Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Camarioli

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Tire Rotation

I have the 20" front and 21" rear wheels. I took it to local Chevy dealer where I bought it for my 7500 mile checkup (bought used but CPO) and tire rotation is part of that. Unfortunately the day before I nicked a curb and got slight curb rash on driver side front wheel. So it was obvious to me tires had not been rotated (side-to-side). Picked it up after service dept. hours so had to wait for a call today. The explanation given to me was these are "directional" tires. To rotate them side to side would require un-mounting them from wheels and turning them around to re-mount and balance on the other side. Advised that this type of rotation is NOT covered under CPO warranty.

1. Is the "directional tire" rotation issue "true?" (i.e. unmount, reverse, re-mount)
2. Is that "covered" under warranty?
Camarioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
GMTool

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
20" on the front and 21" on the rear is not the way it comes stock. If you really have this, then you probably do not have the original stock tires. So maybe they are directional. Stock Pirelli's from the factory are not directional. If you do have directional tires with different diameters on front and rear then it would be true that the tires would have to be removed from the rims in order for them to be on the other side of the car and spin the same direction. What tires do you have, and do you really have 20 on the front and 21 on the rear? I am kind of thinking you mean 20x8 on the front and 20x9 on the rear. Warranty does not cover regular maintenance.

Last edited by GMTool; 07-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.
GMTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Camarioli

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS Convertible
You're right, 20x8 and 20x9 in the rear. They are Pirelli's.
Camarioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
GMTool

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarioli View Post
You're right, 20x8 and 20x9 in the rear. They are Pirelli's.
If they are the stock Pirelli's they are not directional and they can be rotated/switched side to side per owners manual. Wheel and tire both together. You do not have to take tires off of rims. Whoever told you that is wrong. Again, this is regular maintenance, and you will have to pay for this service at a shop. I have rotated mine this way twice so far. Once at 8K miles and then at 16K. I have the relearn tool to reset the TPMS when I rotate them. Im hoping to get at least 25 to 30K miles out of these stock tires.