Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
HighFly27

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv. & 2002 V-6 Conv.
Advice on Changing Mains & Rods Brg's. in Car

Hello All,

I have a 2002 Camaro, Convertible, Auto., with 137,XXX miles. I'm a 2nd Owner and bought the car with 97 K miles, I've owned the car 3 years. The car has been a oood running the car with the exception of the coolant pipes in the block. I replaced the plastic ones with metal ones.

Now, the car has setting a lot in the last year n' half. I (just) noticed that it puffs a bit of smoke out when you pull away from a stop sign or stop light. I'm guessing the valve guide seals have become brittle. I forgot to mention, this is a V-6, Series II engine. I never noticed a oil consumption problem in the past.

However, just recently the oil pressure gauge had dropped to (nearly) zero and I shut it down. The dip stick is Full and 10 - 30 Wt. oil is installed (High Mileage Shell Oil).

Now, I've been in the Diesel Engine Business for 30 + years, retired about six years ago. I kept my shop and in the process of hauling my larger shop tooling equipment from PA to FL.

I've rebuilt several - 283, 327 and 350 engines in the old days... about 25 plus years ago. I just bought a Chilton Manual for - 1993 to 2002 Camaros.

I did not see (clearly) in the Chilton Book if you can remove the oil pan and rebuild the bottom end (rod & mains) while the engine is still in the car or Not ?!?

I as thinking about -- New Rings and Honing the Cyl's. as well. I do not feel that the Cylinder walls are worn excessively. I'd rebuild the heads at the same time. I have a full set of valve grinding equipment as well. So, basically... I'm planning on a -- in-chassis overhaul. The Car is in nice shape for it's year (2002) and it's a keeper but Not perfect with 137 K. I just put a new top and tires on it. The trans. & rear was completely serviced and clean a whistle inside, also trans. shifting is 100%.

I was not going to pull the engine out to lessen the difficulty of not having a shop to work in @ Florida. I do have a -- 40 foot shop trailer to transport my tooling from PA and work on the heads here in FL.

I'm 65 YO and the car will serve me well for the next X? years. I don't need to spend several thousand dollars on the car's engine to suit my needs for the next ten ? years or 15 K ? miles or so.

Thanks' A Lot,

Avery
HighFly27 is offline   Reply With Quote