Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
snymat68

Drives: '13 1LS M6, '72 VW Beetle M4 Resto.
Keep or Delete Resonators?

So I've had the MRT v2's on my 2013 LFX for several thousand miles now, and I'm getting tired of the drone while cruising on the highway. The mufflers are just clamped for now (wanted to make sure I liked them before welding). I'm going to be getting them welded soon but I'm going to buy the Magnaflow resonated X pipe first and have that welded in at the same time to help get rid of the drone. It's my understanding that the x-pipe replaces the h-pipe (makes sense), but my question is about the stock resonators. I've read conflicting things on here. Should I delete the stock resonators or leave them intact? With the MRT v2 and resonated x-pipe combo, what should I do? I'm after loud, deep sound without the drone/rasp. What are the advantages/disadvantages of deleting the stock resonators? Thanks in advance!
Aesthetic Mods
CamaroCollection Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | CamaroCollection Interior Accessories Kit | Headlight Armor Smoke Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Custom Plate & Plate Frame | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
IneedAZ

Drives: not enough power
only resonators i would keep are the two near the Cats...the others i would get rid of. I have the non resonated X and no res after and it sounds fine..no issues.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Michelin PSS tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, 3/4" intake spacer, and ported intake. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
JR 1

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
The resonator is what cancels out the unpleasantant frequencies like the ones that cause the raspy sound. If you are more interested in a quality sound and not just making your car loud, I would leave the resonator on.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
The resonator is what cancels out the unpleasantant frequencies like the ones that cause the raspy sound. If you are more interested in a quality sound and not just making your car loud, I would leave the resonator on.
But won't the resonated x-pipe solve this issue?
Aesthetic Mods
CamaroCollection Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | CamaroCollection Interior Accessories Kit | Headlight Armor Smoke Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Custom Plate & Plate Frame | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties
Old 08-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
JR 1

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
It could. My concern would be the stock resonator is tuned for this specific engine to cancel out the undesireable frequencies, but the Magnaflow resonator is a generic part designed to put on any car. You may get lucky or you may not.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
IneedAZ

When I removed my rear resonators I noticed little to no difference is sound good or bad. As stated before, I still have resonators after the converters, but they are high flow. I have Solo High flow cats that come with high flow resonators.
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Michelin PSS tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, 3/4" intake spacer, and ported intake. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
snymat68

So with this setup from front to back:

CAI intake,
Vmax ported throttle body,
stock LFX engine with integral headers,
stock cats,
stock upstream resonators,
Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (in place of stock h-pipe),
MRT v2's,

would it sound better with or without the downstream resonators?
Aesthetic Mods
Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
IneedAZ

Think it will be personal preference, but as I stated I didnt notice much difference in sound. The reason I can say that as it was my last exhaust mod. The converters and x pipe were done months earlier and mufflers last year. So, I debated for along time if I should remove them and run 2.5" exhaust from x pipe to mufflers without any resonators especially since my x is not resonated, but I will say no regret. In fact the car feels to pull better.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
seanurban

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS triple black
Put a j pipe on and that should help with the drone.
seanurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
VcrusaderV
Devin

Drives: 2012 ZL-1
Usually the first thing I do is delete the resonators and muffler and just run strait pipes. IMO it's sounds great! Some folks don't like a loud exhaust but I do. What additional drone exists is drowned by the deep and loud beautiful sound of the engine. I've done this with two of my previous SS's but not on my ZL, I'm not sure what is safe to do on this car and I don't want to mess anything up.

2012 ZL-1 Camaro
Victory Red
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
VcrusaderV, this info isn't really applicable to the V-6 subset. It doesn't work for us.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote