Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Europort

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS
Louder than MRT v2?

Hi guys!

I purchased my 2012 45th 2LT about two weeks ago. The dealer said it had a sportier exhaust on it and it sounds pretty good. After talking to Tyler at MRT, he was able to verify that it was their MRT v2 Axle back exhaust.

I like how the exhaust rips when its in the high rpm ranges, I just wish it would be more throaty at the lower ranges as well.

After reading around on the forums here, I saw that a resonator delete could be a good option. But, what other options would I have? Change out to an MRT v1?

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks again,
Brandon
Europort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
A resonator delete will make it louder, but from my understanding you will have more rasp/popping. A lot of guys go with the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, when removing the resonator's and stock h-pipe with the MRT 2.0. This smooths out the tone of the exhaust, but may quiet it down some. Do some google searches for videos. But from my limited understanding MRT is the loudest exhaust for the LFX. Other than straight pipes, which sounds terrible. A cold air intake really changes the sound of everything and adds some hp, I would definitely loose the stock air box, if you still have it. Maybe look into Solo high flow cat's? They are expensive, and not a huge bump in performance, but make the exhaust tone a little lower.
Congrats on you purchase by the way, and welcome to the endless money draining world of Camaro5 modifications.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Europort

Thanks for your input Buschman. Currently, yes, I still have the stock airbox setup. I am looking at cold air intakes but I'm not quite sure which one I will see the most HP/TQ increase from. I also see them range from 290-399 depending on make/model. I hear a lot of praise for the rotofab / CAI brand of intakes.

I think I might purchase an intake and see how it sounds before altering the exhaust any further.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
I went with the K&N typhoon, based on previous use with K&N and a sale for $199. I hear that the CAI is the best for the LFX. They cost a little more but look great and give the largest proven increases.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I heard a LLT this week at the Fest. He was running CAI,BBK long tubes, X-pipe from a SS and MRT V2. Sounded the best I've heard to date. Not sure his name on here ,but he won the V6 class. Sorry didn't look before typing, I see you have 2012.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Europort

Thanks for the input guys!

Haha, I guess I should start saving for a CAI. Any hints on the cheapest place to find them or any place running discounts this week?

Thanks again,
Brandon
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
To tell you the truth even will all mufflers and resonators off you will not get the deep sound you want.

I just installed the Magnaflow Cat-back system on my 2013 and with everything off minus the cats the car sounds super super tame. No deep sound no impressive rumble. :( It honestly made me a little sad. Thank you casted manifold! /boo
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europort View Post
Thanks for the input guys!

Haha, I guess I should start saving for a CAI. Any hints on the cheapest place to find them or any place running discounts this week?

Thanks again,
Brandon
To chime in on that note... the K&N CAI I put on gets loud at WOT. Honestly at lower speeds it is louder than the exhaust.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Europort

Thanks for all the help guys! I just ordered a CAI intake from RDPstore because they have a special promotion (Thanks Steve!). I can't wait to get it and install it!

-Brandon
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
I heard a LLT this week at the Fest. He was running CAI,BBK long tubes, X-pipe from a SS and MRT V2. Sounded the best I've heard to date. Not sure his name on here ,but he won the V6 class. Sorry didn't look before typing, I see you have 2012.
You are talking about KJKJR27. His setup sounds awesome and is exactly what I'm looking at doing in the future.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europort View Post
Thanks for all the help guys! I just ordered a CAI intake from RDPstore because they have a special promotion (Thanks Steve!). I can't wait to get it and install it!

-Brandon
What's the special? I am looking for that CAI also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Europort

Shoot dynosteve a PM and he will send you a code to use on his site for a discount!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
vong

Drives: Hazard Yellow Holden VE SV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
To tell you the truth even will all mufflers and resonators off you will not get the deep sound you want.

I just installed the Magnaflow Cat-back system on my 2013 and with everything off minus the cats the car sounds super super tame. No deep sound no impressive rumble. :( It honestly made me a little sad. Thank you casted manifold! /boo
You seriously don't like your magnaflow system? That system is bar far the best one I've heard on this forum. That center muffler reduces the rasp significantly compared to just axle backs.

Everyone on this forum seems to be obsessed with having a loud exhaust instead of a nice sounding system.

By the way the only way to get a deep note is by using mufflers.
vong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
LS3 Handler
I love the LS3

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS Manual
I have the MRT V1 and i think its great sounds good at idle and makes a great noise i get compliments all the time. There a bit high priced but i have always thought the ARK N-11 cat back exhaust had the best deep sound and great note up top, the bigger exhaust tubes it uses prolly helps with the deep tone 2 3/4 inch exhaust. If i had the extra money i would have bought the ARK system. BTW enjoy that CAI i bought that intake and love it.
LS3 Handler is offline   Reply With Quote