Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
2006 GTO vs 2008 G8 GXP vs Camaro SS

Whats the main difference between these cars? besides the obvious (for all you trolls lol i know the GTO has an LS2 and the GXP has a LS3) do they all share the same platform for the most part? i have a buddy who has a GTO and a G8 GXP so i was just curious i tried looking through wikipedia but i didnt feel like reading though all the BS lol if any of you can summarize the differences that would be great.

(and when i say camaro ss i mean the 5th gens.)
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
GTO was on the V platform, G8 and Camaro are both on the Zeta platform.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
demonspeed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
^ What he said.

Another way to think about it is the GTO was the 4-1/2 gen Camaro and the G8 was the Camaro sedan.

Don't forget the Catera was also on the V platform.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Also, FWIW, I think the G8 was Zeta 1 while the Camaro was technically Zeta 1.5. I think there's a difference in the build process and there's a difference of just over two inches in the wheelbase (G8 being longer).
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
SmokiNstripes6913

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
The 4th gen GTO was based off the Holden Commodore, which originated in Australia.
SmokiNstripes6913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
The GTO, G8, Camaro, and Chevrolet SS all have chassis platforms that originated in Australia (from Holden). The GTO was based on the Holden V-body platform, which dates back to the late 70's. The G8/Camaro/Chevrolet SS all ride on the Zeta platform. The Zeta replaced the V-platform.
The G8 and Chevrolet SS are basically a longer wheelbase, 4-door Camaro.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokiNstripes6913 View Post
The 4th gen GTO was based off the Holden Commodore, which originated in Australia.
GTO was based on the Holden Monaro, which is the 2D version of the Commodore. I had an '06 GTO M6 and a '10 SS M6. Stock for stock the GTO would smoke the SS, unless you had to brake or turn, lol.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
GTO was based on the Holden Monaro, which is the 2D version of the Commodore. I had an '06 GTO M6 and a '10 SS M6. Stock for stock the GTO would smoke the SS, unless you had to brake or turn, lol.
Smoke the ss? How? Ss has more HP, and torque...and is only about 100lbs heavier...I don't buy it.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
omgitsmikeyC
Mike

Drives: 2012 Anniversary 2 SS auto
The GTOs feel faster because the way the weight transfers, but are indeed slower, and handle like a brick. Understeer into oversteer for cornering. The suspension on the Camaro is significantly better with weight management and body roll, making it not feel as fast as you are going.

Metroplex Muscle Car Club
Lonestar Camaro Club
omgitsmikeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
TN 2010 SS

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a 2004 GTO that I traded for my Camaro SS. The GTO handled rather poorly, had slow steering, and the worst brakes I've ever had on any car. The SS does everything well that the GTO didn't.
TN 2010 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
pyroguy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM
Also the GXP G8 is an 09 not an 08. It was a 415 horse/torque LS3 where the GTO only had a 400 horse LS2 in 05 and 06, but only had a 350 horse LS1 in 04. The Chevy SS and G8 are both based on the Aussie Holden Commodore. The Chevy SS is just a rebadged GXP G8 with worse looking body panels and no manual option.
10 Camaro SS/RS | Aqua Blue #823 of 3903 | Silver Stripes

pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro. 2LT/RS; V-Red
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
Smokescreen on the horizon.

Last edited by FLGator75; 08-21-2013 at 01:25 AM.
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
OneSlowV

Drives: 2012 charger 392 , 2012 5.0
Drivers race all the way. Between the ls2 and camaro.
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
delphigto

Drives: 14 1le
I have had all three cars. They all have things they do well. The gto interior and ride was nicer than the camaro. The gto was easier to see out of and more of a luxury/sports car. The camaro has a little harsher ride but is a little faster stock to stock. As far as braking stock to stock hands down goes to the camaro. Both my camaro and gto both ended up with upgraded brakes and suspension and at that point I liked the gto better. However gtos cost more to make fast and take a lot of suspension work to get down the track well. Rear ends, drive shafts, and clutch don't hold up under abuse on the gto. The gto also wont take a very wide rear tire without a mini tub.The two g8s I've owned where my wife's and loved both of them. They are a smooth ride nice interior and never had any problems but never modded them to the gto and camaro extent. I think if you are trying to be as fast as you can be buy a camaro. If you have a family and still want some power buy a g8 or new Chevy ss. If you want a nice riding two door and want to daily drive it I personally like the gto. Outside looks defiantly go to the camaro and g8.
10 2ss ERL 427 530 rwhp sold
14 1ss 1le
delphigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #15
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged
Ive got experience with all three. Prior owner of a Cam/Intake 05 GTO. The GTO IS faster than the 5th gen M6 (only one I have experience with) and the G8 GT (only trim I have experience with) Just, well The V platform is dated and you have to be in ideal conditions for it to be faster. Then it wont be by much, at least against a equally driven 5th gen. I walked G8's all day on the track *cough* and off *cough* in stock and Bolton trim. From a dead stop the 5th Gen will win. the 245's out back does nothing for the GTO. Very hard as previously stated to put meats out back without mini tubing it. I had a custom offset 9" wide rim and could BARELY put 285's out back. Suspension the GTO is very lacking, takes a lot of $ to bring it up to where the 5th gen sits stock. Modding goes anything can be as fast as anything, but in order for the GTO to run with a modded SS well theres a lot more $$ for the same output as a SS with x amount of money invested. The Camaro fixes a lot of problems with the GTO, the biggest being the poor, poor, awful, stock suspension. But as stated above, rougher ride. You start modding the suspension on the Goat, the ride gets rough as well. The 5th gen is a better platform, and so is the G8, hands down. I am one of the few that prefer the styling of the GTO over the Camaro, but to each their own. Out of a performance standpoint I would have to choose a Camaro over a GTO, personal preference, GTO with mods. But for some reason the price on low mileage GTO's are ridiculous so, Il be stepping into a 5th gen. Just my opinion on the matter, take it with a grain of salt. I would never have a G8 however, I hate four doors. With a passion.
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphigto View Post
I have had all three cars. They all have things they do well. The gto interior and ride was nicer than the camaro. The gto was easier to see out of and more of a luxury/sports car. The camaro has a little harsher ride but is a little faster stock to stock. As far as braking stock to stock hands down goes to the camaro. Both my camaro and gto both ended up with upgraded brakes and suspension and at that point I liked the gto better. However gtos cost more to make fast and take a lot of suspension work to get down the track well. Rear ends, drive shafts, and clutch don't hold up under abuse on the gto. The gto also wont take a very wide rear tire without a mini tub.The two g8s I've owned where my wife's and loved both of them. They are a smooth ride nice interior and never had any problems but never modded them to the gto and camaro extent. I think if you are trying to be as fast as you can be buy a camaro. If you have a family and still want some power buy a g8 or new Chevy ss. If you want a nice riding two door and want to daily drive it I personally like the gto. Outside looks defiantly go to the camaro and g8.
Literally the only thing nicer about the GTO's interior is the soft touch dash. Worse seats, worse stereo, waayyy less features. My friend has one and it's definitely not nice.

And for anyone who thinks a stock GTO is faster than a stock M6 SS please pass me whatever you're hitting. This is the first place I've ever heard such idiocy. Reminds me of when G35 boy said LS1 GTOs were better than LS2 GTOs. However, I don't doubt a GTO will beat an L99.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
My m6 SS is and has been faster mod for mod over my friend 05 gto. Sorry I don't know we're these guys get this crap. The ls3 top end walks the gto ls2 topend every time! We raced a bunch of times, and stock for stock, boltons to now cams my car still pulls much harder on top!
Bring on the Bolton 5.0s please!
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
I'd go as far as to say an L99 SS and a GTO would be a drivers race.

I was talking to a GTO driver at a car show Labor Day. There is not a 5TH Gen around that can beat even a stock GTO. The GTO driver told me and everyone all day that he can go from 0-60 in 2 seconds. I didn't know GTO's were that fast. Damn, that means they can totally smoke a new C7
2SS L99, CAI, Kooks Stainless 1 7/8 headers, Kooks Catted Oem Connection Pipe, MBRP Exhaust, MSD LS1 Superconductor 8.5 mm Wires. NKG Copper Spark Plug Set, Full Dyno Tune. BMR G8Trailing Arms - Hammertone and BMR Rear Toe Rods, GFX, Devils Tail Side Stripes, Side Vent Stripes, Synergy Green Door Panels and SS Grill & Trunk Badges .
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
My m6 SS is and has been faster mod for mod over my friend 05 gto. Sorry I don't know we're these guys get this crap. The ls3 top end walks the gto ls2 topend every time! We raced a bunch of times, and stock for stock, boltons to now cams my car still pulls much harder on top!
I agree the Top end on the LS3 is better than the LS2, if it wasn't why would GM have replaced the LS2 so quickly? The intake mani of the LS2 is flat garbage, I mean horrible. Ported my own and it looked like it was glued together, very poorly, nowhere near smooth. Could see the seams inside the runners. Anyways I was speaking from a stock vs Stock from personal experience. Maybe the M6 SS is faster? Maybe I drive a lot better than I give myself credit for? Maybe the guys in this area that rushed out to buy one (overpaying seriously) put 87 in the tank ( a sin in my book) and was running on the low octane table. I never said that it was a slaughter on the GTO's part but I did inch them out in my encounters, never got to race a A6, but from driving one (45th edition) I was greatly disappointed in the cars performance. Mod for Mod the LS3 wins hands down, them things make ridiculous power, ive seen cars come sickening close with headers and tune to the numbers I put down as a cam/intake car with my GTO. I believe the Camaro is the better built better performing car overall, I would be stupid to think or believe otherwise. My opinion is supported by facts gathered in my experience. Has others had the same or different experiences, sure. Same with the LS2 as the LS3, some engines for whatever reason are just stronger than others. My GTO was considered a freak putting down 365 to the rear wheels stock, cant remember the torque numbers but they were just shy under the hp #'s. Again, just my opinion, none of this matters, take it with a grain of salt
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
calebparkin3

Drives: 2012 TF3, 2012 F150, 2013 5.0
I agree the Camaor is the better bulit car. Having said that, there is just something about the GTO that I have always loved! Iv always had a softer spot for Pontiac though..
calebparkin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #21
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
I agree the Camaor is the better bulit car. Having said that, there is just something about the GTO that I have always loved! Iv always had a softer spot for Pontiac though..
Agreed, I liked the modern look and feel of the GTO. The Camaro feels modern but I never was a big fan of the retro design. The Camaro looks amazing and Il own one here soon, but The GTO wins in the looks dept for me!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
The GTO looked like a Sunbird to me. Tamest looking 400HP Muscle car I've ever seen.
Gave me that effect when they first came out, but after it came out, and I eventually bought one... I dunno, there was just something menacing about it. It was subtle and not for everyone but I was in love Ohhh well, divorced, almost time to get hitched again, her names SS...