Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
suzook
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony Brook,NY
Posts: 563
replacing stock amp on BA

I will be replacing the stock BA amp with my trusty old kenwood KAC-X4R. This amp has a built in Full DSP with Time Alignment, and parametric EQ options. I am confident this thing will be able to properly EQ the stock BA speakers. As it stands there are too many peaks in the wrong areas making the BA system sound harsh, and canny. Once i receive my Fark harness, and do the install, I will post my results. Im not looking for ear splitting loudness...just quality sound, which i honestly believe the BA speaks can deliver with a quality amp, and some EQ'ing.
__________________
2013 2SS A6 Dusk Edition 1 of 307!
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
JimE


 
JimE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 2,264
I'm sure it will. Many have reported improved sound quality with a simple amp replacement.

Good luck...............
__________________
Perm-a-grin in place.....
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
lfree11012
 
lfree11012's Avatar
 
Drives: Ashen gray 1ss/rs npp
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: delaware
Posts: 331
lfree11012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..
 
FrankT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NC
Posts: 678
I think the stock speakers are up to the task. Good luck on the install. I gutted my entire system and replaced it. I think you'll be pleased with the results.
__________________
Currently in the fleet... 2010 ZR1 Corvette, 2014 Cadillac CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS single turbo, 2014 GMC Sierra SLT crew cab, 1967 Camaro SS350, 1969 Camaro SS427.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47925
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
suzook
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony Brook,NY
Posts: 563
My biggest hurdle is the amp won't fit in the stock location. I'm thinking I could mount it right behind the wheel well....or another option I'm thinking is where the "spare" tire is....I could cut out some of the foam for it to fit nicely on top of it. I will post some pics as I go along....just waiting for my fark....anyone know how long it takes to get it? I ordered Thursday... And still no shipping info.
__________________
2013 2SS A6 Dusk Edition 1 of 307!
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,473
I just think the stock everything is garbage.
they sound muddy they distort, they just have no clarity at all.

same car as the OP and this is by far the worst premium system I have ever had in any car.
I'm not sure even an amp can help this.
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Dual Mode Exhaust CAI Inc CAI
Lethal Racing Stage IV
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
suzook
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony Brook,NY
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
I just think the stock everything is garbage.
they sound muddy they distort, they just have no clarity at all.

same car as the OP and this is by far the worst premium system I have ever had in any car.
I'm not sure even an amp can help this.
They do distort at very high levels...part of the problem is the stock amp. I believe an aftermarket amp will help...as I don't need ear splitting levels....as far as the quality of sound...the amp should help also....along with the eq/DSP settings that are included in the amp I'm installing. Worst case scenario??? I could always swap out the speakers if im not happy with the end result. Btw....i agree that the boston system sucks...def the worst "premium" system in a vehicle.
__________________
2013 2SS A6 Dusk Edition 1 of 307!
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
They do distort at very high levels...part of the problem is the stock amp. I believe an aftermarket amp will help...as I don't need ear splitting levels....as far as the quality of sound...the amp should help also....along with the eq/DSP settings that are included in the amp I'm installing. Worst case scenario??? I could always swap out the speakers if im not happy with the end result. Btw....i agree that the boston system sucks...def the worst "premium" system in a vehicle.
half on the dial even on above CD ripped music. game over.. dont even think about listening to XM at that level.
anything above elevator music with any kind of mild bass = distort.

Mine must be worse than yours because that it far from "ear splitting" levels before it just flat sucks. hell my engine is louder than the stereo by far now.
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Dual Mode Exhaust CAI Inc CAI
Lethal Racing Stage IV
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
half on the dial even on above CD ripped music. game over.. dont even think about listening to XM at that level.
anything above elevator music with any kind of mild bass = distort.

Mine must be worse than yours because that it far from "ear splitting" levels before it just flat sucks. hell my engine is louder than the stereo by far now.
When I swapped the stock BA amp for a JL XD 400 /4, the muddy sound disappeared... The speakers are still not superb, but they do sound much better than with the factory amp.

C3-650 are going in the doors next weekend.... Provided my subthump package arrives...
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. Subthump 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 2,002
Yup...my JL's going in Thursday, and then a 10 hour trip to have steve install my hex vents at his shop. Should be a nice trip to test them out.....
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
I was very happy when I finished mine up.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. Subthump 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
Wired it up the night before...
Attached Images
 
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. Subthump 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 2,002
Clean looking.....
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
suzook
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony Brook,NY
Posts: 563
So in went the amp today...fark harness is well worth the $....BA speaks still sound kinda shitty though..even with all the parametric eq settings I have available. These speakers just suck!....WTF was Chevy thinking with the BA system...while im not a big fan of BOSE....they sound way better than the BA. Oh well guess a new set of focals for the front...ill leave the BA's in the rear. I now have a lil pop when the amp turns on/off now too. Maybe Ill just throw the stock amp back...and just be done with it.
__________________
2013 2SS A6 Dusk Edition 1 of 307!
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
ScottR
 
ScottR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 98
The JL XD400 actually made my factory BA's sound pretty decent. I have three 10's in the trunk so I have the lows cut out of the factory speakers. I was planning on replacing the door speakers with JL but I will probably just keep the BA's for a while now.
__________________
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 2,002
The XD 400 sounds better if adjustments are made and you get the harnesses for the rear speakers done too.. Search for the post on the xd400 adjustments. Gains should be low and crossovers set right
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
45thCamaro

 
45thCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,622
I'm waiting to hopefully catch the xd400 on sale at some point. It seems that's the amp most people have gone with.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
ScottR
 
ScottR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The XD 400 sounds better if adjustments are made and you get the harnesses for the rear speakers done too.. Search for the post on the xd400 adjustments. Gains should be low and crossovers set right
Yes, the FARK kit from SubThump is worth every penny! My gains are set around 1/4, sounds great!
Also want to make sure to put in the resistor so the chimes, etc. are at a normal volume.
__________________
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
45thCamaro

 
45thCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Yes, the FARK kit from SubThump is worth every penny! My gains are set around 1/4, sounds great!
Also want to make sure to put in the resistor so the chimes, etc. are at a normal volume.
Can you give more info about this?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Can you give more info about this?
When you get the FARK kit, there are instructions in there about the resistor and how to install it with your kit. The kit comes with the resistor and the accompanying ground wire that you need for it. Some folks have found that their door chimes get loud with the amp swap. Others have not.
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. Subthump 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
The JL XD400 actually made my factory BA's sound pretty decent. I have three 10's in the trunk so I have the lows cut out of the factory speakers. I was planning on replacing the door speakers with JL but I will probably just keep the BA's for a while now.
I'm going to leave the BA rears . I have a set of JL 650's I ordered for the front.

There was a deal online for C2-650's on amazon for $130... I was originally going to do the c3's... But I couldn't pass up that price on c2's...
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. Subthump 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
45thCamaro

 
45thCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroshark View Post
When you get the FARK kit, there are instructions in there about the resistor and how to install it with your kit. The kit comes with the resistor and the accompanying ground wire that you need for it. Some folks have found that their door chimes get loud with the amp swap. Others have not.
I bought the harness, I have to open the packaging and take a look
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
ScottR
 
ScottR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I bought the harness, I have to open the packaging and take a look
It's taped to a piece of paper inside the package I believe.
__________________
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
suzook
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony Brook,NY
Posts: 563
A lil update.....I have been playing around with the DSP....minor adjustments is all that was needed....system sounds very good...I'm quite pleased now.... I'll keep the stock speaks till I blow them up....lol.
__________________
2013 2SS A6 Dusk Edition 1 of 307!
suzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #25
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
A lil update.....I have been playing around with the DSP....minor adjustments is all that was needed....system sounds very good...I'm quite pleased now.... I'll keep the stock speaks till I blow them up....lol.
A heck of a difference eh?
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. Subthump 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.