Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Fred 6528
 
Fred 6528's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss
Join Date: May 2013
Location: va
Posts: 322
5th gen Camaro in 2053?

In 1967 the Camaro was on it's way to become a collectors car, now after more than 40 years we know how people feel about the 1st gens. So 40 years from now how do you think people will feel about the 5th gen?
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Jeffm
ICANHAZ
 
Jeffm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Skiatook, Ok
Posts: 984
pile of crap while we are flying Camaro Spaceships by Chevy
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Diode Dynamics

 
Diode Dynamics's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,464
I think the real question is, will there still Chevy's in 2057?

Who knows what the future holds for our beloved car hobby...we will probably all be driving electric cars or something bleh!

Nick C.
__________________
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 944
We will be driving camaro's with electric engines lol
__________________
"From ZERO to a Tire-Burning HERO!"


Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro
 
colemanvoice's Avatar
 
Drives: MOTL3Y
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cumming GA
Posts: 1,307
I'll still be driving my 2010.


...wait a minute, I'll be 86 then, if still here. What do I care!
__________________
colemanvoice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
In 1967 the Camaro was on it's way to become a collectors car, now after more than 40 years we know how people feel about the 1st gens. So 40 years from now how do you think people will feel about the 5th gen?

Who says that in '67 it was on its way to being a collector car? You're making an assumption. In 1967 it was a just new model car. Popular, sure. People didn't regard the average car as an investment. In the '80s, yuppies started getting nostalgic for the cool cars they saw as kids and suddenly cool old cars from the '60s were worth money. The 1967 Camaro was not a guaranteed collector car. In fact the '67 wasn't even that good a car. And before anybody comments, two words about the sacred 1967 Camaro: wheel hop.

The 5Gen Camaro is a mass produced car in a world of mass produced cars. It will be an interesting dinosaur in a giant junkyard filled with interesting dinosaurs
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
fz4k98
 
Drives: 2013 1ss
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: WI.
Posts: 159
I had a 67, paid $500 for it used. It came from the factory with a 6 cyl and 3 on the tree. When I was done playing with it it had a big block and 4 speed.

If you ever get a chance park a 5th gen next to one and walk around. They were real small when you see them compared.

I never saw the 67 as a collector at the time but most people didn't look at cars as collectors back then but as drivers.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
DagoCountyGee

 
DagoCountyGee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North County
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanvoice View Post
I'll still be driving my 2010.


...wait a minute, I'll be 86 then, if still here. What do I care!
With what gas there won't be any left :/
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
So 40 years from now how do you think people will feel about the 5th gen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I think the real question is, will there still Chevy's in 2057?
Let's see... 2013 + 40 = 2057? Hmmmmm.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,627
Who knows what the future will hold, but I will tell you one thing.

years from now when I look back on the 5th gen Camaro, I'm going to think to myself....."DAMN that is a good looking car!".

My opinion, but its the best looking Camaro of them all, right there with the first gen model. To me, the other gens, while still good looking, are not up there with those two.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
tjk_art
 
tjk_art's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
Join Date: May 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
pile of crap while we are flying Camaro Spaceships by Chevy
People can't even drive when their cars are firmly planted on the ground by gravity. No way in hell anyone is opening up the sky for these bafoons.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
menendez1293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
People can't even drive when their cars are firmly planted on the ground by gravity. No way in hell anyone is opening up the sky for these bafoons.
Who said anything about someone driving? In 40 years there probably won't be a steering wheel in a car anymore like I-Robot
__________________
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
AWSME SS
 
AWSME SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 707
I'll be worms in the dirt by then.(or in a spaceship waste basket)
AWSME SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
oldfriend


 
oldfriend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32*38' 49N. 16*55'42W
Posts: 7,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I think the real question is, will there still Chevy's in 2057?

Who knows what the future holds for our beloved car hobby...we will probably all be driving electric cars or something bleh!

Nick C.
The OP is talking about 2053 okay

So don't get too far ahead just yet !
__________________
2010 BLK 2SS RS IO
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
oldfriend


 
oldfriend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32*38' 49N. 16*55'42W
Posts: 7,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
People can't even drive when their cars are firmly planted on the ground by gravity. No way in hell anyone is opening up the sky for these bafoons.
It will be imported from China , so it's not going to be a GM thing
__________________
2010 BLK 2SS RS IO
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
DagoCountyGee

 
DagoCountyGee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North County
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Who said anything about someone driving? In 40 years there probably won't be a steering wheel in a car anymore like I-Robot
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-2020/2708895/
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
2012-1822


 
2012-1822's Avatar
 
Drives: Black ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: City of Champions, Alabama
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanvoice View Post
I'll still be driving my 2010.


...wait a minute, I'll be 86 then, if still here. What do I care!
Best answer.

The question is how much will my niece get for my car at auction after I die?
__________________
Check out Alabama Camaros, for Camaro enthusiasts all around Alabama https://www.facebook.com/groups/1739...group_activity
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 32,084
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Who said anything about someone driving? In 40 years there probably won't be a steering wheel in a car anymore like I-Robot
The Audi TT in iRobot still had a steering wheel.

And don't expect too much from the Camaro. Buying a car as an investment is just stupid in so many ways.

I have to chuckle to myself a little every time I hear about someone buying a Camaro and storing it away with the plastic still on the seats, never driving it, expecting to become a millionaire off of it in the future. It's not a Lamborghini Veneno or Ferrari LaFerrari. GM has built thousands.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 6,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
It will be imported from China , so it's not going to be a GM thing
But China will be our 57th state by 2053...
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99
CAI Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
Squillo

 
Squillo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,003
__________________

Performance
AirAid CAI
Apex Motorsports ported spiraled Throttle Body
Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and 3" mid-pipes (cat delete)
Hurst shifter
Dyno Tune

Cosmetic
Camaro badge GOBO door lights
"SS" badge GOBO hood and trunk lights
Blacked out side markers with 30% tint
Blacked out tail lights with 30% tint
Afterburner tail lights
Blue / white color changing headlight and foglight HALOs
Blue LED upper and lower grille accent lights
30% tint windows
Plasma fog light bulbs
DRL harness
"BDMFER" Hawaii state issued license plates
"Bad Mother****er" custom blue lighted door sills
Blacked out bow ties
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Who says that in '67 it was on its way to being a collector car? You're making an assumption. In 1967 it was a just new model car. Popular, sure. People didn't regard the average car as an investment. In the '80s, yuppies started getting nostalgic for the cool cars they saw as kids and suddenly cool old cars from the '60s were worth money. The 1967 Camaro was not a guaranteed collector car. In fact the '67 wasn't even that good a car. And before anybody comments, two words about the sacred 1967 Camaro: wheel hop.

The 5Gen Camaro is a mass produced car in a world of mass produced cars. It will be an interesting dinosaur in a giant junkyard filled with interesting dinosaurs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
And don't expect too much from the Camaro. Buying a car as an investment is just stupid in so many ways.

I have to chuckle to myself a little every time I hear about someone buying a Camaro and storing it away with the plastic still on the seats, never driving it, expecting to become a millionaire off of it in the future. It's not a Lamborghini Veneno or Ferrari LaFerrari. GM has built thousands.
I agree with the above two folks. While we love our 5th gens, we need to remember it's a mass produced car. Now if we're talking about COPOs or Z/28s then we might see a premium years from now but honestly the base model, SS, 1LE, and ZL1s are far too mass produced to have a big value after 40 years.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
VRYALT3R3D
 
VRYALT3R3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS RS //cancelled order//
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North America
Posts: 182
lol at buying a mass produced car for an investment. lol
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
chef-beavis

 
chef-beavis's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, family truckster
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 950
Playing devil's advocate because I'm saving mine for my pleasure only, but people have been beating that drum of "It will never be worth anything." for years and they are nearly always wrong. I'll grant you, there are far better investments with better returns for your time and money, but some of these cars will go for big money one day. So long as a car incites passion and fond memories, someone will always will willing to part with large sums of cash to recapture a moment. Camaro does that. Always has. Always will.

Even the lesser-loved models and years go for more now than many thought they ever would and it is only going up.
chef-beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #24
chef-beavis

 
chef-beavis's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, family truckster
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 950
To my point:

12X37 1969 Camaro Total Camaro coupes built. N/A 225,512
12X67 1969 Camaro Total Camaro convertibles built. N/A 17,573
12XXX 1969 Camaro Total 1969 Camaro production. N/A 243,085

Ours are mass-produced? Too many built? About 2/5 of the 1969 production per year.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/19...les&sf2Dir=ASC

69 of them listed on cars.com, priced from $17,450-$131,111; they made a QUARTER OF A MILLION of them that year.

Again, in most cases not a good $ strategy but to state they will never reach a value based on production numbers is not always correct.
chef-beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Playing devil's advocate because I'm saving mine for my pleasure only, but people have been beating that drum of "It will never be worth anything." for years and they are nearly always wrong. I'll grant you, there are far better investments with better returns for your time and money, but some of these cars will go for big money one day. So long as a car incites passion and fond memories, someone will always will willing to part with large sums of cash to recapture a moment. Camaro does that. Always has. Always will.

Even the lesser-loved models and years go for more now than many thought they ever would and it is only going up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
To my point:

12X37 1969 Camaro Total Camaro coupes built. N/A 225,512
12X67 1969 Camaro Total Camaro convertibles built. N/A 17,573
12XXX 1969 Camaro Total 1969 Camaro production. N/A 243,085

Ours are mass-produced? Too many built? About 2/5 of the 1969 production per year.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/19...les&sf2Dir=ASC

69 of them listed on cars.com, priced from $17,450-$131,111; they made a QUARTER OF A MILLION of them that year.

Again, in most cases not a good $ strategy but to state they will never reach a value based on production numbers is not always correct.
To others' points though -- how many vehicles produced in 1968 rusted within a handful of years? How many cars built in 1968 saw 1 million miles compared to vehicles built today which are seeing such? Our cars now are built to last - not rust out like the 60's and 70's cars did - so while I agree there will be a passion for these cars, I disagree on the value they'll bring. The "muscle cars" of days past bring in the money they do because back then people were DRIVING them, beating the snot out of them, and enjoying them. There weren't a ton of people squirreling them away as an investment - at least not the "every day models." The cars are worth what they are today because a well-kept, prime vehicle from the 60's and 70's is harder and harder to find. Today, though, because of Barrett Jackson and the high prices we're seeing from those older muscle cars, it seems like there's a huge portion of people who are buying these cars and squirreling them away as an investment -- there's going to be so many of these cars still around 40-50 years from now that I personally do not think they're going to bring the values many folks are hoping for. They'll still incite a passion, but it'll be easy to find these cars still around years from now IMHO.
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.