Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,647
ZL1 rearend noise bulletin

Here is an excerpt from the bulletin.


The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a moan noise from the rear axle during cold start turning maneuvers. In some instances the noise has been described as coming from the front of the vehicle. The noise may start to be noticed as the vehicle accumulates over 3,000 miles.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: Steps 2 – 9 MUST be performed two (2) times for a total drain and fill of three (3) times to have this procedure be effective.
1. With original lube in axle, conduct Freeway Speeds for 10 miles to warm up lube.
2. Immediately drain original lube and refill with fresh lube.
3. In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
4. In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
5. Perform 4 Figure 8’s at (5-10 mph).
6. Freeway Speeds for 20 miles until operating temperature is achieved.
7. In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
8. In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
9. Perform 4 Figure 8’s at (5-10 mph).
10. Immediately drain current lube in axle and refill with fresh lube.
11. Perform Steps 3 thru 9 again.
12. Immediately drain current lube in axle and refill with fresh lube.
This procedure is only to be used for the condition listed above. During regular maintenance, the fluid only needs to be changed one time. The maintenance schedule can be found in the owner’s manual on pages 11-5 and 11-7. For regular service the fluid is changed at 45,000 miles or 72,000 Km and for severe service the fluid needs to be changed every 15,000 miles or 24,000 KM.
Oil Dextron LS Gear 75w90: US - 88862624 2.43 Qt.; Canada - 88862625 2.3L
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
F9744*
Road Test, Drain, and Refill Axle 3 Times
2.6 Hours
* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Bottom of Form
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club
 
Modern07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 #2303
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Heathrow, FL
Posts: 2,894
Yep that's the exact procedure that my dealer used with mine - they phoned me up before taking it out due to the amount of miles they were going to have to put on the car - wanted to make sure I was happy for them to do that.

I said yes, and the problem was fixed when I got it back
__________________
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,307
subscribed - I might just do this myself instead of having the dealer do this. the thought of anyone but myself putting 20 miles on my car makes me cringe.
__________________
bumblebeecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
subscribed - I might just do this myself instead of having the dealer do this. the thought of anyone but myself putting 20 miles on my car makes me cringe.
Same here.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,353
Ridiculous the procedure used 1/4 tank of premium and puts 60 miles on car. I dont see the part says drive 20 miles in between each flush
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
roSSco
∞ Smiles per mile
 
roSSco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White A6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arlington, TN
Posts: 98
I have a constant moan at any speed over 35 mph while decelerating. I assume that it is due to improper lash or break in. I suspect it was during the 44 miles of test drives before I got the car, because I was very easy on it during break in.

What I am trying to say is, is there a chance that the procedure outlined above would be of any benefit to me? I realize I would have to do it since the bulletin does not address my complaint.
roSSco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,353
The procedure did not fix mine so it will be going back
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha
 
DJ-Silver 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 519
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
i had the procedure done as well.... not fixed so it is going back. I found out from the dealership, if the vehicle comes back a second time and still falls under the bulletin, then they can request a new center section and replace it.
__________________

2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
subscribed - I might just do this myself instead of having the dealer do this. the thought of anyone but myself putting 20 miles on my car makes me cringe.
My dealer knows my car does not leave lot without me. They had me drive the car through the procedure with tech in passenger seat
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
...way over the top technical, my head started spinning reading the service bulletin <as presented by the OP>....get it warm, drain the fluid...replace with correct fresh lubricant. Done deal.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
jtulery
 
Drives: 2012 CAMARO ZL1, 2012 CTS-V
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Delaware ohio
Posts: 103
Got it hot change oil to Amsoil oil.

In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles.
In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles. Did it about 500 miles ago
working good !!
jtulery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?
 
G-Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 6,071
Can anyone describe the sound etc tht causes you guys to take the cars in for the rear end problem?

Thanks.
__________________
I don't know where I belong.
I don't know where I went wrong
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
ZL1 TIBS
 
ZL1 TIBS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aston, PA
Posts: 235
I think the real question is, will doing nothing cause damage to the rear. I think probably not. I hear it all the time when cold and to me it is just a normal high performance limited slip rear sound. It sounds like all the procedure is doing is wearing out the clutches.
__________________
Alan Tibbetts
Aston, PA
1968 Chevrolet Camaro getting an LS-1/T56 transplant
2012 CRT 6 SP ZL-1
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
SSNIGHTMARE
 
SSNIGHTMARE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 373
sounds like a good way for your dealer to do some donuts in your car
__________________
04 GMC LB7, SOCAL DIESEL STAGE 2 HEADS, CROWER RODS, TWIN CP3 483 RWHP, 1008 FT/LBS, ATS 5K
02 SS, LSX BLOCK, 500 HP, WAITING ON BOOST
98 COBRA, EAGLE CRANK AND RODS, 568 RWHP, S-TRIM
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"


"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Can anyone describe the sound etc tht causes you guys to take the cars in for the rear end problem?

Thanks.
the sound is a moan that to me sort of sounds like metal on metal almost like a worn out brake pad grabbing the rotor
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...way over the top technical, my head started spinning reading the service bulletin <as presented by the OP>....get it warm, drain the fluid...replace with correct fresh lubricant. Done deal.

I think what they found is there is leftover lashing compound that is causing the problem. I guess this proceedure is the best way to make sure it comes out.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Here is an excerpt from the bulletin.


The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a moan noise from the rear axle during cold start turning maneuvers. In some instances the noise has been described as coming from the front of the vehicle. The noise may start to be noticed as the vehicle accumulates over 3,000 miles.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: Steps 2 – 9 MUST be performed two (2) times for a total drain and fill of three (3) times to have this procedure be effective.
1. With original lube in axle, conduct Freeway Speeds for 10 miles to warm up lube.
2. Immediately drain original lube and refill with fresh lube.
3. In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
4. In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
5. Perform 4 Figure 8’s at (5-10 mph).
6. Freeway Speeds for 20 miles until operating temperature is achieved.
7. In parking lot lock steering to the right, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
8. In parking lot lock steering to the left, and then execute 5 Full Circles at (5-10 mph).
9. Perform 4 Figure 8’s at (5-10 mph).
10. Immediately drain current lube in axle and refill with fresh lube.
11. Perform Steps 3 thru 9 again.
12. Immediately drain current lube in axle and refill with fresh lube.
This procedure is only to be used for the condition listed above. During regular maintenance, the fluid only needs to be changed one time. The maintenance schedule can be found in the owner’s manual on pages 11-5 and 11-7. For regular service the fluid is changed at 45,000 miles or 72,000 Km and for severe service the fluid needs to be changed every 15,000 miles or 24,000 KM.
Oil Dextron LS Gear 75w90: US - 88862624 2.43 Qt.; Canada - 88862625 2.3L
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
F9744*
Road Test, Drain, and Refill Axle 3 Times
2.6 Hours
* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Bottom of Form
What's the bulletin #?
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
What's the bulletin #?

I am waiting for a reply, there were several numbers with it but I wasn't sure which one it was.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 1,025
This one is from an earlier post that I copied to my iPad for quick reference.

Quote:
Relighting this thread...........my ZL 1 started to make differential noises at about 3200 miles when turning.

Took it to my dealer and they came up with the following service document:

#PIP5097: ZL1 Rear Differential Moan Noise On Turns - (Mar 6, 2013)

Requires total fluid drain and refill three times with specified driving requirements in between each drain and fill cycle to bring the fluid up to operating temp and scrubbing of the posi-parts. The correct fluid is GM part #88862624 which retails for about $22.00 USD for each 2.43 Qt bottle and several are used. Shop labor would have been over $300.00. Very sweet that it's a freebee under the PIP.

Routine differential fluid change is at 45k miles unless severe service is the case and then it's every 15k miles.

Hope this helps those who are experiencing similar Grannie Groans from the arse end of their ZL1's.

Cheers - Major Boyd
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly
RLHMARINES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,647
#PIP5097: ZL1 Rear Differential Moan Noise On Turns - (Mar 6, 2013)

That checks #PIP5097 is the correct bulletin #.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by roSSco View Post
I have a constant moan at any speed over 35 mph while decelerating. I assume that it is due to improper lash or break in. I suspect it was during the 44 miles of test drives before I got the car, because I was very easy on it during break in.

What I am trying to say is, is there a chance that the procedure outlined above would be of any benefit to me? I realize I would have to do it since the bulletin does not address my complaint.
I'm guessing your noise is probably improper setup and or a hard break-in as you suggested. Mine made a slight howling noise around 65-70 and around 38-45 under accelleration. If I took my foot off the gas the noise stopped. It wasn't terribly loud, but should have been quiet. The dealer said they couldn't improve on it, and I never pushed the concern. Changing out the fluid with the GM fluid didn't change it.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #22
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 1,025
Here's another TSB from the web:

http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b348822/

Quote:
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Power Train Service Bulletin 348822

NHTSA: Action Number: 10052061 Service Bulletin Number: 348822
Report Date:
Mar 01, 2013Component:
Power Train
Summary: Chevrolet: moan noise from the rear differential while turning. This could occur while driving the vehicle when it is cold. The moan noise comes from the rear axle. *kb
Quote:
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Power Train Service Bulletin 348822
NHTSA Item Number: 10052061 Service Bulletin Number: PIP-5097
Date of Bulletin: Mar 01, 2013 Component: Power Train
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly
RLHMARINES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Silver 2SS View Post
i had the procedure done as well.... not fixed so it is going back. I found out from the dealership, if the vehicle comes back a second time and still falls under the bulletin, then they can request a new center section and replace it.
If you did that, would it still be a "number matching car" (with all the nuances that means depending on what type collector you are)?
__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
This one is from an earlier post that I copied to my iPad for quick reference.
Thank you, very much.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
If you did that, would it still be a "number matching car" (with all the nuances that means depending on what type collector you are)?

It's a Camaro ZL1. I have one, others on here also have them etc,etc! Now if it were a F430 or F458 that are not seen every day then I would consider it collectible!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.