Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
nbrigdan

Drives: '12 S550, '10 WRX, '13 SS
Need help with pricing used HRE's

Hi, I know this isn't specifically Camaro related but I figured you guys wouldn't mind helping out a fellow forum member, I'm looking at buying a used car and there are 19" HRE C95s on them (brushed finish) and they are in excellent condition with only 10K miles on them, I want the car and the tires but I don't like the wheels particularly and so if I bought the car I would sell them and was wondering what a reasonable price would be to put them on the market for? (I'd use this money to go towards a new set of rims) Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
nbrigdan

anyone?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Used wheels are worth 50% of brand new price at best in my experience to begin with...and might need to be much lower to actually sell them...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
HRE C95 are their lightweight racing 3-piece wheels. A set of 19s with the upgraded brushed centers would normally sell for $7200/set without tires or sensors.

Camaro owners haven't historically been a big market for the expensive HRE wheels, so it will be difficult to sell them for even 50% of that price. Sounds like the previous owner had good taste in wheels, and went with the smaller diameter to make the car faster. Why not just keep them?

Tony
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
nbrigdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
HRE C95 are their lightweight racing 3-piece wheels. A set of 19s with the upgraded brushed centers would normally sell for $7200/set without tires or sensors.

Camaro owners haven't historically been a big market for the expensive HRE wheels, so it will be difficult to sell them for even 50% of that price. Sounds like the previous owner had good taste in wheels, and went with the smaller diameter to make the car faster. Why not just keep them?

Tony
Thanks guys, there appears to be a misconception though, these wheels aren't from a Camaro, they're from a 911 I'm looking to buy, the reason I'd sell them is because I'm never going to track the car and really am not in love with the look of them, so I'd sell them and put the money towards so O.Z. Racing Ultraleggera or BBS. But thanks for the advice!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Nine Ball

HRE > OZ & BBS

Pretty big difference there.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
nbrigdan

Quote:
HRE > OZ & BBS

Pretty big difference there.
Really? I knew they were up there with OZ and BBS, but from what I've seen most forums prefer those two because of their great motorsport heritage, where as HRE is much more of a new comer. Do you have personal experience with the 3?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Nine Ball

HRE is largely considered the benchmark wheel manufacturer in the custom wheel industry. They have been building racing wheels for a very long time.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
nbrigdan

Quote:
HRE is largely considered the benchmark wheel manufacturer in the custom wheel industry. They have been building racing wheels for a very long time.
When did HRE start? I know BBS started in 1970 which is quite a while.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
are you serious? LOL
google HRE...holy cow.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
nbrigdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
are you serious? LOL
google HRE...holy cow.
My bad, but no need to a dick. Just as easy to post a date. I had been googling and looked all over HRE's website but didn't find anything, there isn't even a wikipedia page on them... But yes I did find them, 1980 started making wheels, you could have just said that... (I'm sorry for assuming the HRE website would have any information regarding their history...)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

The one thing I have learned in buying wheels and tires, expensive doesn't always mean high quality...I have spent a lot on wheels that were not great, as have many others...HRE and Forgeline's are the two companies that I will drop my money on going forward, they both make great wheels...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
nbrigdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
The one thing I have learned in buying wheels and tires, expensive doesn't always mean high quality...I have spent a lot on wheels that were not great, as have many others...HRE and Forgeline's are the two companies that I will drop my money on going forward, they both make great wheels...
Exactly, I know they're all high quality, but no one has given me an honest straight forward answer backed up with tangible facts as to why they prefer X brand.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Forgeline specifically are the wheel of choice for most people that actually race their cars in the Pro Touring world...I've met the guys from Forgeline and see all the events they are at to support the racers with their wheels if they have an issue. I'm no expert, but a lot of the guys who are, trust Forgeline everytime they go out on a road course...so far, they are the best set of wheels I have owned....I also trust Nineball's opinion on wheels, he is the most knowledgeable wheel vendor out there and their various manufacturing processes and he is a real car guy....Good luck with whatever you choose....
Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
nbrigdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Forgeline specifically are the wheel of choice for most people that actually race their cars in the Pro Touring world...I've met the guys from Forgeline and see all the events they are at to support the racers with their wheels if they have an issue. I'm no expert, but a lot of the guys who are, trust Forgeline everytime they go out on a road course...so far, they are the best set of wheels I have owned....I also trust Nineball's opinion on wheels, he is the most knowledgeable wheel vendor out there and their various manufacturing processes and he is a real car guy....Good luck with whatever you choose....
Good info, thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
You can always paint or powder coat those wheels to your liking.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
legacy

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Not sure if true or not, but I have heard of several HRE failures after serious track time. While they look good, I would probably go for BBS or something else for hardcore racing duty.

Edit: Nvm, just read that it was just internet rumors about the HRE failures
Old 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy View Post
Not sure if true or not, but I have heard of several HRE failures after serious track time. While they look good, I would probably go for BBS or something else for hardcore racing duty.

Edit: Nvm, just read that it was just internet rumors about the HRE failures
I would delete that post...

Tags
hre, pricing question