Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
SPEC-D PU front lip

Buddy with an SS ordered the V6 by accident. Gave it to me for $75 has all the hardware and brackets. I love the flexible PU material.

Big problem.........NO instructions

I have Googled, and searched everywhere. I even Called SPEC-D and CarID (seller of it I think) and they can not find anything??

I can find similar instructions, but not this one. Obviously it screws and rivets in place but does it need body tape? what are the brackets for?

ANY HELP would be appreciated

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Spec D has no instructions ..but sent me this link which is not even the same part

IDIOTS!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Sooooo this is what I got, I can make some assumptions based on holes size.......but this thing is worthless

My degree in Mechanical engineering is worthlessand I have built and designed all kinds of crap for 20 years
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Removed the "80" factory plastic fasteners and then removed the factory flap

Got the two end factory plastic screws to line up have no idea where the four brackets go, or how the middle is supported. Not gonna pay my buddy for this or paint until I know how it lines up.

Do not buy this from CarID or Spec-D, this is crap (yes llama)

Guess you have to ask what is the best cold air intake, or catch can to get some help .......I like my Elite can and have the K&N intake, love them both

Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Saw this same one on ebay. Maybe you can find it and get them to send you instructions.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

There is actually a rep from Spec-D who has been emailing me tonight...I sent her the pictures I posted, and their "engineer" will create some instructions for me...breath held

Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Toms2010

Good luck and let us know what the brackets do.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Here is the response from the factory who supplies K2 and all the other sales shops who have no idea how to install this

Marc,

Okay, they finally told me that the brackets that are provided are to get the lip on there, but the actual lip has to be professionally installed so they can fit extra brackets on there so it wont fall off while driving.

We do not recommend putting any double sided tape on there.

Best Regards,

Elica Nakano
Sales Assistant

Soooo after 3 weeks of jerking me around they are saying that they did not supply enough hardware to hold it on..Let the body shop figure it out? that's just stupid

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

I have now contacted CARiD, K2, and the Spec-D factory..........

If the price is too good to be true, you know the drill......

The PU material is sweet, took paint well, still flexes nice. Looks great hanging in my garage

.......The body shop wants a million dollars to figure it out for them

Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Totally winged this on my own due to lack of sales or manufacturer support

I had an aersol can of "silver streak Mica" from Toyota for my Spyder on the shelf, so I did the primer, wet sand, paint and clear myself

PREP:

- pre-drill all screw holes in the lip (rivet holes are already in the lip)
- 2 short brackets get riveted in the middle smaller holes
- 2 large brackets get riveted in the two smaller outer holes
- 3M Body taped the whole upper edge. 2 pieces (one from each end) meeting in the center with a piece of the tape sticking up on both ("TABS")
- I DID NOT PRE-DRILLTHE BUMPER

PROCESS:

- (6) 2 x 4's to support and hold the tape on tight and the lip in place
the trick is to put the boards at 45 degrees outward to apply pressure throughout the process.
- Remove the 3M tape (starting from the center "TABS)
- install all the black screws making sure they were angled back towards the car. If you do not they will brake thru the front of the lip.
- Add screws to the sheet-metal brackets. These brackets stop the lip from folding back under the car at highway speeds.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Toms2010

That looks pretty sharp. I like it.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You did a great job, it looks awesome.

I'm totally amazed (not surprised) that someone would create and release a product with no sort of instructions? Not like it's a simple plug and play installation.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote