Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
TPMS Question

I bought my LS with aftermarket 18" wheels but the last owner used the same OEM tires on the rim. just yesterday i bought a set of RS 20" rims but they didnt come with the tpms. my question is will the sensors on my 18" wheels work with the 20" wheels?? i hope its a yes because i went to autozone and the sensors were $50 each i can only imagine what the dealer would charge.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Yes they should work fine.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
wheels sensors have nothing to do with wheel diameters - you're good...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Ok perfect! thanks for the imput.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
SSMickey
SECC

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
If you put each sensor back in the same location on the car you removed it from, you shouldn't even have to re-program.
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
SSMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

^ Thanx, i feel a lot better now that i know all of this.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
It's not like the car stops being drivable if the new wheels don't end up with any sensors at all (or if any of them get damaged during the swap). Black tape or something similar takes care of the light.

Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
SSMickey
SECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's not like the car stops being drivable if the new wheels don't end up with any sensors at all (or if any of them get damaged during the swap). Black tape or something similar takes care of the light.

Norm
While true, something tells me that the OP would like his car to function correctly and is not the type to hide a fault with tape. Come on now, really?
Vengeance Stage II Cam, Halltech CAI, RX Catch Can, Full ARH Exhaust, QTP Cutouts, Powerbond 25% Underdrive, MGW Shifter, MTI Drop Springs, Forgeline RB3C Wheels, 3.91 gears, Night Owl LED Control System
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
joeybsyc

Quote:

Norm
Black tape on the dash to "take care" of a light? seriously? Some of the advice I see here makes me laugh.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Ohten
Hot Sauce

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tincoat SS/RS
If you need a set let me know I have 4 OEM sensors still in the unopened factory bags.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
If you need a set let me know I have 4 OEM sensors still in the unopened factory bags.
Alright thanks man. i wont have time to put on the wheels until next week because i have so much things going on but if i need new ones ill send you a PM for sure.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
While true, something tells me that the OP would like his car to function correctly and is not the type to hide a fault with tape. Come on now, really?
We never needed this system before, so why do we need to have it now?

Are people that much less observant these days? That much less willing to keep track of their car's condition? And some of those who are the most insistent on retaining it still want to call themselves "car enthusiasts"?

We've got it mainly because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone mess a few years back, and partly because of the introduction of run-flat tires. Do either of those situations apply here? Didn't think so.

Of course it is still up to the OP to make his choice. I was just giving him one more option. You don't have to agree with it, just like I wouldn't ever agree to pay $50 (or whatever) x 4 the next time I do a new set of wheels & tires. 45 years driving without TPMS at all out of 50, and still having two cars that don't have it tells me that you can get away without this system just fine in virtually all "muscle car" cases (SUV's and run-flats I'll give you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
Black tape on the dash to "take care" of a light? seriously? Some of the advice I see here makes me laugh.
Actually, it's a fairly common way of eliminating that needless distraction. Removing the TPMS lamp itself or somehow causing it to not work at all actually are illegal (FMVSS something or other). Wait a few years, when the little batteries in the sensors die and you get the dashboard lamp lit even when you know for absolute fact that the tires are all properly inflated. Then tell me you'd rather spend a lot of money than just let the light burn out of sight.

Norm
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
joeybsyc

Quote:
We never needed this system before, so why do we need to have it now?

Are people that much less observant these days? That much less willing to keep track of their car's condition? And some of those who are the most insistent on retaining it still want to call themselves "car enthusiasts"?

We've got it mainly because of the Ford Explorer/Firestone mess a few years back, and partly because of the introduction of run-flat tires. Do either of those situations apply here? Didn't think so.

Of course it is still up to the OP to make his choice. I was just giving him one more option. You don't have to agree with it, just like I wouldn't ever agree to pay $50 (or whatever) x 4 the next time I do a new set of wheels & tires.

Actually, it's a fairly common way of eliminating that needless distraction. Removing the TPMS lamp itself or somehow causing it to not work at all actually are illegal (FMVSS something or other). Wait a few years, when the little batteries in the sensors die and you get the dashboard lamp lit even when you know for absolute fact that the tires are all properly inflated. Then tell me you'd rather spend a lot of money than just let the light burn out of sight.

Norm

No, actually....you CAN'T just put black tape over the light like it was an '85 Citation... even if you did think that would be an acceptable "fix". In addition to the illuminated light on the dash, the Driver Information Center will chime and flash a message every few minutes, informing the driver that there is a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Unless maybe the OP could just tape off the entire dashboard and drive by feel?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

You're telling me you can't 'reset' the DIC somehow? I thought there was a 'set/clear' button, know I've seen it in the Owner Manuals.

If you can't, that's a bit of a rip, as I think the Mustang used to chime and set a message just once if you went more than about 20 miles from the stack of tires that did have the sensors, and the Subie has never done either of those things (just the light). Then again, the situation here is from the same folks who don't provide a means of turning the HSA off as OE, so maybe I need to keep in mind yet another exception for "over-protectiveness".

Norm
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
SSMickey
SECC

Quote:
You're telling me you can't 'reset' the DIC somehow? I thought there was a 'set/clear' button, know I've seen it in the Owner Manuals.

If you can't, that's a bit of a rip, as I think the Mustang used to chime and set a message just once if you went more than about 20 miles from the stack of tires that did have the sensors, and the Subie has never done either of those things (just the light). Then again, the situation here is from the same folks who don't provide a means of turning the HSA off as OE, so maybe I need to keep in mind yet another exception for "over-protectiveness".

Norm
You can reset the DIC, but the message will reappear every time you start the car and you will have to reset it every time you start the car.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

OK. That makes it about the same as my Mustang, which with a new Smart Junction Box (more or less aka Body Control Module) that doesn't even recognize the sensors in the wheels that have them. A water leak killed the original SJB, and I haven't bothered to get any retraining done on the new one.

Hitting 'reset' eventually gets to be almost as much a part of what you do before driving off as fastening your seatbelt.

Norm