Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #103
Unfair
Banned
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I can't wait to crush a GT500 at the track. I'm tired of reading about how great the GT500 is. It's overrated.
boy are you in for a surprise... gt500's can do much better than 12.8, try 12.3-12.4 just letting you know so you aren't shocked when you didn't crush one.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #104
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
It seems like most of these rags' can't drive a car for crap. It's not always the case, but I agree that 'Stang should've run quicker. You can totally tell how the car's driven by the 60'. Also, I don't think most rags' powershift, so there's some more time wasted.

I'd leave it to good magazines, like MM&FF and GMHTP, among a very few others, to run times that are more representative to running cars all-out.

JMVHO.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #105
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Karfan - I'm sorry to have merged this into the current thread. You posted in the right Section, but I wanted to keep multiple topics together. Again - right place, just moved to a thread in another Section with the same article.

Thanks
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #106
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
This goes both ways, I have a total of $40,000 investad in my 2006 Mustang including car and can blow the doors off the Vette, and actually running about the same times as the Z06 for half the price.

Oh yea and I outrun GT500's too.
This. I too have about 38K into my car including the price of the car....and I can and have beaten the holy hell out of vettes,camaro's and gt500's to. For half the price.

Do not believe the hype. If you think that a stock Camaro is going to hang with a GT500 because of some test you read where people have 2.+++ 60ft times...I think your in for a ruuuude awakening when you come up against one with a competent driver. Hell you better watch for the new GT's to. A 2010GT with just some weight out of the car, xpipe, and UCA's went 12.9......
No tune at all.....
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #107
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
"Originally Posted by The_Blur
I can't wait to crush a GT500 at the track. I'm tired of reading about how great the GT500 is. It's overrated."


boy are you in for a surprise... gt500's can do much better than 12.8, try 12.3-12.4 just letting you know so you aren't shocked when you didn't crush one.

Crush one? The blur will be lucky if he can catch it at the next stoplight.....
__________________
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #108
logan1080
 
logan1080's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 693
Haha wow, I don't think it would even take a supercharger for the camaro to beat the GT500. Full exhaust, CAI, Tune, and some good tires might even do it. A guy hit 12.5 with just a CAI and a tune in an SS. there is a vid of it in the 1/4 mile vid section. Put a supercharger on the camaro and the shelby's will see nothing but SS taillights.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #109
KoTToN
 
KoTToN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County -CA
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast SS View Post

To go with forged rods/pistons, new heads, cam, full exhaust, FI, fuel system, driveline upgrades will run you real close to $20K plus. That is if you are doing a lot of the work yourself.

.

right... but your def going to be past 540 horsepower as well with the ls3.
__________________
Sales Forcasting 101A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #110
2010 CAMARO SS RS
 
2010 CAMARO SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 141
i bet your ass if you put american racing headers on it will kill the supercharged shelby gt500.
2010 CAMARO SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #111
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
lol you guys hang on that one guy who said he did 12.5 with a CIA, even though the makers of it, in the same type of car only manage 13.0......gotta love to how in the vid the "friend" says how much is he spraying...or he's spraying.

One more little fact...just because this guy did 12.5 with a CIA does not mean YOU will do 12.5 with just a CIA......

Still waiting to see someone else do this....since its all it takes...
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #112
DeathChill

 
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
lol you guys hang on that one guy who said he did 12.5 with a CIA, even though the makers of it, in the same type of car only manage 13.0......gotta love to how in the vid the "friend" says how much is he spraying...or he's spraying.

One more little fact...just because this guy did 12.5 with a CIA does not mean YOU will do 12.5 with just a CIA......

Still waiting to see someone else do this....since its all it takes...
I'm not sure about the negativity here about the 12.5 run. The guy said his cousin was kidding around. Now that by itself could be fishy, but the vendor who worked on his car posts here and can verify it as true.

I agree that just because someone ran a great time doesn't mean you can, but that's true of any car. It's the same thing as posting the 12.9 modded 2010 GT time.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #113
Black GT
Banned
 
Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
Haha wow, I don't think it would even take a supercharger for the camaro to beat the GT500. Full exhaust, CAI, Tune, and some good tires might even do it. A guy hit 12.5 with just a CAI and a tune in an SS. there is a vid of it in the 1/4 mile vid section. Put a supercharger on the camaro and the shelby's will see nothing but SS taillights.
But didn't Hennessey put a supercharger,exhaust and drag radials on one and could only get 11.6's out of it.

GT500 is there with just drag radials.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #114
81z28355
 
81z28355's Avatar
 
Drives: 81 Z28
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 90
Send a message via AIM to 81z28355
Dont worry about running into a 2010 Gt 500 Ford just told the dealers only 2000 cars will be built for 2010. Let the huge dealers mark ups begin. Hope they make them next year. But with 2008 and 2009 Gt 500's still not selling on dealer lots who knows.
81z28355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #115
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I'm not sure about the negativity here about the 12.5 run. The guy said his cousin was kidding around. Now that by itself could be fishy, but the vendor who worked on his car posts here and can verify it as true.

I agree that just because someone ran a great time doesn't mean you can, but that's true of any car. It's the same thing as posting the 12.9 modded 2010 GT time.
True..but others have run 13.0 and 13.1....its funny he is the ONLY one to 12.5 with those mods....its just fishy..also the other poster was right..With a S/C headers, and a host of other mods, a tuner ran 11.6....Alos have not heard much else since..It just seems a bit off, and his cousin did not validate that to well by saying what he said. To me, times ran with mods, and the spray times I have seen, it would seemed he sprayed, and ran a good time. At any rate, he says he did not, so I must take his word on it.

Regardless of that, It still stands to say that anyone thinking they will dust of a GT500 with a stock camaro is in for a rude surprise.....that is if the driver(gt500) can actually drive a bit....
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #116
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
But didn't Hennessey put a supercharger,exhaust and drag radials on one and could only get 11.6's out of it.

GT500 is there with just drag radials.
MPH on that run was 121mph...its 11.6 is traction limited...traction limited, isn't that what you Ford guys are crying about on that GT500 only beating a stock SS by 0.1...BTW the 510rwhp GT500 does not trap 120+ stock.

Also your running 11.6's crushing vettes, GT500's and Z06's...with a trap of 116, your doing it on the 60'. Not that their is anything wrong with that, getting the power to the ground is part of the game, just don't be expecting to do it roll racing (not saying roll racing is right, just pointing out that it happens)...cam only vettes are trapping 125+, as well as Z06's, so I wouldn't go picking on those guys expecting a kill.

And on the hp/$ post saying $20K for a built shortblock, et etc even if you do most of the work yourself....that is an extreme example and can be done much less than this...where I live at least.


LPE forged 418ci short block $4800, sell your stock short block $1500-2000 so let say net of $3K cost, TVS 2300 $7000 (your now at $10K), headers, cutouts ($1500), clutch ($1200), DR ($500), CAI ($350), Tune ($300), cam + springs ($700)=$14,550 (when you get a bunch of your best buddy's together to hang out and slap on parts) + new Camaro ss (33K)=$47,550...HP potential of this type motor is easily 700rwhp-900rwhp depending upon how hard you want to lean on it....at this power level for either the GT500 or the Camaro, drivetrain components are going to be a liability, as well as no warranty (assuming the GT500 owner is modding his car to the same powerlevel with say a KB etc...if he is an honest owner, he would consent no powertrain warranty is fair).

I didn't include the stock parts you are taking off your car that you could sell to get back some of the funds (intake, clutch, cam, stock intake, etc).

JMO.
__________________
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #117
Sleestack
 
Sleestack's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
MPH on that run was 121mph...its 11.6 is traction limited...traction limited, isn't that what you Ford guys are crying about on that GT500 only beating a stock SS by 0.1...BTW the 510rwhp GT500 does not trap 120+ stock.

Also your running 11.6's crushing vettes, GT500's and Z06's...with a trap of 116, your doing it on the 60'. Not that their is anything wrong with that, getting the power to the ground is part of the game,


JMO.
Agree, 11.6@121 is pretty good and crushes most cars. Here is a GT500 running 11.6@121 with 4 mods (Intake, Tune, Pulley, DR). Nice

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...500_199791.htm
__________________
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #118
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morehead, Kentucky
Posts: 781
^Yeah, those cars are like the Supra's of the 90's, extremely simple and cheap to make fast-er...just don't know how much longer cars like this will be around...every manufacturer should follow this concept on at least one of their "sports" cars (forged internals stock).
__________________
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #119
DeathChill

 
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mission, BC
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
True..but others have run 13.0 and 13.1....its funny he is the ONLY one to 12.5 with those mods....its just fishy..also the other poster was right..With a S/C headers, and a host of other mods, a tuner ran 11.6....Alos have not heard much else since..It just seems a bit off, and his cousin did not validate that to well by saying what he said. To me, times ran with mods, and the spray times I have seen, it would seemed he sprayed, and ran a good time. At any rate, he says he did not, so I must take his word on it.

Regardless of that, It still stands to say that anyone thinking they will dust of a GT500 with a stock camaro is in for a rude surprise.....that is if the driver(gt500) can actually drive a bit....
Just because only one person ran it doesn't make it fishy. It's fairly simple to ask the vendor who worked on his car. The vendor went back and made additional modifications after the fact so there's really little he could hide. LMR worked on his car and they post here quite a bit and I doubt they'd risk their reputation over it.

Yep, I agree. Anyone who thinks they're going to beat a GT500 (with a good driver) with a stock SS is going to be quite surprised.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winner, winner - Jalopnik compares the Big 3 Number 3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 31 04-17-2011 04:24 PM
Help the Camaro win Motortrend's Championship truth411 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 56 07-02-2009 06:10 AM
Motorgen LA Invasion Videos (58) and Pics Thread SeanPlunk USA - California 5 05-31-2009 02:23 AM
2010 Camaro SS vs 2009 Shelby GT500 price difference(and Challenger SRT8) porcupinekiller 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 30 03-01-2009 01:22 PM
Camaro SS vs GT500 not KR chewy4ce 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 99 01-29-2009 11:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.