Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HURST
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
fastgun
 
fastgun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: alabama
Posts: 46
1 mph over can get you a ticket if they want to give you one. In my neck of the woods they will not pull you over until you are about 10 over the limit. I have found if you are nice and respectful, they will more than likely warn you if you are not doing something completely stupid. Be a butt to them and you will most definitely get a ticket. 5 mph over will probably get dismissed if you play nice.
__________________
My babies!!
fastgun is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5
 
MichaelH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,495
I've actually heard from family and friends who are cops/police chiefs that they won't pull you over unless your doing 10 because it is a waste of time and money for the courts and it isn't worth it to them
__________________
2013 ZL1 M6 - Mods-in the works

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
NotYetLegend
 
NotYetLegend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 339
Thanks Rohdeo and bb, that does shed some light on the situation. And yes, for God's sake Memphis just finish the damn road work!
__________________
"Driving is the only thing I love about f1."
(Kimi Raikkonen)
NotYetLegend is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 1,243
Just keep in mind that if you go to court (and the officer shows up) he will certainly say that he clocked you at 61 but he only wrote you up for 5 over because he was giving you a break. Not that you still couldn't beat it, but it puts you on the spot. That is a common tactic here. The cops just want to raise revenue. They only write you up for 5 over or sometimes even for a non-moving violation like impeding traffic. Those lesser offenses won't affect your insurance so most people don't fight it.

I think it varies by state, so I would check if 5 mph results in points on your license or not. If not, your insurance will most likely not be affected. If you go to court I would expect the officer to be there. This 'construction' area sounds like a speed trap to me, and there will probably be a whole line of people in court. There sure was both times I fought speeding tickets. It was amazing how fast they settled each case. It became very clear that it was a well oiled money making machine.
JR 1 is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
NotYetLegend
 
NotYetLegend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Just keep in mind that if you go to court (and the officer shows up) he will certainly say that he clocked you at 61 but he only wrote you up for 5 over because he was giving you a break. Not that you still couldn't beat it, but it puts you on the spot. That is a common tactic here. The cops just want to raise revenue. They only write you up for 5 over or sometimes even for a non-moving violation like impeding traffic. Those lesser offenses won't affect your insurance so most people don't fight it.

I think it varies by state, so I would check if 5 mph results in points on your license or not. If not, your insurance will most likely not be affected. If you go to court I would expect the officer to be there. This 'construction' area sounds like a speed trap to me, and there will probably be a whole line of people in court. There sure was both times I fought speeding tickets. It was amazing how fast they settled each case. It became very clear that it was a well oiled money making machine.
Wisdom BOMB!!! Haha, I love it, you make lots of sense to me.
__________________
"Driving is the only thing I love about f1."
(Kimi Raikkonen)
NotYetLegend is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
cadyshac
It's in the hole!
 
cadyshac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS L99 SGM 2013 2SSRS LS3 BRM
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,325
If you go to court and are found innocent would you still have to pay the court costs? I thought you would get out of that too?
cadyshac is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,017
I got a ticket earlier this year on Houston Levee doing 60 in a 45 by two moto Cops using Lidar. They were riding opposite direction and talking up a storm when I went past. They took a second to turn around. No traffic around me or them either. I tried to get it dropped in court, but Shelby County Sheriff's rarely drop tickets for me. City police do all the time for me.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,017
Also, I never do 45mph on that stretch of 240 and blow by cops all the time.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 7,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
I've actually heard from family and friends who are cops/police chiefs that they won't pull you over unless your doing 10 because it is a waste of time and money for the courts and it isn't worth it to them
I've heard same.
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon
 
greenrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Near Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,395
Hmmm, the LEO, According to the OP, said you were doing 61 in a 45 mph construction zone. I would pay the fine and move along in life.

Sorry guys, but the LEO was pretty generous in issuing a ticket for only 5 mph over. That ain't chicken sh*t, that's being pretty generous.

Trust me, my family has had their share of interesting contretemps with the Police. Some of which were pretty darn silly. But, that's not something for discussion here.
__________________
Member Illinois Camaro Club
His Name is Rosie - "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick!" - If you know who said that, then you know the genesis of his name.
greenrail is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
Switchin2Chevy

 
Switchin2Chevy's Avatar
 
Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Milton, FL
Posts: 816
Definitely fight it.
__________________
Now driving : 15' Mustang GT 6spd
Previously : 10' 2LT/RS Rally Yellow 6spd
Switchin2Chevy is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac
 
Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 1,375
To why we need to traffic officers - please remember they are not the bad guy, they are doing their job and if you're polite they will most likely give you a break like he did. No matter how inconvenient slow speed limits are you still have to obey them. Especially while in a sporty car like a Camaro that is major prey for tickets.

A good portion of the highway north of me is under construction and has been in parts for years. Speed limit is at 60mph. Took the Camaro on a road trip and had to go through it, just got in the right lane and did exactly 60mph. Others were flying past me and got pulled over by hidden cops. Just not worth the money, time and aggravation to deal with a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
If you go to court and are found innocent would you still have to pay the court costs? I thought you would get out of that too?
Pretty sure court costs are court costs, I've never been to court but think that's the whole point of court costs lol
__________________
Ringo64 is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
gajagfan


 
gajagfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Hmmm, the LEO, According to the OP, said you were doing 61 in a 45 mph construction zone. I would pay the fine and move along in life.

Sorry guys, but the LEO was pretty generous in issuing a ticket for only 5 mph over. That ain't chicken sh*t, that's being pretty generous.

Trust me, my family has had their share of interesting contretemps with the Police. Some of which were pretty darn silly. But, that's not something for discussion here.
I'm with you. First, wee if it will put points on your license, which in GA it would not. Two, See how much the fine is. Three, compare the fine to the time missed at work and the hassle. The last ticket I got for 5 over was only like $40 dollars. I just paid it and went on, and it cost me no points on my license. I have much bigger fish to fry!
gajagfan is online now  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,778
You are lucky that he didn't give you the complete ticket for 61 in a 45 MPH construction zone. They have those speed limits because so many highway workers are killed while just trying to do their job.
Those of you that say the blow through those zones without slowing down better think it over. Most construction zones also have a while workers are present stipulation for slowing down. So if they are working SLOW DOWN! They may have families at home.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.