Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
bct10985

 
Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dover, De
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged Red View Post
Don't do it. Find a friend with a car lift. That makes it lots easier.
Dont do this why? Its not structural metal if sealed up properly there is no harm in doing this. I work in a body shop if you saw the way cars are fixed this is nothing.
__________________
ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, FSP cam, Tsp 2" longtubes, Squash dual pumps, Id850s, Aem meth, Jakes stageIII 4L80e, FTI 3600, ZL1 3.73 diff, BMR suspension, 17" weld rts 4.5" M&H skinnies front, carlyle racing 15" conversion mt 325 et street R. 650rwhp mustang dyno. 10.93@125 1.6 60'- m6 stock cam.
bct10985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Nitroman28

 
Nitroman28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
Dont do this why? Its not structural metal if sealed up properly there is no harm in doing this. I work in a body shop if you saw the way cars are fixed this is nothing.

Because he speaks of what he don't know. Like most of the people on this form. I can change my pump in 15min.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
fourmz
Fourmz
 
fourmz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1968 Firebird 1994 Z28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Soldotna,Alaska
Posts: 381
The ZL1 pump can be changed on jackstands in about 1-1-1/2" hours. The biggest pain in the ass is changing it with a full tank so make sure you are close to empty. Other than that it is not a difficult task.
__________________
Black-in-Black/Blue out 2010 2SS/RS LS-3 -Magnacharger TVS2300,OD cog belt drive, 3.4" pulley, Janetty smooth idle blower cam,ID-850 injectors,ZL1 fuel pump,MSD boost a pump, ADM FPCM Janetty custom tune,Doug Thorley long tube headers, Corsa catback,C.A.I. Intake, Roto-Fab Big Gulp Scoop, Monster LT1/SC Clutch assembly,Eibach pro kit plus, BMR cradle/diff bushings, Barton Shifter,JRE 3.91 Eaton Tru-Trac rear diff,Barton Short Throw SHifter, Boss 339 20" wheels,Painted heritage grille, Sparks Restoration Inverted blue/black SS emblems, Seibon BB carbon fiber hood, ZL1 front bumper conversion.
fourmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
oachalon

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct10985 View Post
Dont do this why? Its not structural metal if sealed up properly there is no harm in doing this. I work in a body shop if you saw the way cars are fixed this is nothing.
I would never cut into a body of a car if I didn't have to. By cutting into the body even if you sealed it up you just opened up a spot for corrosion to exist. I would be pissed if I took my car to someone and they just cut a hole in the body to replace the fuel pump. That is not the correct way of doing things. If GM wanted an access panel there, they would have put one there, they didn't.
__________________
2010 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, 3.00" Pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Power LT Headers, LPE Dual Fuel Pump, ID850's, Custom Grind Cam, Katzkin Leather/Suede Interior
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Nitroman28

 
Nitroman28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
I would never cut into a body of a car if I didn't have to. By cutting into the body even if you sealed it up you just opened up a spot for corrosion to exist. I would be pissed if I took my car to someone and they just cut a hole in the body to replace the fuel pump. That is not the correct way of doing things. If GM wanted an access panel there, they would have put one there, they didn't.

We could if all day. If GM wanted a Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, 3.25" Pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Power LT Headers, MSD BAP they would have put it there. But that didn't stop you. GM didn't put a panel there so you would have to bring it to them to get it fix when it goes out. My 02 Impala had a factory access panel.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
oachalon

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
We could if all day. If GM wanted a Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, 3.25" Pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Power LT Headers, MSD BAP they would have put it there. But that didn't stop you. GM didn't put a panel there so you would have to bring it to them to get it fix when it goes out. My 02 Impala had a factory access panel.
So you proved my point. Your 02 Impala has an access panel and your Camaro does not. There is a reason why GM did not put one in the Camaro and did put one in the Impala. 98% of the people with or without an access panel are still not going to fix their car themselves. The last thing I want is to cut a hole where there is not supposed to be a hole. They might not have put an access panel there for many reasons, possibly concerns of vapors, exhaust gases, structural integrity that you dont know about, possibly salt kicks up there in the winter, etc. The proper way to replace the fuel pump in this car is to drop the tank not to cut a hole in the body.
__________________
2010 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, 3.00" Pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Power LT Headers, LPE Dual Fuel Pump, ID850's, Custom Grind Cam, Katzkin Leather/Suede Interior
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632


Use a dremel. Cut VERY shallow, ONLY as deep as the metal is thick because the lines could be up close to the bottom of the metal.

When all done I sanded and primered the edges, put a heavy bead of caulking around the square and put down a super thick piece of reinforced rubber from a used conveyor belt.

Right or wrong I did it and I'm glad I did. Bash me if you want but it's my car and Ill do as I please. GM didn't put an access hole, doesn't mean you shouldn't add one. GM didn't put a supercharger either but everyone here added one.
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.

Last edited by dan0617; 07-30-2013 at 07:52 PM.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #22
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632
Put in the ADM FPCM while you are in there and have your tuner put the parameters in your tune. If you don't have a tune yet and are going with remote tuning consider Jannetty with the SCT, you won't regret it. If you are going for big power go with a twin pump now. 600 rwhp or more put in a MSD BAP with the ZL1 pump and the ADM FPCM. That is a nice setup but price quickly approaches the twin pump setup.

550 rwhp through auto = 600 rwhp if stick. ZL1 pump and ADM FPCM will handle that. Won't handle much more without BAP. With BAP added you should be good to about 650 or so through auto. AFR might look good above these numbers but FP will start trailing off. At that point you are relying on your injector size to "make up the difference" and save the day.

Large injectors, like the ID850's, add a nice safety cushion and allow alot of room to grow but they aren't cheap!
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.

Last edited by dan0617; 07-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Guys, if I decided to go the MSD 'BAP' route at this point, I assume that I could still upgrade to the ZL1 pump later, correct? I'm just not sure if I will go much past 500-550 rwhp? Just trying to weigh all of the options
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632
You 100% for sure absolutely can. I have no idea how much rwhp the stock pump and MSD BAP is good for. I love my MSD but never used it with the stock pump so I can't help you on that one.

I have datalogs that show the ZL1/ADM combo running out of steam on an L99 with headers and 11.5 psi at about 6100 Rpms. I then installed a BAP and am good to 12 psi and a 125 shot up through 6250 Rpms. No dyno papers tho, not how I dial it in.
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
You 100% for sure absolutely can. I have no idea how much rwhp the stock pump and MSD BAP is good for. I love my MSD but never used it with the stock pump so I can't help you on that one.
I have Jannetty do all of my tuning as well. He says that the stock pump with the MSD is actually better than some people think. Should be good for up to 550 rwhp, but probably not more? That's my issue. I will likely stop at this level and he's pretty confident that the stock pump/MSD combo will be just fine. It's good to know that if I decide to go this route, I can upgrade to the ZL1 pump later. I think my bigger road block to getting any more than 550 rwhp will be my LS9 injectors? I'm not sure what level they are good to? Another reason that I might stop at 550 rwhp. Thoughts.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632
I love my ID850 injectors. I was using the LS9 injectors at first but when I saw my pressure dropping and the injectors were near maxed out, I knew I wasn't far from a disaster.

In all honesty you can get away with pressure trailing off a little if the injectors are oversize, and you can get away with injectors running near max if your fuel system keeps the pressure up, but being borderline with both is playing with fire.

500 to 550 rwhp through the auto is no slouch. If you just put in a BAP then make sure you datalog and watch pressure and injector duty cycle closely. I think your injectors and your fuel supply will both be about maxed out.

IMO I would at least do the ZL1/ADM combo. ID 850 injectors would be next. Maybe not a necessity at this point but the LS9's will be up in duty cycle and leave no safety margin. MSD can always be added in the future. I know it isn't cheap but you are likely not far from being maxed out already.
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
I love my ID850 injectors. I was using the LS9 injectors at first but when I saw my pressure dropping and the injectors were near maxed out, I knew I wasn't far from a disaster.

In all honesty you can get away with pressure trailing off a little if the injectors are oversize, and you can get away with injectors running near max if your fuel system keeps the pressure up, but being borderline with both is playing with fire.

500 to 550 rwhp through the auto is no slouch. If you just put in a BAP then make sure you datalog and watch pressure and injector duty cycle closely. I think your injectors and your fuel supply will both be about maxed out.

IMO I would at least do the ZL1/ADM combo. ID 850 injectors would be next. Maybe not a necessity at this point but the LS9's will be up in duty cycle and leave no safety margin. MSD can always be added in the future. I know it isn't cheap but you are likely not far from being maxed out already.
Ok, thanks man. I appreciate the advice.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
bmbbl be

 
bmbbl be's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: tallmadge, ohio
Posts: 1,308
I have 60# injectors 3.6 pulley with just ZL1 fuel pump and 586 rwhp,,, all is ok,,,
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.