Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #26
LStick

Drives: 2014 1LS Blue Ray
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...nsTypeId=28112

This one is closer to me...........

http://jeffdeals.com/2012-Chevrolet-...-OH/vd/9606160

Last edited by LStick; 07-27-2013 at 01:27 AM.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible Triple Black
Get the 2SS/RS with leather. You won't regret getting the V8 and all the nicer features. Treat yourself.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #28
Bowtiepower00

Drives: '13 1LS IOM, '11 LS 6M (former)
The V6 is a great engine, but its not "Dream Car" material. For a 1LS daily driver, it's fine. For the 'Vert you've always wanted, get the V8 so that you don't have that tiny bit of regret every time you drive it. Before you purchase locally, talk to Becky on here or look around a bit at some other dealers before you pull the trigger to find the best deal.
Bowtiepower00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #29
phongul

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Initially, if you so not really need a convertible, I'd recommend a hardtop with a moon roof! And if you really can't stand the chatter of that's a V6 instead of V8 then get a V8. However, most people undermine the fact that most people won't race ever. So the V8 would just be a costlier investment. But however, it's up to you. For a Concertible 1SS You could actually get a 2SS/RS 1LE for the same price I believe. The convertible itself adds 7/8,000$ which to me isn't worth it but I've seen a lot of people unable to live without a convertible top so it's in the end really up to you. Don't let me influence your decision too much, because at the end of the day, it you who has to like it, not us. I hope this helped.
phongul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
If a dealer locates one I should be able to see it before 100% commiting, right? How does that work?
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
Bowtiepower00

It depends on where it's coming from. If it's coming in from out of state on a dealer trade from another dealer, you are likely going to have to commit first. If it is coming from another branch of the same dealer, you will have more ability to back out. If the car has (major) flaws upon delivery, then you can walk. A lot of this will depend on your dealer and salesperson, find a good one and they will be a LOT easier to deal with.

If you simply want to see the differences between trim levels, and or colors in person, you might have to settle for looking at coupes in person, and driving a couple of different vehicles (a manual trans Coupe, and then an automatic Vert, for example) to get a feel for the car. Not many 1SS manual trans cars out there to begin with, and adding convertible to the mix is going to make one that much harder to find.

The majority of verts that I've seen sitting on dealer lots are 2SS or 2LT autos.

I would find one on the internet, and go look at it in person, even if it's a couple of hours away.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
tohper

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Get what want like they say bud I comprimised a bit summit white with flat black hockey decals first thing I didwas had removed and had inferno orange painted on with a synergy varation I came up with. I wanted a M6 but only one they had I got approved for was 1ss so I declined for the A6 2SS/RS (dot like atm but come winter I will was shot in left forarm by .223 a lot of hardware hurts bad during winter sometimes) I had to go used route for my first time around after I pay this off I plan on custom ordering a LE/RS that can decorate my garage except on weekends and ill keep driving my current one provided I have no suprizes in the next few years
Body-removed stock decals had painted in inferno orange
tohper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
LStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00 View Post
It depends on where it's coming from. If it's coming in from out of state on a dealer trade from another dealer, you are likely going to have to commit first. If it is coming from another branch of the same dealer, you will have more ability to back out. ...................

I would find one on the internet, and go look at it in person, even if it's a couple of hours away.

Ditto---I'd wan't to see the car in person before hand. Having purchased new cars more than a few times in the last 40 years, I've been pleased the majority of the time, but been dismayed by a few on what is passed off as a brand new car.
If I ain't seeing it............I ain't signing .
Old 07-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #34
Ir0nM4n

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ View Post
Dave ..... Think 1SS 1LE.... Can be done for the $40K you're thinking (or less per some forum members that have supposedly done so...) A 323HP V6 is no slouch, but if your heart is thinking V8, better go with it if its in your budget so no regrets later.
We have a winner... I thought the exact same thing, if you want a value added v8, the 1LE is where you want to be.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #35
Bowtiepower00

IMO, the 1LE is definitely the best value in the Camaro family, but it's not available in a 'vert. Do you want maximum performance or the wind in your hair? It's up to the person making the purchase. BTW, unless you order it from Becky at Rodgers, or someone similar, Good luck finding a 1LE Camaro without special ordering it.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Dave. i am 55 and also looking at new. my thoughts are a 2lt coupe and maybe a 1kt vert. u nit sure as verts akot if problems. i have a 98 firebrd t top with 6. I want a fun car too but a v8 is overkill unless u have a place u can go above 75legally. i aint goning to race or mod my car so 320 hp is plenty. i dont want rs package cause of summer tires. ss has summer too. good luck wuth purch. i wrk at a credit union too. great place for financing
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #37
kevinw

I have leather in fureburd and gets hot with t top. clotg in a vert may be better dave. Leather in coupe would be ok. thats why i am looking at 1lt vert with no rs pack or 2lt coupe
Old 07-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #38
DaveA

Hey guys,

I'm duking it out with the dealer now.

They found me a 1SS. Close to what I want but does not have the RS package but has the BA sound system (not something I wanted to pay for).

At first they wouldn't take my voucher as the vehicle is out of state, but magically said they could get it here by 7/31 (when the voucher expires) when I started to walk. After that they wouldn't negotiate down. List price is $41,230 - $1500 rebate - $1000 voucher for $38730. Out the door with 6.25% tax + fees is about $41,649.

What do you guys think?

My main requirements are: Black exterior, convertible, 8cyl, manual transmission. Everything else is cake. I would like RS - those headlights look killer - but not a deal breaker.

Thoughts?

Going far away isn't too practical to me. I'm looking at cost and having to fly somewhere and drive it home - too expensive.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #39
josh5781
silver bullet

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss manual
i would go a 1le, and forget the vert if i had 40k to spend but i didn't so i bought a used 2ss
josh5781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #40
DaveA

Guys how does it work buying out of state? What are my options? Fly somewhere to drive home? I take it I cannot roll tax and license fees into the loan?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #41
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro SS
For over $40k that is crazy for a 1SS and for buying out of state, the only thing you pay for when you get back is registration and plates, all else can be done on your loan.

Mods: Red Bowties, Oracle Interior, Trunk & Licence Plate package, Oracle LED Footwell Kit, Oracle Tinted SMD Sidemarkers, Oracle RGB Mailslot Scanner, Eibach Lowering Springs, Black Weather Tech Mats, Magnaflow Comp Series Axel-Back Exhaust, Tint, Black CAI Intake, Camaro Lighted Doorsills

Future Mods: Headers, Exhaust, Oracle 2 Color Halos and Fogs, BMR 4 point Strut Tower Brace, BMR Sway Bars
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
LStick

I always felt that it was better to deal with the guy that had been sitting on the vehicle all year long, rather than paying big bucks for someone to hit a few keystrokes, and bring a car in, at a premium for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
DaveA

I almost pulled the trigger on the 1SS. A 1SS convertible is hard to find. And most other verts are v6 or 2SS. The 1SS seems to be unusually difficult to find.

I found one a few states over that I'm in love with. MSRP is $45+ and the Internet price is $42k.

The downside is I can't roll sales tax into the loan. I don't think it is possible for out of states loans and since my max loan is $42k anyway. That's not too big of a deal as I had some money set aside for potential down payment. I'm looking at about $3k between taxes and reg fees.

I'm not going to let my desire to own one trump my desire to own my dream one. The 1SS is a fallback if nothing else pans out but I'm not crazy on the price.

I'm checking with some other dealers to see if they can get this one from out of state and give it to me under $42.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #44
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
whatever you do get exactly what you want. it's a big purchase that you won't do often, so get what you want. Can't you just order one, or don't you like the 2014's?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #45
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Nobody can tell you what to buy, but listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Hey guys,

I'm duking it out with the dealer now.

They found me a 1SS. Close to what I want but does not have the RS package but has the BA sound system (not something I wanted to pay for).

At first they wouldn't take my voucher as the vehicle is out of state, but magically said they could get it here by 7/31 (when the voucher expires) when I started to walk. After that they wouldn't negotiate down. List price is $41,230 - $1500 rebate - $1000 voucher for $38730. Out the door with 6.25% tax + fees is about $41,649.

What do you guys think?

My main requirements are: Black exterior, convertible, 8cyl, manual transmission. Everything else is cake. I would like RS - those headlights look killer - but not a deal breaker.

Thoughts?

Going far away isn't too practical to me. I'm looking at cost and having to fly somewhere and drive it home - too expensive.

You should be able to get a 1SS 1LE for the money you can spend. Drive a 1LE after you drive an SS, you will see what I'm talking about. Just did that a few weeks back. Drove all kinds of SS's, automatic and stick. The 1LE is hands down a more fun car. It is awesome, expescially for the price.

Unless you are stuck on the vert, the 1LE is the best bet. I would and did give up the RS for the 1LE. Drive it first then you will make up your own mind. In black the only thing that you will miss are the Halo lights. Important to some. The black ditch molding on the non Rs to me provides a great contrast especially since the 1LE has a flat black grayish black hood and splitter and satin finish spoiler. The standard black wheels look way better, meaner, tougher than the RS wheels.

One thing, it's alot rarer and will attract more attention. Close ratio gearbox is also more fun to drive on winding roads and around time.

Jim
Attached Images

Jims Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I know I'll get more power and start off quicker, but what else is the 8 cylinder good for?
Permagrin, Nuff Said
Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #47
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
If you were told most of the 1SSs are leather, then the dealer was a moron. The 1SS is no leather. If you want leather you have to get 2SS. That is one of the main differences between the 1SS and 2SS. If I were you, I would have one built for you. Price out a 1SS with the 1LE package and dual mode exhaust. The 1LE package is an awesome preformance package on the SS.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #48
Bowtiepower00

I would check with Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet, she can have the car delivered to your local dealer, and has above average price and selection.

The V6 is more than adequate most of the time, but every once in a while, some punk is going to pull up to you and want to run, if that matters at all, step up to the V8. The 'Vert is a heavy car. If you get the V6, you are going to want to mod it to get the performance you want. Gas mileage is pretty much the same V6 to V8, IMO.

I would give up the convertible before I gave up the V8. Unless you are one of the few people who actually ride top down everytime you are in the car.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
kevinw

Are stripes a pain in but over the years? chip on edges wax in edges fading? Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #50
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Guys, he wants a vert, the 1LE is not available as a vert.

I don't have personal experience with Becky Rodgers, but she's sold Camaros to dozen of people on here. I guarantee you she can get you exactly what you want. I think she sells more Camaros than anyone else in America, ha! But give her a chance if no one local comes through.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote