Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
zobi10

Drives: Camaro
New 2014 2SS or 2LT for all season driving?

I'm buying a new 2014 Camaro for my everyday driver soon. Can't wait! I want a 2SS, but am considering a 2LT only due to the summer tires that come standard on the 2SS. 2LT says "all season" tires come standard from everything I've seen. And although I'm sure they're not as good as actual snow tires, I'm hoping I can run them all year without having to change anything. Hoping to not have to spend about $2K extra to replace tires and wheels.

I live in Chicago and this will be an EVERYDAY driver, so I hope you guys can help with some suggestions from anybody that has solved the rear wheel drive winter driving deal or has better ideas than what I have here. I don't wanna buy something else just due to this issue.

I'm thinking 2LT, trying the stock tires and putting some kitty litter bags in the trunk for weight and traction in case I get stuck.

Any suggestions?
zobi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
I would not let tires make me switch from an SS to an LT.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldag View Post
what this guy said.

Im not gonna lie summer tires suck on the SS in the snow. I used to have a 1LT/RS with the same summer tires and it was alot more manageable. Im assuming the torque was the difference. Have to drive with alot of care to get traction. But you can always get All season tires or winter tires which kill that problem. And on a side note...if you get the RS package you will have Summer tires on your camaro.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
parkermoeder

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Don't pick the car over the tires. It's 30k+ car don't let 1k on new tires be the factor. Also if you have the itch for the ss now you'll regret it down the road, but if you want 6 for mpg or whatever go for it
-Stainless Power headers
-Cold Air Inductions Intake
-Blue oracle halos
-Satin black ZL1 replicas
-315 invos and other cosmetic mods
parkermoeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
SS and a set of winter tires = winner
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermoeder View Post
Don't pick the car over the tires. It's 30k+ car don't let 1k on new tires be the factor. Also if you have the itch for the ss now you'll regret it down the road, but if you want 6 for mpg or whatever go for it
This times a billion.

If you want an SS and are spending the cash on the car, spend the extra money and get proper tires for winter. If $1-2k is going to break you, then you shouldn't be buying this car IMO.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobi10 View Post
I'm buying a new 2014 Camaro for my everyday driver soon. Can't wait! I want a 2SS, but am considering a 2LT only due to the summer tires that come standard on the 2SS. 2LT says "all season" tires come standard from everything I've seen. And although I'm sure they're not as good as actual snow tires, I'm hoping I can run them all year without having to change anything. Hoping to not have to spend about $2K extra to replace tires and wheels.

I live in Chicago and this will be an EVERYDAY driver, so I hope you guys can help with some suggestions from anybody that has solved the rear wheel drive winter driving deal or has better ideas than what I have here. I don't wanna buy something else just due to this issue.

I'm thinking 2LT, trying the stock tires and putting some kitty litter bags in the trunk for weight and traction in case I get stuck.

Any suggestions?
Hello zobi10,

Great to hear that you're considering a 2014 SS or 2LT! I would have no problem helping you locate a Camaro that matches your interests. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions!

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
zobi10

Good stuff, guys! Thanks. Any suggestions for snow tires? Can I get them to fit my stock wheels?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
PsychoRS
Camaro Addict

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldag View Post

Whatever you get, just plan on getting a good set of winter tires. The SS handles great in the snow with a good set of snow tires.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
doctorwill

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss, 2008 Escalade,
SS plus winter set up....
doctorwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Good stuff, guys! Thanks. Any suggestions for snow tires? Can I get them to fit my stock wheels?
Bridgestone Blizzaks.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Dknight16

Drives: 2014 2SS RS
I'm going to put snow tires on my SS, but I drove a 2006 Mustang GT with Z rated tires daily for 3 years. That was 100 miles per day throughout Michigan winters. It's not ideal, but it can be done.
Dknight16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Just tell the dealer you want the 2ss but you want all seasons on it, I'm positive they'll swap them out for you to sell the car. Not many people care about what tires they're getting on the car anyway as long as they have good tread :-P
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
zobi10

Nice, I like the idea of pressing the dealership to put on at least all season tires. This thread has been a big help, thanks guys!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree135 View Post
Just tell the dealer you want the 2ss but you want all seasons on it, I'm positive they'll swap them out for you to sell the car. Not many people care about what tires they're getting on the car anyway as long as they have good tread :-P
Wrong.. All Season are not snow tires , If the op wants to drive chicago winters he needs snows plus go down a inch in size . Tire Rack is a great place to get setup
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
zobi10

Got it. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree135 View Post
yeah. this or have the dealer give you a deal on an addition set of steel rims with suitable all seasons as your rims will also be subjected to all that winter crap we drive through
Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
zobi10

Do I need to switch back and forth every summer/winter? Could I leave snow tires on all year? I assume that's the point of all season, but that they are not ideal for any season.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
well that comes down to personal preference. most of your options are covered in the feedback that was givin. Look beyond the tires. I chose the 1lt/RS for many reasonse with no regrets. Don't let the tires be a deciding factor. I have experienced buyers remorse once. It don't feel good.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:
Do I need to switch back and forth every summer/winter? Could I leave snow tires on all year? I assume that's the point of all season, but that they are not ideal for any season.
It will be best to switch between summers and winters. Plus you only put on half as many miles on each set.

It also gives you a chance to inspect and bleed your brakes.

I would recommend new wheels, it can't be good to keep mounting tires.

LS/LT you can use 18" wheels and tires, SS you will need larger (more expensive) wheels and tires to clear the awesome Brembo brakes.

But once you buy them you should get a few years out of them.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
zobi10

Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
motorhead
bars suck

Drives: ZL1
I would say an SS for three seasons the way she comes and a $2000 beater for the rest. Cost the same as wheels and tires without beating up your camaro durning the winter. I wouldn't own any sports car if I had to drive in winter weather with it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
zobi10. i am in the same boat. i dont want summer only tires. most of the camaro here in Kansas city have the RS package. i really dont need 20 inch wheels, and no dealer is willing to put all season tires on instead. i am wanting 19 with the all season like you, as it will be a daily driver, except for snow. i contacted Perilli, and yes, the summer only no uin cold weather, rain, etc. but, it irks me to spend 30k on a car, and in 2 months having to spend more money on tires so i can drive the car in the late Fall. also, i am looking at 2lt COUPE and 1 LT vert. but, i will order 2014 without RS package if have to. its another 1500 i dont really see benefit. good luck in your search and these forums are a great way to get opinions and information. thanks for all the folks on here.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
legacy

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I drove through last NYC's winter with my 2SS on stock Pirelli rubber...Even through a snow storm. Just feather the gas and you should be fine.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
burton227

Drives: 2010 Camaro Yellow w/ Black stripes
Everyone here is saying get the ss but for your conundrum I'd say get the v6. Because if your going to let tires get between you and the ss then you probably wouldn't do well if with ss. If your that concerned with the winter driving the less torque and horsepower + the "all-season" tires on the v6 will do you good.
burton227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all season, everyday driver, snow, tires, winter