Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Well after reading all the posts I think the smart thing for me to do is to install the stock rotors back on and ditch the drilled ones! For my style of driving, that being novice, I have decided to go with HP+ pads with the stock rotors and calipers, and Motul 600 fluid. Next year as I graduate to intermediate driving I'll definatly invest in CTS-V upgrade for the front and maybe Cobalt Friction pads like TBone runs! This way I can have time to save some mod money and still participate in a couple HPDE's now, well after winter anyway!
Good plan. The stock brakes are surprisingly good when used with the HP+ pads. The HP+ are very rotor friendly and the pads are inexpensive compared to some of the others. Keep us posted!
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
really cant recommend any hawk pads for any type of track driving. to many horror stories including mine have been all over this forum. they just dont have the heat range needed. sucks to have a pad disintegrate in a hard braking zone.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #28
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
really cant recommend any hawk pads for any type of track driving. to many horror stories including mine have been all over this forum. they just dont have the heat range needed. sucks to have a pad disintegrate in a hard braking zone.
Yikes, can you share a link to a thread to shed some light on this?
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.78: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:57.47: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354128
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
I've read that the HPS pads fade bad but I don't recall seeing any negatives with the HP+.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
I've read that the HPS pads fade bad but I don't recall seeing any negatives with the HP+.
What sold me on the HP+ was that Ron Fellows School at Spring Mountain is running them in probably 20 Corvettes with good success. I also like that I can drive them on the street with low noise compared to a more aggressive pad. And because they're rotor friendly, I likely won't have to turn my rotors next time or worry about rotor wear, just swap the pads myself.

But if there are horror stories out there, I'd like to hear them. I've heard they can squeak, but I've yet to hear them squeak and they are certainly quieter than a full track pad.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #31
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Yea I'd like to hear any comments or experiences with them too! Maybe I'll start another thread asking about HP+ reviews.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #32
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
My experience with HP+ pads were they squeeled constantly unless you were driving hard on the track...my Cobalt Friction pads only occasionally make noise on the street....
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #33
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
HP+ were ok on shorter tracks but the faster I got the worse they got. Went DTC-30's and 6-pistons for now but will upgrade pads again when they wear out. Will be trying cobalt friction as well.
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #34
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
You'll love the Cobalt Friction pads...they work great!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #35
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
DAMN Tbone, i'm impressed, lol

Mike, i think you will be fine, just keep in mind when you are driving that if the brakes feel 'funny' at all it's time for a cool down lap or two. As you progress with things the Cobalt Friction Pads are very very good. I run the HP+ on the Street, and the Cobalt Friction at the Track, both with the DBA 5000/4000 Combo. This on the GTO with Brakes that are a lot smaller than your Camaro has on it.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #36
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
DAMN Tbone, i'm impressed, lol

Mike, i think you will be fine, just keep in mind when you are driving that if the brakes feel 'funny' at all it's time for a cool down lap or two. As you progress with things the Cobalt Friction Pads are very very good. I run the HP+ on the Street, and the Cobalt Friction at the Track, both with the DBA 5000/4000 Combo. This on the GTO with Brakes that are a lot smaller than your Camaro has on it.
Thanks Rob! How's the new shop working out?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
Orange Crush 1LE

Thanks for the info. Next time I need to turn or replace my rotors, I'll try the Cobalt Friction pads. For now I'll stick with the HP+, as they work well on the tracks that I drive.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
Rob@WretchedMS

Quote:
Thanks Rob! How's the new shop working out?
It's going very well actually, just need more Camaro's to work on, lol
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #39
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
It's going very well actually, just need more Camaro's to work on, lol
Wish I lived closer! I'm doing a Pedders FE4 sway upgrade soon. I should be able to tackle it myself on jackstands and take it to a local shop for an alignment!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #40
td195f

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE - Mine on 5/17
Mike,

Hawk HP+'s are the pads I had on at Watkins Glen that I ended up taking off after I got the meatball flag two mornings in a row for sparks from the front wheels. The Trackmasters mechanic and I both found no reason fort the sparks. No signs of rubbing at all. After the second time we decided it had to be the pads. I put the stock Brembo pads back on and my instructor and I thought there was no difference in braking. Some people felt that the temp range of the HP+ pads are not high enough for a 4000 pound car and the braking required with the speeds at Watkins Glen. I won't run them again.
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #41
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by td195f View Post
...I put the stock Brembo pads back on and my instructor and I thought there was no difference in braking. Some people felt that the temp range of the HP+ pads are not high enough for a 4000 pound car and the braking required with the speeds at Watkins Glen. I won't run them again.
^^This is good to know. Im running the stock pads at the moment and they seem to perform ok for the track I run which has fast long straights similar to the Glen. My future plans are to use cobalt friction pads on Racing brake rotors.

F/S: New SW rocker panels, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318642

F/S: 1LE front brakes, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374575

F/S: 27mm adjustable front and 28mm rear sway bars http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374583
White_SS/RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #42
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
My HP+ pads with racing bake rotors up front were fine at the Daytona road course but one day at Sebring on the short course and they were toast. I started getting less stopping power in the second part of the 3rd session and at the end of the 4th session they went out, luckly as i was exiting the track. I will be looking to do a CTS-V upgrade which ironically I have for sale or Cobalt Friction pads for track days.

The HP+ plus pads stop much better than the stock pads and have geat initial bite, but IMO are better suited for autocross.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #43
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Quote:
Mike,

Hawk HP+'s are the pads I had on at Watkins Glen that I ended up taking off after I got the meatball flag two mornings in a row for sparks from the front wheels. The Trackmasters mechanic and I both found no reason fort the sparks. No signs of rubbing at all. After the second time we decided it had to be the pads. I put the stock Brembo pads back on and my instructor and I thought there was no difference in braking. Some people felt that the temp range of the HP+ pads are not high enough for a 4000 pound car and the braking required with the speeds at Watkins Glen. I won't run them again.
Oh yea, now I remember you telling me about that! I forgot that the sparking pads were HP+. Thanks for reminding me Rich! Back to the drawing board. Maybe just stock pads for now then graduate to Cobalt Friction? There's gotta be a middle solution though!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #44
Rob@WretchedMS

there is a reason that race pads are expensive, lol
Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #45
gotroost

Drives: IOM 2SS RS
My story FWIW.

Picked up some used DBA 5000 rotors on the front and Powerslots on the rear.

Worked great in HPDE2 with stock pads and ATE DOT4 Super Blue.

Tried same setup on same track with HPS pads. Boiled the ATE fluid and braking didn't feel as goods at stock pads. Only changed pads since stockers were getting low. Long 2.5 mile track with 20 minute sessions.

Graduated to HPDE3 even with sucky brake setup. Now running Castrol SRF fluid, Hawk DTC70 pads up front and DTC60 pads in the rear. Car slows down great and was able to run mid pack with the HPDE3 guys and my new setup after a couple of sessions. No fade issues. Bias seems forgiving even when I do something not so smart like tapping them in a corner or locking them up when un-weighted on an uphill then a running on a flatter spot.

I do run track tires and the pads are really easy to change between track days. I put the Hawk HPS pads on for street config, but will probably go back to stockers when the HPS wear out since I don't notice a significant difference on the street. Just slather the pads down with Hi Temp caliper lube when going back to street. Who cares about dust and noise at the track.

BTW - Just started running the Nitto NT01s and love them. Seems like more grip than the Toyo Proxes R888s and they heat up much quicker.

Mods: JRE 470 cam kit, Dynatech long tubes/hi-flo cats, SLP underdrive pulley, CAI intake/ADM scoop, Pfadt Stage 2 suspension, Hotchkiss strut tower brace, Proven Wicked tow hook and end links, DBA rotors, some bloody knuckles, still in progress...
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Mike,

Your warning is duly noted with thanks, td. I'm about to sign up for a track day at NJMP, and even though my speeds there will be slower than yours at the Glen and my car being 300 lbs or so lighter than yours, I'd still rather go into it expecting to err on the side of caution even with HP+ as an upgrade from HPS and OE.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #47
Rob@WretchedMS

Thunderbolt or Lighting?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Lightning.

Norm
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #49
Rob@WretchedMS

Nice, would love to get back there, I've run that once, and Thunderbolt a bunch of times. Lightning is a lot more flowing than Thunderbolt is, very fun track, all though turn 1 being blind can be a bit nerve racking the first few times, lol
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #50
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Nice, would love to get back there, I've run that once, and Thunderbolt a bunch of times. Lightning is a lot more flowing than Thunderbolt is, very fun track, all though turn 1 being blind can be a bit nerve racking the first few times, lol
Tell me about it. I had a car spin just past the crest as I was coming up to it, and I'd gotten all the way past the T1 flag station before any yellow flag was thrown (supposedly another car had dropped some antifreeze). Spinning car was still in motion as I went around it, and he ultimately went backwards at least 2-off. But truth be known, I felt better about getting T1 somewhere near right than I did with T5.

Coming down?

Norm