Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Living at the beach....rinse off in between rain storms?

Anyone who has lived at the beach knows there are random 5 min rains and then it will be sunny. Well I absolutely hate seeing the hard water stains (which look like they are filled w/ salt) sitting on my paint.

I seal and wax my car bi-yearly and use a wax-as-you-dry product after every wash which is usually once a week. However, I am going to the local self service wash station and spraying the car down w/ a soap mixture then rinsing it off in between these random storms so that salty water isn't sitting and baking on my car in the sun.

I'd like everyone's opinion on if this is the best idea or if there is a better idea out there. Also, i'm in a waiting list for a garage at my apartment but until then, this is what I have to deal with.
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,407
I would just go with a rinseless or waterless wash like Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash+ Concentrate. Or if you can and are at home, just a simple detail spray wipe down once it stops raining will prevent the minerals in the rain from etching or spotting your paint.

The reason I go with these choices are because you can pick up distilled water and make sure you're using clean water yourself rather than relying on the wash stations water, and you can do it at home.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob
 
kostnkost's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 812
I live on Long Island, and pretty much get the same thing you do. I have been using Pinnacles Waterless Wash with carnuba wax after washes with great results.
__________________
kostnkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Thanks for your input guys. KostnKost, you use the waterless wash after it rains to prevent the water spots?
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes



 
Adam's Polishes's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,254
Having a good coat of sealant/wax on the surface and getting the water off the surface are the best methods for combating water spots. Our Waterless Wash works well here.

You mentioned using a self service car wash. If you are doing that, avoid using the soaps there as they are almost always highly acidic and will strip off and LSP you have (or had) on your car. They have to be strong since there are no brushes to agitate the dirt on your car. It's best to just use the high pressure water in the self service bays if that's the route you want to go.
__________________
e: shinedoc@adamspolishes.com | toll free: [866] 965 - 0400 | join the discussion: adamsforums.com

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob
 
kostnkost's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Thanks for your input guys. KostnKost, you use the waterless wash after it rains to prevent the water spots?
I use a waterless maybe once or twice during the week after I give my car a nice bath and I never bring it to a car wash or self service station.
__________________
kostnkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
During a full wash of my car, the self service station I use is strictly for the water flow gentlemen. Wanted to get that clear. However, following a storm I will no longer be using the spray soap as Nick@Adams mentioned how aggressive it can be. Luckily, I only used it once before I was educated.

Now, since my skull is rather thick and we all know the paint on these cars (or atleast mine) is extremely thin, let me get this straight....


For instance, I wash the car on Sunday. With my luck, it rains Tuesday. Wednesday it's sunny and hot, and I get those hard, somewhat salty/sandy, water stains. My best option would be to spray the car down w/ the Adams Waterless Wash right after it rains or later on in the evening when it's cooler (even if the water and salt is dried) and follow the Adams Waterless Wash directions, and the car will look "just washed" without swirl marks, correct? Objections/Suggestions?
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob
 
kostnkost's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 812
Personally, and this is just me, but you may want to wax/seal your car more than "bi-yearly" as you stated. Since obtaining my car in October of last year, I have waxed my car twice and sealed it once. As soon as I start seeing water stains on my car I know it's time. I assume if this water stains keep coming back even after waxing, then a PC is in my near future. A waterless will not do much if you do not have a first line of protection on the car(wax or seal). The best offense is a great defense.
__________________
kostnkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
During a full wash of my car, the self service station I use is strictly for the water flow gentlemen. Wanted to get that clear. However, following a storm I will no longer be using the spray soap as Nick@Adams mentioned how aggressive it can be. Luckily, I only used it once before I was educated.

Now, since my skull is rather thick and we all know the paint on these cars (or atleast mine) is extremely thin, let me get this straight....


For instance, I wash the car on Sunday. With my luck, it rains Tuesday. Wednesday it's sunny and hot, and I get those hard, somewhat salty/sandy, water stains. My best option would be to spray the car down w/ the Adams Waterless Wash right after it rains or later on in the evening when it's cooler (even if the water and salt is dried) and follow the Adams Waterless Wash directions, and the car will look "just washed" without swirl marks, correct? Objections/Suggestions?
That completely depends on how dirty your car is and how comfortable you are with waterless washes. What towels are you using? Because it is better if you use towels with a long nap so dirt can get pulled further in to the towel and not be dragged across the paint. If it's anything more than light dust I wouldn't use a waterless, now if it rains and once it stops you wipe it down I would do, but personally I would just do a rinseless wash if the spots were dried on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
Personally, and this is just me, but you may want to wax/seal your car more than "bi-yearly" as you stated. Since obtaining my car in October of last year, I have waxed my car twice and sealed it once. As soon as I start seeing water stains on my car I know it's time. I assume if this water stains keep coming back even after waxing, then a PC is in my near future. A waterless will not do much if you do not have a first line of protection on the car(wax or seal). The best offense is a great defense.
I would agree, putting a sealant and then topping with a wax will help put a protective barrier between the environment and your paint. Unless your paint has a semi-permanent or permanent coating like CQuartz or Opti-Coat. I would seal and wax quarterly. Yes some products last longer and you can make your choice then but if your car is parked outside you can't expect them to last as long as they may state to last. You can always wash your car and check the beading and sheeting action as well.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Looks like the root of this problem is in my wax/sealant being worn off. I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so I will wash and re seal my car and then re wax it shortly after.
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Looks like the root of this problem is in my wax/sealant being worn off. I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so I will wash and re seal my car and then re wax it shortly after.
What sealant? Most recommend a curing time of 12 hours.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #12
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
I use Griots Garage sealant and wax.
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,407
I would give the sealant 12 hours before applying wax. I think Griot's sealant says to dry to a haze before buffing, but after wiping give it the curing time before applying the wax.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
I would give the sealant 12 hours before applying wax. I think Griot's sealant says to dry to a haze before buffing, but after wiping give it the curing time before applying the wax.

Yes sir it does. Now I just have to play this game with the weather....we've got 2 or 3 days that has a 40-50% chance of rain. I'd almost rather it just rain so I can have my mind made up for me.
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
babaron
Totally into it
 
babaron's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 656
I put Adams sealant on every 3 months and it works wonderfully! Rain Water beads and falls off almost every panel.
__________________
____________________________________THERE MUST BE A SUPPORT GROUP FOR THIS ADDICTION. AM I IN THE RIGHT PLACE?
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
I put Adams sealant on every 3 months and it works wonderfully! Rain Water beads and falls off almost every panel.

I plan on applying sealant and wax every 3 months now as well. Do you clay bar/clay towel your car every time before applying? I am thinking of clay toweling my car before applying sealant/wax every other time I apply, just to keep from wearing down what little clear coat is there.
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
I plan on applying sealant and wax every 3 months now as well. Do you clay bar/clay towel your car every time before applying? I am thinking of clay toweling my car before applying sealant/wax every other time I apply, just to keep from wearing down what little clear coat is there.
There's a few things in here that need some attention..

First thing is that clay has nothing to do with wearing down clear coat. Zip. It's a non-abrasive process.

Second, anytime you're applying sealant you should strip the car. You don't want to put it over existing wax. Claying is a good idea and an insurance policy that you actually did strip off the protection.

3 months is excessive for any good sealant. My advice for you would be as follows:

Strip, clay, apply 2 coats of your sealant (12 hours apart) and top with wax. Then just top off the wax every 3 months. That'll keep your sealant going strong and is a lot easier than stripping and doing both every 3 months.
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
I plan on applying sealant and wax every 3 months now as well. Do you clay bar/clay towel your car every time before applying? I am thinking of clay toweling my car before applying sealant/wax every other time I apply, just to keep from wearing down what little clear coat is there.
I doubt you have that little clear cut unless you're cars been wetsanded or heavily compounded multiple times. Granted in the scheme of things your paint is thinner than a sheet of paper but in relation to other cars I'd wager it's quite healthy and you have nothing to worry about clear coat failure or anything.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
There's a few things in here that need some attention..

First thing is that clay has nothing to do with wearing down clear coat. Zip. It's a non-abrasive process.

Second, anytime you're applying sealant you should strip the car. You don't want to put it over existing wax. Claying is a good idea and an insurance policy that you actually did strip off the protection.

3 months is excessive for any good sealant. My advice for you would be as follows:

Strip, clay, apply 2 coats of your sealant (12 hours apart) and top with wax. Then just top off the wax every 3 months. That'll keep your sealant going strong and is a lot easier than stripping and doing both every 3 months.

Damnit I thought I got away from you CD07... As usual you chime in with good advice. Where did you learn your techniques from?


Also it's good to know that the clay process doesn't take any clear coat. I'm paranoid since it's a black car.
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...
 
Cornflakes'Camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 311
Here's a picture after putting the sealant on yesterday...I just got back from using the self service car wash as shade while I put the wax on.
Attached Images
 
__________________
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.