Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
RagingHawk

Drives: V6 Camaro LS 2015
1SS or 2SS Help

Hello guys, I'm getting very close to trading in for a SS model. I'm trying to look for decent deals on 2SS's but can't find any in my area in colors/trims I want. I can find a 1ss in a trim I want. I want peoples advice. I don't care for leather, hud, heated seats, backup camera, etc....

I currently drive the a LS model which is stripped down and it doesn't bother me. I only drive this in spring/summer. Only thing I care for is audio quality. The stock stereo is pretty good but I want better. Should I look for an 2SS or just get the 1ss and install aftermarket sound system myself? Or is the 2SS audio system good enough to justify purchasing it?

Keep in mind, in my state the price difference is pretty big between the trims, we don't have great sales like others do.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
V8orGTFO

Drives: Mustang GT 03 Conv
Daily driver 2SS would be better in my opinion HUD, back up camera and premium sound are nice things to have, 1SS if all you care about is performance and I guess that would apply to RS package or not since RS package makes it maybe 5 pounds heavier I think if you have the cash the 2 SS upgrades justify the price if you are not in a money constraint since they are items that you can't really add down the road with out being more expensive.
V8orGTFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
If you're happy with the LS trim, you'll probably be fine with the 1SS. As far as audio, I'd suggest checking a 2LT or 2SS as they have the upgraded audio. I personally think it sounds fine, but opinions on it were mixed when I was researching. I'd try both out at a dealer and see what you think. It is an option on the 1SS, so of you like it I'm sure you can find one with it
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Gary24

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
What's the difference between the two?
Gary24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
rosie

Drives: 2014 2SS-RS Convertible 6m K&N Cai
love the extras in my 2ss
rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
V8orGTFO

Drives: Mustang GT 03 Conv
SS has premium sound, Heads up Display, rear vision camera, leather and some other stuff.
V8orGTFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Lostboy1987

Drives: '15 BVM 2SS/RS/1LE
If your only concern is the audio, I wouldn't recommend going to 2SS for that. I don't find it as good as the Monsoon system was in my 2002 WS6 and plan to upgrade the amp and speakers in the future. The Boston Acoustics system does seem to be waking up a little as I use it more though. I find the HUD and backup camera extremely useful. Here are the differences:

Available as options on 1SS, standard on 2SS:
Boston Acoustics 9-speaker audio
Rear vision camera/park assist

Also on the 2SS:
Heads Up Display
Leather Seats
Heated front seats
Heated and driver-side auto dimming mirrors
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror, frameless
Console gauges
Color display driver information center
Universal home remote

Lostboy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
thunderkyss

Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
I've got a 1SS/RS with the rear view package.

I don't miss the HUD. Had it in my C6, never really cared for it. It was cool in a, "Hey look at this" way, but not really that big a deal.

I don't have leather seats. But both front seats are power.

I've got the leather wrapped steering wheel & short throw shifter (also wrapped in leather).

I also don't have the gauge pod. I didn't think I would miss it as so many complain about it's location. To compensate I keep the display between the speedometer & tach on the oil temp & pressure. I'll probably add the gauge pod if I don't find a better upgrade. I also hate that I didn't get the auto-dimming rearview. Once I get my back window tinted though, it won't be an issue.

Premium sound system. I've never been much on auto sound systems, but I've found most who were to prefer aftermarket systems. & every car I did get with the premium audio, I eventually tired of them & wanted better. I don't see how it would be any different in the Camaro.

Now, if the ground effects were part of the 2SS package, I'd have gone for it.

Then again, when I bought my car, I wasn't interested in 1SS vs 2SS. I told my dealer I wanted three things. V8, M6, Red Hot.... everything else was bonus.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
RagingHawk

I personally probably would prefer cloth over leather. I don't need the 2SS, dont care about HUD , leather, heated seats, etc....I do want decent audio. I've always had only stock audio in my cars and most were terrible but this ls camaro was best one yet. But would be nice if there is more clarity at louder volumes. And to be a bit louder in general. If the BA does that then I would be satisfied.

I'd rather just get this sound system if the price difference between 1ss and 2ss isn't great. I'm currently trying to see what's best deal I can get for 2ss and contacting dealer for discounted price on a 1ss. Both would have rs package. If the 1ss is 4k cheaper than 2ss when final prices are given to me. I'd go with 1ss.

My problem is if I want to update audio , I would only want to change speakers. If I have to change dash kit and buy 600$ double din id rather not do it and just go with 2ss. Basically if BA is good enough I wouldn't need to put 1k into aftermarket dash /speakers/installation. Thunder does make good point that gauge pod location is bad. The base model I have has a nice storage area under the ac controls where I usually put my phone. But that can be solved with a cup holder phone mount.

So if 2ss has decent audio better than most stock cars than I'd rather go that path and put money into powdercoating wheels.

Wish me luck that i good discounted prices.

PS: I can't find any 1ss/rs with ba audio option.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Go and listen to a 2ss. Then go to a reputable stereo shop and ask how much a difference there would be in the 1ss if you just did a speaker swap and kept the original head unit. If there is 4K difference you would be better off changing the whole system to what you want then you could always change it back. If you spend the 1K in upgrades and go all out and spend 2K on stereo upgrade you still have 1K in your pocket.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #11
Luis13RS

Drives: 2013 LT RS
If you dont care for the HUD and leather, and sound is all you want then personally I would get the 1ss. You could get better aftermarket speakers with a good amp and nice 10 inch or 12 sub and still have plenty of money to do other stuff to the car. What type of music do you listen to?
Magnaflow Resonated X with muffler/Resonator/Rear Cat delete, White DRL with DRL harness, Blue Interor LED/Footwell lighting, 2 12 kicker L7's on a Audiopipe APCL 1500, 6.5 Polk Audio 6500 DXi component speakers on a JL slash v2 300/4, Blacked out emblems, Semi Gloss Rims, Tinted Taillights/Sidemarkers, ZL1 Spoiler, ZL1 Grille
Luis13RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman124 View Post
Go and listen to a 2ss. Then go to a reputable stereo shop and ask how much a difference there would be in the 1ss if you just did a speaker swap and kept the original head unit. If there is 4K difference you would be better off changing the whole system to what you want then you could always change it back. If you spend the 1K in upgrades and go all out and spend 2K on stereo upgrade you still have 1K in your pocket.
If the 2ss price point is close to the 1ss I will take it. And if BA sounds good enough for me I won't change nothing except maybe add subwoofer since most 2ss owners complain about lack of bass on it. I'd have to see for myself. And I will ask my local audio shop if changing speakers on stock head unit will improve it.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis13RS View Post
If you dont care for the HUD and leather, and sound is all you want then personally I would get the 1ss. You could get better aftermarket speakers with a good amp and nice 10 inch or 12 sub and still have plenty of money to do other stuff to the car. What type of music do you listen to?
Mostly EDM/Dance/Hip hop.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
Luis13RS

If the 2ss is priced 3k more than the 1ss, Id get the 1ss and put in a better overall audio system and save money
Magnaflow Resonated X with muffler/Resonator/Rear Cat delete, White DRL with DRL harness, Blue Interor LED/Footwell lighting, 2 12 kicker L7's on a Audiopipe APCL 1500, 6.5 Polk Audio 6500 DXi component speakers on a JL slash v2 300/4, Blacked out emblems, Semi Gloss Rims, Tinted Taillights/Sidemarkers, ZL1 Spoiler, ZL1 Grille
Old 07-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
RagingHawk

Quote:
If the 2ss is priced 3k more than the 1ss, Id get the 1ss and put in a better overall audio system and save money
The car is my father's, it's on his name and if we upgrade he is paying. We share it but he mostly let's me drive it as it's uncomfortable for his back. So if price difference is 3K or greater I agree with you to go for 1ss. I never knew this was coming(father won the camaro randomly) otherwise I wouldve got a summer job long ago to save money for upgrades. I'm instead taking college summer courses. But I have a volunteer like job I do on weekends. And I will save up around 800$ for audio system upgrades. Most people say that is enough money for a really decent audio setup. If it isn't and I need 3k for a decent one I won't upgrade it. I'm also planning to powdercoat the wheels which may run anywhere from 275 to 400. So I'm gonna round up budget about 1200-1300 for wheels/audio. If 800 doesnt improve audio then that's where this thread comes in, if we get small price difference would you recommend just sticking to BA system in 2ss? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Luis13RS

I would. The boston speakers arent bad, But I would definitely upgrade to a better subwoofer. If the car is 1k more then the 1ss, then their is no question that I would upgrade to the 2ss. Better looking interior, HUD, leather seats, backup camera etc. I Would'nt mind paying the extra bucks on all that Best of luck to you, let us know what happens and If you do go with the 1ss and are looking for some good speakers, ill be happy to help
Old 07-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
RagingHawk

Quote:
I would. The boston speakers arent bad, But I would definitely upgrade to a better subwoofer. If the car is 1k more then the 1ss, then their is no question that I would upgrade to the 2ss. Better looking interior, HUD, leather seats, backup camera etc. I Would'nt mind paying the extra bucks on all that Best of luck to you, let us know what happens and If you do go with the 1ss and are looking for some good speakers, ill be happy to help
Thanks a lot for the help!

I should know by Monday which one it is and will let you guys know.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #18
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8orGTFO View Post
SS has premium sound, Heads up Display, rear vision camera, leather and some other stuff.
the other stuff: frameless, auto diming rearview mirror, color DIC, auxiliary gauges, universal home remote, park assist, and heated auto dimming drivers side mirror!

Last edited by Ragnar; 07-28-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #19
JC1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS (OLD) / New 2015 1LE
If you really don't care for the 2ss Goods and only care about the audio, like somebody here said before. Don't even bother. I had a boston acoustics on a 2ss and I could not stand the fact that it was not loud . Ended up getting new speakers and amp.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #20
13coupe

Drives: Crystal Red 1SS Coupe 6spd manual
I went from an LS to a 1SS. Feels like a totally different car let alone the engine.
You'll love it.
Which one did you get?
13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #21
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1LE View Post
If you really don't care for the 2ss Goods and only care about the audio, like somebody here said before. Don't even bother. I had a boston acoustics on a 2ss and I could not stand the fact that it was not loud . Ended up getting new speakers and amp.
I actually was a little impressed with stock 6 speaker in the ls. This is probably because my previous car and current daily driver have really bad audio systems. The Camaro ls audio system is pretty clear, it could be louder though and it has trouble getting bass across when playing bass heavy songs. It's still something I can put up with for 6 months until upgrading. So I can wait that time or see how the premuim audio does. I will check it out this weekend at a dealer and compare both stock and premuim audio. If I like the sound of it I will go with it if not just go with 1ss.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13coupe View Post
I went from an LS to a 1SS. Feels like a totally different car let alone the engine.
You'll love it.
Which one did you get?
How different did it feel? Ride feel wise? Power wise the torque alone impresses me. If it is rougher on the road that won't bother me since the ls already is pretty rough. I should be having mine this weekend/early next week. I'll let you know which I went with.