hear it) and that water drained into the cabin. The weird part is that if you look closely, you can see water marks on the bottom door jam molding...as if the water came in under the door. If that's the case, it can't be the bag...can it?

Needless to say I need to take it back to the dealer, but wanted some input from you guys. This go around I am asking for the full treatment (replace carpet) and I hope they can get it fixed this go around. I think they focused on the wrong area the first time around, because now when I wash my car, I get a leak at the top of the glass that I didn't have before I took it in the first time. They said there was a weather stripping and sealant TSB that needed to be done to correct the issue. If the leak was coming from the glass, I would expect to see a trail of water down the glass and dook skin (which I saw when I washed my card, but not after this rainfall).

Needless to say with these leaks and on my 3rd dash replacement (for bubbling), I am starting to lose faith in wanting to keep my camaro past the warranty period.
Attached Images
  
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
As a side note, how do you open a formal complaint with GM on a car that seems to have mounting issues the longer I own it?
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
95birdible

 
95birdible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 1,472
It could be one of the tubes came loose from the bag. Also, the seam on the bottom could be bad. If you want to file a complaint, I would use the BBB. Here is the link
http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line-lemon-law/
__________________
2012 1SS Triple Black Convertible
"The Assassin" 8/4/11 - 4/17/12

2012 1SS Crystal Red Convertible
"Cherry Bomb" 4/17/12 - Lifetime?
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
I have had my 2012 2SS/RS convertible back for a little over two weeks, after having it at the dealer for a week and a half for the same issue. Anyways, ever since I have been checking the footwells regularly and today after my car sat in the parking lot at work during a heavy rain, I checked the footwell and there was no water.

However, after getting home (very little rain on the way home), there was water in my passenger rear footwell (pictured below). The only thing I can think of is all the water in the bag sloshed around (I could hear it) and that water drained into the cabin. The weird part is that if you look closely, you can see water marks on the bottom door jam molding...as if the water came in under the door. If that's the case, it can't be the bag...can it?

Needless to say I need to take it back to the dealer, but wanted some input from you guys. This go around I am asking for the full treatment (replace carpet) and I hope they can get it fixed this go around. I think they focused on the wrong area the first time around, because now when I wash my car, I get a leak at the top of the glass that I didn't have before I took it in the first time. They said there was a weather stripping and sealant TSB that needed to be done to correct the issue. If the leak was coming from the glass, I would expect to see a trail of water down the glass and dook skin (which I saw when I washed my card, but not after this rainfall).

Needless to say with these leaks and on my 3rd dash replacement (for bubbling), I am starting to lose faith in wanting to keep my camaro past the warranty period.
cflbuckeye,

I'm very sorry for the vehicle issues you have experienced and would like to see what I can do for you. Feel free to message me at your earliest convenience so I can explore these matters to a greater extent.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,461
Any water bag experts on here?

Is this a likely drain path for a bad water bag?

It's so close to the seat belt mount.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Phillies Fan
 
theragtopguy's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver/Black '12 2LT 'Vert 6-speed
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern Penns Woods
Posts: 832
I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be the door seals. They put new ones in and problem is gone.
__________________
Phillies Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet!!!!

Ported TB, CAI induction, MRT V-2 Pipes
theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
cflbuckeye,

I'm very sorry for the vehicle issues you have experienced and would like to see what I can do for you. Feel free to message me at your earliest convenience so I can explore these matters to a greater extent.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
William,

Hello, and thanks for offering to help. Sorry if my frustration is starting to shine through a bit, but I have own several new vehicles and this is the first one that has required so much warranty work that I have concerns about the warranty period expiring and the ongoing out-of-pocket costs that might continue.

Anything you can do to help nail down the root cause of the leaks would be appreciated. Is there anything else I can provide? I haven't contacted the dealer just yet, but I will likely be calling them today to setup a time I can drop it off for them to take another look at it.

Marc
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
pgustavson
does NOT drive a "'vert"
 
pgustavson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gambrills, MD
Posts: 1,354
I was down in the Outer Banks last week and was sitting in my car during a heavy rain with winds driving the water hard against the driver's side. Water was coming in at the top rear corner of the window glass, and some of it ended up right where your pics show it. I, too, just had the top fabric replaced. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment that can be made, but I will find out as soon as I can get my car back to the dealer for some paint work. It never really ends for some of these convertibles...
__________________
Vararam | Vmax Ported TB | Ported IM | Vmax Black ICE-olator

Last edited by pgustavson; 07-03-2013 at 12:16 PM.
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Well, it's definetly coming from under the door. We had more rain today and I went to lunch. Before I pulled out of the parking lot, the footwell was dry. The first stop light I got too, I looked over at the door sill and could see water spilling in over the threshold trim. So it looks like I at least know where the water is coming from, so maybe it is the door seal as previously mentioned by another responder on this thread?

Taking it to the dealer on Sunday to drop it off, see how it goes.
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
I was down in the Outer Banks last week and was sitting in my car during a heavy rain with winds driving the water hard against the driver's side. Water was coming in at the top rear corner of the window glass, and some of it ended up right where your pics show it. I, too, just had the top fabric replaced. I'm not sure if there is an adjustment that can be made, but I will find out as soon as I can get my car back to the dealer for some paint work. It never really ends for some of these convertibles...
Now that it seems the leak is for sure coming from undre the door, I am wondering if my dealer didn't create a new leak when they replaced the weatherstripping around the glass when they tried to fix my leak the first time. I never used to have a leak at the top of the glass prior to the visit.

I hope it can be something adjusted, as I plan on having them revisit their previous work to fix that leak too.
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
William,

Hello, and thanks for offering to help. Sorry if my frustration is starting to shine through a bit, but I have own several new vehicles and this is the first one that has required so much warranty work that I have concerns about the warranty period expiring and the ongoing out-of-pocket costs that might continue.

Anything you can do to help nail down the root cause of the leaks would be appreciated. Is there anything else I can provide? I haven't contacted the dealer just yet, but I will likely be calling them today to setup a time I can drop it off for them to take another look at it.

Marc
Greetings Marc,

No problem for the assistance. I certainly understand your frustration and will definitely see what I can do for you. Thanks for your PM. I will be responding shortly!

Thanks,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
theragtopguy
Lifetime Phillies Fan
 
theragtopguy's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver/Black '12 2LT 'Vert 6-speed
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern Penns Woods
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
Well, it's definetly coming from under the door. We had more rain today and I went to lunch. Before I pulled out of the parking lot, the footwell was dry. The first stop light I got too, I looked over at the door sill and could see water spilling in over the threshold trim. So it looks like I at least know where the water is coming from, so maybe it is the door seal as previously mentioned by another responder on this thread?

Taking it to the dealer on Sunday to drop it off, see how it goes.
That is exactly what it is. Easy fix. Good luck man!!
__________________
Phillies Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet!!!!

Ported TB, CAI induction, MRT V-2 Pipes
theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Well dropped if off yesterday and their leak guy looked at it today, and diagnosed that the vapor barrier in the passnger door needed to be replaced? Apparently the newer material they are using isn't as good as to what they used 4-5 years ago (this is what I am being told) and they are ordering older material to replace it with. When I hear vapor barrier, I think of the plastic visqueen (sure that isn't spelled right) that is sometimes in doors. Anyways, does this sound right to anyone else?
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 880
Can you elaborate on vapor barrier? There is just a set of bulb seals like on any other car as far as I know.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Can you elaborate on vapor barrier? There is just a set of bulb seals like on any other car as far as I know.
I wish I knew, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable then I would chime in. =)

I am hoping they can elaborate when it's ready for pickup, but so far that is what they are telling me.
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
spikess581
 
spikess581's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bristol Pa
Posts: 356
The vapor barrier is the sheet of material glued to the door behind the door panel. I might be wrong but that does not sound like it is the problem my vote goes to the door weather stripping
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin
 
hworth18's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
I had the exact same issue and it turned out to be the door seals. They put new ones in and problem is gone.
I think there is a TSB for this.. That what it looks like to me.
__________________
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark
hworth18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
The vapor barrier is the sheet of material glued to the door behind the door panel. I might be wrong but that does not sound like it is the problem my vote goes to the door weather stripping
Yeah, I had the wrong term...but you described the right item. I meant to say it's the vapor shield, and as far as I know...it's not meant to seal the door from that much water. So I have a hard time believing that is what it is.
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 880
Yeah, that is a lot more than vapor on your carpet! If that much water is INSIDE your door you have much bigger issues than a vapor barrier. My bet is on the door seal as well.

What is up with these dealers? They come up with the strangest conclusions.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
Angella
~Living the Dream~
 
Angella's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Cobalt, 11 2SSRS Vert, 11 CBR250
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland and Virginia
Posts: 405
here is one for you guys! i notice that my truck was flooding after any type of rain.. so last night i did some investigation and the stupid bag was completely detached and draining into my trunk!!
__________________
Angella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 880
Holy crap! I wonder how that happened.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
Angella
~Living the Dream~
 
Angella's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Cobalt, 11 2SSRS Vert, 11 CBR250
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maryland and Virginia
Posts: 405
people have no idea what they are doing... so apparently its worse than just the trunk... the entire car is flooded... UGH
__________________
Angella is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.